SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If I knew how to insert vids and pix into these screens I would, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

IUBI ...

1) Left click on "Reply With Quote", "Reply" or "Reply to Thread"

2) On the top of the post you will be creating will be three symbols to the right of B, I, A ... they are symbols for "Insert Link", "Insert Image" and "Insert Video".

3) To insert a link, left click on "Insert Link" ... a dialog box will open up for you to paste the link into.

4) To insert a GIF, left click on "Insert image", and past the URL of your GIF.

5) To insert a Youtube video, left click on "Insert Video" and past the Youtube URL in the dialog box.

R

RayR

This is my preference - I want my hitters to get into as low of a position still being able to swing a bat. Uncomfortably low for them. We can always work up. Some of my players ended up prefering a lower position once they got used to it.

NicolevMercy..jpgHollivMercy..jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pedroia :

YouTube - MrBatSpeed's Channel

see comparison clip at 4 min mark comparing rearward arc of pedroia to no rearward arc.
this "hand mechanic" (forearms) is important in preventing drag. hand/forearm action is essential in providing resistance that enhances "connection" by produicing a "stretch and fire" (separation/"cusp") that provides "early batspeed" - a deeper bat, more read time, quick acceleration, adjustability and "efficient speed gains" (enquist/candrea/slaught "addition" concept).

Tom ... right on the money.

This is why Wooten uses what CO was doing as an example of "Bad Teachings". His point is, simply use correct mechanics and you don't have to worry about "bat drag".

You have to admit ... "bat drag" wasn't an issue at HI. I don't recall any struggles on it ... there was simply a focus on mechanics that made 'bat drag' something that wasn't an issue. As Shawn states ... the focus should be on proper mechanics.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Posture is one of the things that we have spent some time working on, and it's not terrible (at least in this clip).

BatDrag_Before_CLIENT_006_004_001_SF.gif

However, I have seen some variability (which is common).

This view shows the leaking back elbow, and how it causes the barrel to dump, quite well.

Further evidence that he fails to connect in the proper sequence. Represents a swing void of the actions to establish connection.

dvolc7.gif

R

RayR

OK FFS, Oleary put up some clips - how about you? Instead of beating him up using his son - how about showing a student/player of yours?

As an aside - do you believe better posture would help tighten things up?

Oct 12, 2009
As an aside - do you believe better posture would help tighten things up?

While his posture could be improved further, and I use Pete Rose as an example, it's far from the worse I've seen and as a result posture is lower down on my list of priorities.

ibl2rk.jpg

I think the next priority is to address the fanning open of the front foot and the sequencing of the front foot and start of the swing -- because what he is doing right now is too top-down -- so as to further improve his efficiency and power.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While his posture could be improved further, and I use Pete Rose as an example, it's far from the worse I've seen and as a result posture is lower down on my list of priorities.

ibl2rk.jpg

I think the next priority is to address the fanning open of the front foot and the sequencing of the front foot and start of the swing -- because what he is doing right now is too top-down -- so as to further improve his efficiency and power.

Just a thought CO ... but consider giving a bit more thought to BD/TheAdditions claim that this swing does not represent a fix to bat drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut