Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2019
Quick question for anyone with time.

Lately, DD seems to be making contact with a weak push "out front." Contact is at her front foot, it just looks to me like she is leaning back and her arms have nothing behind them. Maybe she is just reaching with the stride foot? She seems to get the tip of the bat, or often rolls over the top, without rolling her hands.

A second question, she seems to get to toe touch with her stride leg coiled. Should her front knee and hip be opening just before?

The recent swings attached illustrate what I mentioned that I think I'm seeing above.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any help.

I would leave her hands/arms alone. She is reaching with the stride foot. Her move looks exactly like my daughters did a year ago. Look at her hips in relation to that red exercise ball in the background. Watch how far her head goes back when she gathers. Notice how doesn't really go anywhere. She goes backwards loads her hands and then carries that position back to the start point. Get her to tone down that backwards move and get her moving forward. Ball out front on the tee will help. The real fun starts when you try to fix this against a moving ball! With all that said I there is a lot of good in that swing! I like her athleticism and I like how direct she is to the ball!

Nov 16, 2017
She is swinging up hill big time. She needs to swing down to the ball. I would have her do the Barry Bonds drill. Have her pound the ball into the ground and then slowly bring it up to line drives.

Nov 18, 2015
[...]
The recent swings attached illustrate what I mentioned that I think I'm seeing above.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any help.

I’ve only read/watched the last few posts.

But I’m more impressed by the swing she didn’t take ( :10 mark). I think she has a very successful softball career ahead of her, if she’s already able to tell when something isn’t quite right, and “reset” herself like that. That’s NOT a typical 10U approach / mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 12, 2020
I’ve only read/watched the last few posts.

But I’m more impressed by the swing she didn’t take ( :10 mark). I think she has a very successful softball career ahead of her, if she’s already able to tell when something isn’t quite right, and “reset” herself like that. That’s NOT a typical 10U approach / mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We spoke about this very thing! After the swing I asked her what was so impressive about that at bat, her thoughts were that she felt she barreled it well. I was like "No!" Damn right I praised the heck out of that. She still sways, but I thought it was so neat she caught herself drifting back over her rear leg.

Thanks for the input everyone! We swung away on some soft toss on Sunday, and yesterday we got in a cage for the 1st time. We haven't focused on anyone thing yet, besides timing.

The cage was interesting, to say the least, and I was very happy with her effort.

Dec 12, 2020
Here are a couple of the swings from the cage on Monday. It was cool to see her swing through a ball coming at her with some velocity. Swinging through and with attitude is a new development for her; she's excited. Her confidence is growing.

She had quite a bit of difficulty timing her sequence, and she constantly rushed to get the barrel going. I'd say 80% she shot towards 1st base or foul, but they were hit pretty hard. The first swing in this video demonstrates how most of her swings were. The 2nd she is a little more ontime.

One neat thing is you can hear the machine spit the balls, and correlate that to her movements. We watched together; I think the "timing" aspect clicked.

Jun 5, 2019
I love the fact that she is in there against velocity in early February. It's hard to watch them struggle but it is necessary! Front toss from up close and tee all off season does not get them prepared. I use the velocity work as a test of sorts. I don't say anything about mechanics but I make note of what broke down and try to address during the week.

Feb 25, 2020
I love the fact that she is in there against velocity in early February. It's hard to watch them struggle but it is necessary! Front toss from up close and tee all off season does not get them prepared. I use the velocity work as a test of sorts. I don't say anything about mechanics but I make note of what broke down and try to address during the week.

Indeed! Id like to know what you are thinking about those swings BM.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here are a couple of the swings from the cage on Monday. It was cool to see her swing through a ball coming at her with some velocity. Swinging through and with attitude is a new development for her; she's excited. Her confidence is growing.

She had quite a bit of difficulty timing her sequence, and she constantly rushed to get the barrel going. I'd say 80% she shot towards 1st base or foul, but they were hit pretty hard. The first swing in this video demonstrates how most of her swings were. The 2nd she is a little more ontime.

One neat thing is you can hear the machine spit the balls, and correlate that to her movements. We watched together; I think the "timing" aspect clicked.

pretty good. Gotta fix the balance though. It should clean up the spinning. And the ‘timing’ you speak of. She needs to feel hitting up against a firm front side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00