SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2010
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a thd. clearly asking the question.

What is the difference between a power SB swing and a power BB swing?

I've had 2 sons play at high levels of BB, youngest drafted last June in 1st rnd, and have spent hundreds of hours in the cage working with them or watching them be instructed by top MLB hitting coaches. This obviously does NOT make make an expert, but I do know a little something about a BB swing and when I review a BB swing in slow motion compaired to videos of top SB hitters, I don't see much if any difference.

The reason I am asking is that we, son and I, have been trying to teach my daughter to swing just like the boys. Please tell me if there is a difference because right now I would put her up against any of the boys in her class from a mechanics standpoint. If I am wrong and there is a big difference between the 2 swings, we have some work to do.

Thanks,
Randy O

May 13, 2008
I personally don't think there is much difference in the top level swings whether they are SB or BB. For women there are some slight anatomical differences that we adjust for. The big one being the differences in the hips. Female hips are designed for giving birth, therefore have a slightly different carrying angle. Boys can generally get away with being more upright in their swings, where most girls should have a little more bend in the waist. We generally teach; bend at the waist, soften the knees (knees over toes) to get in a good athletic position.

Oct 12, 2009
I personally don't think there is much difference in the top level swings whether they are SB or BB. For women there are some slight anatomical differences that we adjust for. The big one being the differences in the hips. Female hips are designed for giving birth, therefore have a slightly different carrying angle. Boys can generally get away with being more upright in their swings, where most girls should have a little more bend in the waist. We generally teach; bend at the waist, soften the knees (knees over toes) to get in a good athletic position.

Girls also have narrower shoulders and less upper body strength, so they are more like coaching younger boys than older boys.

May 13, 2008
Girls also have narrower shoulders and less upper body strength, so they are more like coaching younger boys than older boys.

The stuff I've read is that the shoulders are not actually more narrow, but appear so because of less muscle mass. Doesn't really change anything, and in fact emphasizes your point about upper body strength.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So how is coaching the swing of a "younger boy" different than an "older boy"? Isn't everyone advocating that "from the cradle" they should emulate the elite hitters swing?

I believe they are advocating the same thing, but simply noting that "mature" hitters typically are stronger and faster. IMO, their swings have a larger margin for error and the hitters can use their strength and speed to produce a good outcome when they are slightly askew from their ideal swing pattern or timing sequence. Given this, the mechanics of less mature hitters (e.g., young boys, girls etc) need to be more refined because their strength and quickness are not as great and therefore their margin for error is smaller!

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think everyone agrees that you are doing the right thing. I just want to add that you (and DD) most likely will meet "experienced" coaches who will tell you there is a difference. DD needs to learn how to tune them out while pretending she's listening. Smile and nod and keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
So how is coaching the swing of a "younger boy" different than an "older boy"? Isn't everyone advocating that "from the cradle" they should emulate the elite hitters swing?

Older boys can get away with stuff with raw upper body strength.

That's not an option for younger boys or most girls.

They have to be more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619