Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
pretty good. Gotta fix the balance though. It should clean up the spinning. And the ‘timing’ you speak of. She needs to feel hitting up against a firm front side.
Thanks WW. It seems some tell me to "fix the balance" others say to swing outta her shoes. Or do you mean the balance pre-pitch? The sway she has?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
First thing to fix and it's an easy one. Turn her back foot at least parallel to the front of plate (no duck foot) My DD is experimenting with having back foot turned in even slightly more and I think it's a big help in controlling overloading (rotation) and also keeps both eyes on the ball better. She drops her hands. I know first pitch was low but she does it on second pitch too and ends upswinging uphill. Hence the out of balance spinny fallback. Her stride may be a touch too wide too. Her belly button should move laterally about the same distance as front foot. She is reaching out with her front foot which also contributes to her shoulders not staying downhill long enough.Shoulders need to be downhill longer. All that being said, 10 y/o stoking 50 mph is impressive.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
The hands dropping is our priority. I hope if we can get them back and in sync with the stride, much of this will come together? She knows, but just can't seem to help herself, lol. We'll keep working on it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks WW. It seems some tell me to "fix the balance" others say to swing outta her shoes. Or do you mean the balance pre-pitch? The sway she has?

yes. The body sway back. You can find the balance point in her stance by feeling the pull of the hand set against the new balance point of the head while in a 50/50 stance. Just try and maintain that balance point during load.

‘Swing as hard as you like as long as you can hit the center’ -Tiger Woods

1612478152158.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The hands dropping is our priority. I hope if we can get them back and in sync with the stride, much of this will come together? She knows, but just can't seem to help herself, lol. We'll keep working on it.

go ahead and copy your dds hitting position and see if your hands don’t drop. She’s just compensating for the imbalance. Doing a good job of it as well. Still barreling the ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Quick question for anyone with time.

Lately, DD seems to be making contact with a weak push "out front." Contact is at her front foot, it just looks to me like she is leaning back and her arms have nothing behind them. Maybe she is just reaching with the stride foot? She seems to get the tip of the bat, or often rolls over the top, without rolling her hands.

A second question, she seems to get to toe touch with her stride leg coiled. Should her front knee and hip be opening just before?

The recent swings attached illustrate what I mentioned that I think I'm seeing above.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any help.

The swing(location of ball) should drop the back(rear) shoulder.....not drop rear shoulder then swing up.
miguel-cabrera-side.gif

Dec 12, 2020
The swing(location of ball) should drop the back(rear) shoulder.....not drop rear shoulder then swing up.
miguel-cabrera-side.gif
I like this explanation, thank you.

It makes sense that if DD has a bit more balance as WW noted, she'll "be back" in better time to get a read and go "down" to it instead of up? Am I understanding that correctly?

Appreciate all the help, again. I'm sure it won't be the last.

Jun 8, 2016

It makes sense that if DD has a bit more balance as WW noted, she'll "be back" in better time to get a read and go "down" to it instead of up? Am I understanding that correctly?

If you cannot move out correctly a lot of things get out of whack..I have firsthand experience with this. Keep working, she'll get there.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

this is very very correct. As well as astute. She will be able to to be much more vertical to the ball instead of horizontal. The load of the core and the ‘tall to fall’ can happen on time and naturally. With the right intent she should be on her way.

1612710425214.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi