Correcting pitcher during game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi everyone, I was wondering when the best time to tell our pitchers they need to correct something during a game.

After the inning? After the game? During the inning?

The thing is my daughter does things mostly right when we're practicing at home or she's just throwing to her catcher...but as soon as a batter is in the box, she just loses focus and I think it's because she doesn't want to hit the batter (which is completely understandable).

She can physically throw great so I think it's all mental when she breaks down with a batter in the box. I don't want to put extra pressure on her, but at the same time I don't want her to form bad habits. Typically I'll say something like "that was a good throw, but let's finish tall." It's never anything in a harsh tone, but at the same time I don't want to feel like she needs to rely on me to correct her.

Jun 11, 2013
Hi everyone, I was wondering when the best time to tell our pitchers they need to correct something during a game.

After the inning? After the game? During the inning?

The thing is my daughter does things mostly right when we're practicing at home or she's just throwing to her catcher...but as soon as a batter is in the box, she just loses focus and I think it's because she doesn't want to hit the batter (which is completely understandable).

She can physically throw great so I think it's all mental when she breaks down with a batter in the box. I don't want to put extra pressure on her, but at the same time I don't want her to form bad habits. Typically I'll say something like "that was a good throw, but let's finish tall." It's never anything in a harsh tone, but at the same time I don't want to feel like she needs to rely on me to correct her.
Unless you are a PC you most don't really know enough to make good in game comments. I don't think what you are doing is bad but I would make sure she is OK with it. It's not fair to the kid to have the parent try and coach them during a game if they don't want it done.

May 13, 2021
Unless you are a PC you most don't really know enough to make good in game comments. I don't think what you are doing is bad but I would make sure she is OK with it. It's not fair to the kid to have the parent try and coach them during a game if they don't want it done.
I would say this depends on how involved the parent is during pitching lessons and pitching practice between lessons. Most likely they are the most qualified person there.

Not a pitching coach (head coach of the team), but I do sit on the bucket at her lessons and shut up to learn from her coach as well. We practice at home what her coach teachers her and I don't tell her anything that her coach doesn't.

I would say this depends on how involved the parent is during pitching lessons and pitching practice between lessons. Most likely they are the most qualified person there.
To that end, there are 3 other girls pitching on the team and I don't correct them at all since they go to their own lessons and it's not my place to correct them since I'm not personally involved with their pitching. To them I just say encouraging stuff.

Mar 29, 2023
It needs to be a cue she has worked on and has context on. I like to focus on 1-2 cues BEFORE the game and we lock them in mentally before she steps on the field, so she can reiterate them to herself if she's struggling.

The best scenario is teaching them why things go wrong so they can correct themselves, and avoid saying anything at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles