Hitting advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Simple top down opinion...she needs to be YES YES YES, or YES YES NO on every pitch, her timing cue needs to be corrected, she needs to load and start the step much earlier in the process. IF you are late, you are dead in the water 100%. IF you are early, you can hold the toe touch then heel slam to snap of the bat. Everything becomes impossible if timing is off or you are super late in what I see here.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Hey all,

Looking for some advice to help my DD on her swing. Hoping for some practical advice that we can utilize.

Seem to have the following issues lately.
1) seems to be late, lots of balls at first base or fouled off.
2) lots of hitting under or on top of the ball. Not squaring up the ball well.
3) seemingly limited power compared to fall ball.

She has been working with a hitting coach for about a year now and things were going in the right direction but we’ve seen since seemingly lost progress. I’m thinking the issue is bat drag. The elbow is dropping too soon I think. What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.

Here is a hitter I started working with recently. She has the same issue your dd has imo. We’ve worked only on getting the front foot up and stretching. On the left side is on a pitching machine. The right side is her original swing from first lesson. This was our second lesson. She told me timing wasn’t an issue but the swing says otherwise. She’s gotten by just being rushed all the time. Never gets to a fully stretched launch position on time. I give her the verbal command to “go”. That’s foot up and stretch. After a tick or two I put it in the machine. Now what she does after launch will need to be worked on later. Getting comfortable with foot up and stretch takes a lot of time. We went from tees to side toss to front toss to the machine.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here is a hitter I started working with recently. She has the same issue your dd has imo. We’ve worked only on getting the front foot up and stretching. On the left side is on a pitching machine. The right side is her original swing from first lesson. This was our second lesson. She told me timing wasn’t an issue but the swing says otherwise. She’s gotten by just being rushed all the time. Never gets to a fully stretched launch position on time. I give her the verbal command to “go”. That’s foot up and stretch. After a tick or two I put it in the machine. Now what she does after launch will need to be worked on later. Getting comfortable with foot up and stretch takes a lot of time. We went from tees to side toss to front toss to the machine.

If the goal is stretch and timing, why does this load take so long? And why does nothing get stretched? The load is about the middle getting primed against the top and bottom right? So let’s make it about that. The hips get out against the both legs and the core which stretches out top side against the hands staying up/back, right?

The before had some stretch. Leaks it early though. The new one does not. It’s very spinny and around. If you work on the hands the body will conform. She’s under or swinging up in both so I would start there. It’s amazing what the hands path/intent can change. All the space in the world above the torso which keeps things closed wo thinking.

1689078972787.gif

Just my .02

Aug 20, 2017
If the goal is stretch and timing, why does this load take so long? And why does nothing get stretched? The load is about the middle getting primed against the top and bottom right? So let’s make it about that. The hips get out against the both legs and the core which stretches out top side against the hands staying up/back, right?

The before had some stretch. Leaks it early though. The new one does not. It’s very spinny and around. If you work on the hands the body will conform. She’s under or swinging up in both so I would start there. It’s amazing what the hands path/intent can change. All the space in the world above the torso which keeps things closed wo thinking.

View attachment 28340

Just my .02
It’s a “drill” on the pitching machine. How do you know nothing is stretched lol. We are developing the feel of getting the front foot up as early as possible. Coil (back butt check to the pitcher/stretched rear leg), stretch (the upper working as a fused unit working against the body’s forward advancement). I give them the command to “go” which triggers them to foot up and stretch. After that I wait just a tick before putting ball in machine to try to get them to learn to control the move forward move and not just fall forward. I want the them to swing from the neck slot and not get too armsy. The goal is to get to a consistent launch position (hands around rear shoulder) on time every time. I don’t agree with loading the core or any of that. Not saying it doesn’t happen. I teach to load the rear leg and stretch the upper. The original swing is rushed. Just like the OP dd. If she was my student this is where we would start. We exaggerate the slowness to get the feel. It takes a hitter time to get to a fully loaded launch position. Thus the slowness of the load in the vid. It isn’t that far off from how I want her to load during a game. Foot up on the back swing. This player didn’t come to me for hitting lessons because she’s a monster hitter.

Aug 20, 2017
View attachment 28343

The drag is a clue. That said, Rome wasn't built in a day.
The drag is from getting the hands not activated at go. She’s an arms swinger. This was the first time we added velocity. Can’t give too much to think about. She accomplished what I wanted her to. Foot up and coil. We do hands stuff as a part of every lesson but after reviewing her video from first lesson I felt that foot up and coil needed to be our focus

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The hands need to get loaded in order for them to activate at go. A little tip of the top hand against the handle toward the pitcher will help that feel.

What do you see here? I think this is a pretty good example of what Work was referring to regarding stretch. Betts is hyper mobile (like many females, especially younger ones) so it is easy to see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles