Stealing signs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
We played in a tournament this weekend and my daughter had pitched 3 games given up 3 hits on a perfect placed bunt, looper and a solid hit and one run. She pitches the championship game 2 solid hits, and a number of in between soft hits we just can’t get too. They score a number of runs in the first inning. :eek:

Second inning first batter a solid hit, left hander 2 strikes and my daughter is given a screw ball from the catcher and she hears the first base coach yell a number and go with that pitch. She thinks they are stealing out signs, and changes to an inside drop, and freezes the batter. Batter looks at the coach and yells what was that. :eek:

The remainder of the game no hits, or runs, we come back and loose by one run. In the old days even in Little League when someone was caught stealing signs, chin music. I would never tell my daughter to throw at a batter, but was curious about how some of you handle when you realize you signs are being stolen? :confused:

Oct 19, 2009
We had an issue with that last year and went to a more complex sign system. Three signs for each pitch. One of the signs that we give is "catcher's choice" and another is "pitcher's choice" (give credit to Hal Skinner for that idea). That way sometimes even I don't know what's coming. Seems to be working well for my 11u team and so far I don't see anyone even trying to steal our signs.

Mar 13, 2010
Smart girl!

I wouldn't thow chin music for stealing signs, that's part of the game!

How I was taught by my older catcher at 15 was that she would flash four signs for me. Every dig the number the sign was would change. So the first dig, my sign would be on the first signal. Second dig it would be on the fourth. It would change all the time. She had quite an involved system!

I'm currently working with our 16 year old catcher for signs. (my normal catcher doesn't give them) We're very basic right now, but I've still got her changing them. Hopefully she'll soon be at a point that I'll follow them! (I can't break her of the 2nd strike, throw a change up. To me that is blindingly obvious what's coming)

What your daughter did was perfect.

Jul 26, 2010
Someone needs to watch coach Weaver's video to learn how to give signs without the base coaches being able to see them.

This is unless of course the team still has one of those really insecure coaches who calls pitches instead of the catcher. Those guys are unhelpable.

-W

Sep 3, 2009
Someone needs to watch coach Weaver's video to learn how to give signs without the base coaches being able to see them.

I'd second that. If it's done correctly, neither base coach should be able to see the signs being given. Make sure your catcher has her knees closer toghether, so that they aren't pointing down the baselines, or outside of the baselines. Think of a line going from hips to the knees to SS, and to 2b. About the width of two fists should do it. And the sign hand stays above the bottom, right in the crotch area, not hanging down in the dirt.

Oct 19, 2009
This is unless of course the team still has one of those really insecure coaches who calls pitches instead of the catcher. Those guys are unhelpable.

-W

I've seen Coach Weaver's video and it has been my bible for coaching catchers.

However I must be one of those unhelpable coaches. My kids are 11u. I do let the catchers call pitches during practices and scrimmages. They aren't ready to call them in real competition however, just my opinion at this age and based on the calls they make on their own. I am teaching our catchers to watch hitters habits in the box and they will signal me if someone is stepping out or crowding, etc. It's a progression.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I would never tell my daughter to throw at a batter, but was curious about how some of you handle when you realize you signs are being stolen? :confused:

Part of the game. If you figured out the opposing team's signs, wouldn't you use it to your advantage? Change your signs if you think the other team has figured out yours.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is a topic that constantly comes up. First giving multiple signs is always a good thing. Also your catcher should have a plan anytime a runner is on second. So that shouldn't be any different to swith to that system if a coach is calling pitches. Some things to think about. We have a signaling system that includes an indicator for "glove signs." In other words, where the catcher's glove is located is a sign. Most people don't think about the signs being given that open. I think that Cindy Bristow has a great article on catcher signs on this site. I've read that article multiple times and think it is an ingenious way of signaling pitches. Something else to think about, give 3 signs and if odd inning then first sign and if even inning last sign. That makes it easy for the pitcher. What we've also allowed is that once a sign is given, the pitcher can brush their leg to "add." For example, if 1 is given the pitcher brushes her leg twice, now the number is three. The pitcher will throw the sign that adds up to the given signal and the brushes. That messes with a lot of teams that try to signal from second. I hope some of this helps.

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen Coach Weaver's video and it has been my bible for coaching catchers.

However I must be one of those unhelpable coaches. My kids are 11u. I do let the catchers call pitches during practices and scrimmages. They aren't ready to call them in real competition however, just my opinion at this age and based on the calls they make on their own. I am teaching our catchers to watch hitters habits in the box and they will signal me if someone is stepping out or crowding, etc. It's a progression.

Why do you think they are not ready to call them in real competition? Because they can't call them as good as you can? I bet you can hit a ball better then an 11 year old as well, do you hit for them in real competition? What about fielding, are you doing that too?

I get a kick out of all the bucket coaches who get a rise from fooling a 10 year old into swinging at a change-up. . . they're just so smart! I imagine the 10 year old catchers would get an even bigger grin when they made the right call. . . and more importantly, they might actually learn something when they make the wrong call.

I agree that it's a progression, but just like you teach your catcher to throw to 2b on every single steal (so they learn), they need to call pitches as well. . . that's how they learn.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi