Two calls from last night:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
We just had the worst strike zone I’ve ever seen in all of dds softball career last night but nobody threatened him nobody cursed at him because it’s a game! We were all glad for the game to end and see him leave and hopefully we won’t see him again. It’s frustrating but despite that I would never condone what happens sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
I am under concussion protocol and shouldn't be typing this, but I don't think I told this story, and I willn't look.

I've done two JV games for the school, of which the varsity coach threatened my umpires. He has been given a one-game suspension for "unsportsmanship conduct." CIF does not have a harsher penalty for threatening to beat up umpires. Sad.

The funny thing is if I had not been such a nice guy, the field would of been unplayable for the varsity game Thursday.

Anyway, the single coach of the JV game is an absolute angel. I have enjoyed doing her games, and she respects I treat their low-level JV games with the same respect I would treat an open division section championship (though I'm at least three years away from being good enough for that).

I showed up at her 4:00 PM game earlier this week at 3:20 PM earlier and instead of immediately calling the game with the field unplayable, encouraged the JV to get a wheel barrel of dirt from the baseball team, and two bags of Turface. I spent 45 minutes helping shovel out the water and fill in the lower area around 3B and some other slightly muddy areas on the field. I did not call the game until 4:20PM when the field apparently needed at least two hours to dry out.
@Dabears17 . . . you are a far better man than me!

As I was reading that, my thought was: "Shame on the school for not calling the game before the visitors traveled and the umpire(s) arrived."

While your association may not have a penalty for assaulting an official (yes, that is what it is when you threaten to beat somebody up), I'm sure your state laws do. If that is indeed what the coach did, it should not be allowed to pass.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

I just checked my voice mails. Need to deal with a high school coach yesterday allegedly threatening physical harm to my umpires after they ejected him.

And folks wonder why there are a few crappy umpires out there and a shortage of officials. We are human and make a couple mistakes a game. This is not directed at CB, but everyone but umpires are allowed to make mistakes during softball games.

Umpires can make bad calls.

Umpires better not do a single damn thing that jeopardizes player safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619