SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
I'm tired of FFS' constantly teasing his "action that establishes connection," so here are some of his words on the topic

One ‘connection’ is...the rear hip thrust can be considered the ‘action’ establishing a ‘connection’ from the rear hip to the upper torso. That basically serves as half of the connection that you described.

Another ‘connection’ can be thought as a connection between the hands/bat to the upper torso. The ‘action’ that some may consider responsible for establishing that ‘connection’ is the act of “turning the barrel” … or the ‘swivel’.

Some of this can be very hard to taught to a younger student, especially one who is just starting to become receptive to the idea that mechanics can vary and be either good or bad. You can talk a good game, but it's much harder to come up with drills to get a headstrong kid to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
First, some of this can be very hard to taught to a younger student, especially one who is just starting to become receptive to the idea that mechanics can vary and be either good or bad. You can talk a good game, but it's much harder to come up with drills to get a headstrong kid to do this.

This is incorrect. There is an entire website in which this concept has been taught to young hitters. Your assertion here is simply not correct … as there is evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
Does anyone, other than FFS, seriously believe that this video doesn't show a kid who's on the path to dealing with bat drag?

ibl2rk.jpg

He keeps saying it, but I doubt if anyone else is actually believing it.

R

RayR

While his posture could be improved further, and I use Pete Rose as an example, it's far from the worse I've seen and as a result posture is lower down on my list of priorities.

ibl2rk.jpg

I think the next priority is to address the fanning open of the front foot and the sequencing of the front foot and start of the swing -- because what he is doing right now is too top-down -- so as to further improve his efficiency and power.

I understand and at the same time do not understand. What do you have to lose addressing posture? It is the P in PCR...it is not CRP or RCP...

Slack in the system is what your son illustrates - tighten things up and watch him hit the ball harder...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Does anyone, other than FFS, seriously believe that this video doesn't show a kid who's on the path to dealing with bat drag?

ibl2rk.jpg

He keeps saying it, but I doubt if anyone else is actually believing it.

CO, I like this drill ... for the reasons I've already stated. I use this drill. That said, BD/TheAddtion was, IMO anyway, dead on the money when he stated that it masks 'bat drag'. You can not tell from this drill, if bat drag has been cured. Re-read BD's points on that topic. They were valid IMO.

Oct 25, 2009
Notice how the bat drag improves somewhat when the hips lead the swing. Another thing I'm noticing is the hands dropping (or excess tilt maybe) for a ball on the tee almost at the top of the strike zone. The swing in this case should be near level.

If I was working with CO's kid on this issue I would have him take his full swing and freeze after follow through. Then have him bring his hands back to the launch position while keeping his hips in the follow-through position. Have him swing off the tee in this position for 5-10 swings; then swing normally 5 or so swings. Repeat until bat drag is gone. This is also a good drill to use for front toss; really works the core.

I've even had girls swing from this position after two strikes in a game. Not as much power but almost impossible to miss the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBP ... hope people read your description well enough to follow it. You basically just described the Stretch-and-Fire drill. A good drill IMO ... especially if it is used in a progression sequence ... something that I believe Howard does as well.

Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.