Timing differences between pitching swing back vs out of glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You're dealing with something that can vary a lot from pitcher to pitcher so you're not going to get a definitive answer because the body figures it out, and interference from the thinking mind only complicates things. For instance; some pitchers come out of the glove at 6 o'clock and some as late as 3 o'clock. Some pitchers have very long, high backswings like Amanda Scarborough and some barely get back past 6 o'clock. Some pitchers have fast arm circles, others have a more measured tempo. There is a loose relationship between the stride leg and throwing arm, they both come up together, so a pitcher with a backswing is going to have start her arm motion earlier or delay her push off in comparison to an OOG pitcher who start the two at roughly the same time.
Thank goodness to read @ArmWhip sharing that not all pitchers are exactly the same!
Sooo important!!! 👍

Jan 25, 2022
Their lower body should be in roughly the same spot by 3:00 regardless of what they do or don't do before driving out. I don't think there's anything specific that anyone does. It's just where you need to be to synchronize properly, and the body falls into place with some teaching and experience. Even if she starts with the arms at 3:00 they shouldnt be going anywhere until the lower half is headed out.

May 16, 2016
Interesting, I was also looking into this topic...

Few things I've found when looking at other pitchers...

Jenny Finch brings both arms back, and they stay pretty much in sync until the throwing hand is at 3:00.

1670876174190.png1670876221375.png1670877127321.png

Amanda Scarborough Keeps her glove tucked in front. Then the glove stays ahead of the throwing hand, until the glove hits 2:00.

1670876315532.png1670876392309.png1670876430631.png1670876494929.png

Ueno glove in front. Glove moves straight up her torso. Then moves out to the 2:00 position, in a counter rotation from the ball. Actually, this is similar to Amanda's motion above now that I look at them both together.

1670877059742.png

Jul 14, 2018
Interesting topic. DD switched from a backswing to OOG during the winter break of second year 14U, so she had some miles on her before changing it up. She changed with little difficulty, so I don’t think it’s as complicated as it may sound.

Just from the photos of Ueno and Scarborough, you can see that the glove hand pauses and is bent at 1-2 o’clock. The time it takes to get to full extension is what allows the ball hand to catch up, allowing for adduction as the ball moves past 9 o’clock.

OOG has both hands moving together, so timing is less of an issue. Interestingly, Finch’s backhand motion in concert with the glove hand demonstrates one of the advantages of OOG. Imagine doing a standing long jump. To get maximum forward power, you would swing both arms synchronously ahead of your drive. OOG simulates this better than a backswing, IMHO.

Esia Rivera, who posts here occasionally, has also done some research on physical triggers in runners. He argues that the backward motion of the elbow (jabbing backwards) triggers the muscles of the opposing leg to fire, which is why runners pump their arms. By drawing back the elbow of the throwing hand, the body signals the stride leg: ‘It’s Go Time!’ Another reason that the timing is a little more natural than extending the glove hand to get in synch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Interesting, I was also looking into this topic...

Few things I've found when looking at other pitchers...

Jenny Finch brings both arms back, and they stay pretty much in sync until the throwing hand is at 3:00.

View attachment 27018View attachment 27019View attachment 27029

Amanda Scarborough Keeps her glove tucked in front. Then the glove stays ahead of the throwing hand, until the glove hits 2:00.

View attachment 27020View attachment 27021View attachment 27022View attachment 27023

Ueno glove in front. Glove moves straight up her torso. Then moves out to the 2:00 position, in a counter rotation from the ball. Actually, this is similar to Amanda's motion above now that I look at them both together.

View attachment 27028
Like the 'paying attention to individual' details!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles