Correcting pitcher during game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Thank you all very much for your responses. I very much appreciate that not all answers are cookie cutter since every daughter is different. I'll also be asking her coach (who was a D3 pitcher) on what she thinks as far as corrections in games today at her lesson.

May 13, 2023
It was mentioned the DD is 8, so she's probably not throwing hard/fast enough to hurt an adult.
But it could still be in her mind as a response mechanism to concern.
In games she will be throwing against other kids that is where the issue arises. Possibly not feel confident about herself yet. Consider how some 8-year-olds might feel if they hit their mom with the ball. 🤷‍♀️ Kids are different and react differently.

May 13, 2023
I know a dad who hid his pain so his daughter wouldn't see it. Until he was catching her with flip-flops on and split out his big toe... visible injury exposed.
His daughter was nine.

Mar 29, 2023
But it could still be in her mind as a response mechanism to concern. Consider how some 8-year-olds might feel if they hit their mom with the ball. 🤷‍♀️ Kids are different and react differently.

That's fair. Maybe also worth really doing some introspection on whether it's truly a mental thing or just a real problem with lack of accuracy/focus. It's much easier to forget about or write off wild pitches when practicing just pitch and catch, then become shocked when batters get hit when they're in there. Either way, practicing with an obstacle (human or not) is a good way to help figure that out.

Jun 11, 2013
Not a pitching coach (head coach of the team), but I do sit on the bucket at her lessons and shut up to learn from her coach as well. We practice at home what her coach teachers her and I don't tell her anything that her coach doesn't.
I was trying to say that most coaches aren't pitching coaches so they really aren't able to correct a pitching mechanics during a game.

May 13, 2023
Whatever the words are going to speak to a player during the game staying on the positive side or utilize words in a positive way will have a better chance at a positive outcome.

For instance have q words for throwing overhand
which is 'high five'
can say high five to the field and it can be a very supportive sounding phrase at the same time a reminder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles