Hitting a pitch that bounced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Fun from 10u fall ball rec game with several players on both teams moving up from 8u that I umpired today. In this league, in 10u, the coach comes in to pitch after three walks in an inning. The coach pitches the ball short of the plate. It bounces, and the batter swings and hits the ball. I point fair and look to see what happens. The batter-runner reaches first safely.

Defensive coaches look confused but don't call time and ask me anything. A parent behind me in the stands goes, "What is this, rugby?"

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yogi Berra was well-documented as the best bad ball hitter in baseball. He hit a bunch of balls that bounced in front of the plate.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Our 10u has coach pitch after a walk. I do all the coach pitching, but last year, one of the girls on the team could not hit me. Or, more accurately, I could not figure out how to hit her bat. So my DW would pitch to her and only her. My DW is NOT good at in-game coach pitching at all.

Twice during the season, DW bounced what would have been strike three to this girl. She hit both of them. Both for hits. I'm not sure, but I think they were her only two hits of the season (she made contact other times).

Both times the idiot parents for the other teams screamed about it not being allowed or fair or whatever. The one time the other team's coach asked if it was legal. Of course it is, and I actually think it's kind of a dumb question. Why wouldn't it be allowed? What about the ball hitting the ground first means the batter should not be allowed to swing at it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles