Another 10u Swing Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think if you simply fix the sequence things will clean up for the most part. Learn what walk away from the hands is. Learn how to let the forward move load the upper body. this player is way to early w the upper body load so it unloads early.

The hips load during the negative move. Everything else (torso, shoulders and hands) loads during the positive move.

Jun 22, 2019
Get extended. She never releases her hands.

When she gets through the ball, the bat should point to where she is hitting the ball with her arms extended, then finish by following through over her left shoulder.

Nov 18, 2015
Look at the front elbow in post #12 (hopefully the youtube clip is showing the same still / frame). Simple cue is "turning the triangle" - elbows should keep the same distance apart throughout most of the swing. In Mike's post - it's front elbow, hands, back elbow (in height order). Your daughter's is hands, front elbow, back elbow. To me, it's like she stops using her bottom hand way too early in the swing (thus the recommendation for short bat / bottom (front) hand drills).

She's really close to establishing a good bat path - she just runs out of energy / momentum b/c her bottom hand isn't helping, and the barrel drops too much.

I really like her swing otherwise - she does a great job of keeping her shoulders "downhill" into toe-touch.

And yeah - as Pattar said - I don't think I've ever seen this issue before either - thanks for sharing!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Get extended. She never releases her hands.

When she gets through the ball, the bat should point to where she is hitting the ball with her arms extended, then finish by following through over her left shoulder.

Yes. Unless it’s later inside. The lead arm will fold a bit

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So are you saying that hand path (which at face value looks like the biggest problem) is only possible because she is lacking stretch (I do agree she could get more stretch..)? Or are you just identifying what you think the biggest issue is...

A little of both. The hands load first w the hips and are in the process of firing before toe touch. Doing hand-eccentric drills would exacerbate this imo. She’s firing her hands from a poor position.