Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Unsure with light hitting? He hit well, no doubt. I think the 90s and 00s skewed my perception, and I'm an StL guy through and through.
No..Ozzie couldn’t really hit but he didn’t rneed to. I commented that your DD reminded me of mine and light-hitting who displays her athleticism at SS fits my DD to a T the last year or so.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Funny thing, I purchased the swingrail for her, maybe three years ago...it was way too soon. She never really rolled over, but she had a cast like Bill Dance. Maybe I'll pull it out, if I can find it.

Contact and line drives is our goal. She doesn't identify mentally as a hitter, I'm trying hard to hype her up enjoying this process and change that. I tell her she's a hitter if she says she is and works. That the results will come, be it this year or the next. I'm hoping she buys in. She hasn't experienced success, but in previous years we haven't put in the time. She's been our Ozzie Smith, a light hitting SS with great glove rhythm.

Getting consistent with hard contact, but even more, juat stepping to the plate with a commanding, confident presence would be a big step.
Swingrail used at 50 percent dry swings to develop a feeling. Trying to hit with it at full speed is very frustrating.

Dec 12, 2020
With the deltoid drill, is it normal to intensify bat wrap? She always has an issue with it, but it seemed magnified with this. The stillness with her hands is encouraging though. Also, she probably reached toe touch better than she ever has.

Any input on if a change should be made at how she attempted the deltoid drill below?

One is the drill yesterday, the other a normal swing from the day before.
23b6576ec7577ae139b0314dd1365f19.gif
6fd2e05ec44127b2ac689e290e6ddee2.gif

Jun 8, 2016
With the deltoid drill, is it normal to intensify bat wrap? She always has an issue with it, but it seemed magnified with this. The stillness with her hands is encouraging though. Also, she probably reached toe touch better than she ever has.

Any input on if a change should be made at how she attempted the deltoid drill below?

If you want her to work from the neck slot off the tee ( to try and keep her connected to the shoulder more), I would have her do the Babe Ruth drill. Have her try and maintain the angles in her shoulders and hips that she starts with as she moves out. When she launches doing that she will probably engage the upper back naturally. Right now she is counter-rotating her upper half a bit too much on the tee (which is a typical problem with kids) when she is starting in the neck slot which is why she is wrapping.

IMO, I wouldn't try and give her too much technical instruction TBH. Explain (and show if you can) to her how you want her to do the drill and then let her work with it. Remind her every so often how you would like it to be done, without telling her she isn't doing it correctly.... :cautious:

Also it is probably going to be slow going until she figures out how to control her body better in space. You can see that just from her two different front toss swings you showed. Her movements were not consistent even from 1 day to the next...I know all too well about that unfortunately. If she stays confident and aggressive she will probably be fine as she works through her mechanics. I haven't done a good job with the last sentence the past few seasons tbh..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Wow! She figured it out quick. Ok one more thought/ feeling I would suggest. Quiet eyes. See the empty tee. Also put tee back 4 or 5 inches. She won't like it but her stride is a little long.

Dec 12, 2020
If you want her to work from the neck slot off the tee ( to try and keep her connected to the shoulder more), I would have her do the Babe Ruth drill. Have her try and maintain the angles in her shoulders and hips that she starts with as she moves out. When she launches doing that she will probably engage the upper back naturally. Right now she is counter-rotating her upper half a bit too much on the tee (which is a typical problem with kids) when she is starting in the neck slot which is why she is wrapping.

IMO, I wouldn't try and give her too much technical instruction TBH. Explain (and show if you can) to her how you want her to do the drill and then let her work with it. Remind her every so often how you would like it to be done, without telling her she isn't doing it correctly.... :cautious:

Also it is probably going to be slow going until she figures out how to control her body better in space. You can see that just from her two different front toss swings you showed. Her movements were not consistent even from 1 day to the next...I know all too well about that unfortunately. If she stays confident and aggressive she will probably be fine as she works through her mechanics. I haven't done a good job with the last sentence the past few seasons tbh..

Yeah, I want to put together a consistent hitting routine the hammers in some muscle memory, and heed your advice and slow down introducing anything new. Praise for her doing things correctly (whether she does or not) is definitely key. Correction is so hard, and an art for sure, especially for parents.

In January we'll transition to more toss, less tee. I just want her stay aggressive and be cool with failing extravagantly.

Dec 12, 2020
Wow! She figured it out quick. Ok one more thought/ feeling I would suggest. Quiet eyes. See the empty tee. Also put tee back 4 or 5 inches. She won't like it but her stride is a little long.
She did well, I let her know it, especially because she was very disinterested in it. I praised her again today - without even asking her to swing. She probably thought I was crazy.
Not sure what happened with the tee. We normally keep her stride at a bat length with the tee set with the front foot at launch. Either she took a longer stride, or I had the tee incorrect

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812