Revisit: Door-knocker-knuckle grip and back elbow position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
What Len posted is what research has proven in the lab by Don Slaught at UCLA. Video proved it along with bat speed checked in the lab. It improved bat speed around 5%.

Dec 19, 2012
Nice extensive research.... Now they all just need to get the little finger under the knob... JMHO

I don't quite understand this post. There wasn't anything extensive about it. I knew it. I guess the pics don't fit into your "Perfect" little hitting world? It's all good PC, I ain't mad........

You want some extra bat "whip" through the zone?? Get those knuckles from staggered at stance to alignment at contact.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Get those knuckles from staggered at stance to alignment at contact.

How does this happen? Do you feel the hands move/slide on the handle, or is it a case of the right hand applying a little clockwise pressure (while the left hand pressures counterclockwise) during the swing? Like wringing out a towel during the swing?

Dec 19, 2012
How does this happen? Do you feel the hands move/slide on the handle, or is it a case of the right hand applying a little clockwise pressure (while the left hand pressures counterclockwise) during the swing? Like wringing out a towel during the swing?

You relax the grip on the bat, get some shoulder tilt, clear the ribcage with the front elbow, and the rest takes care of itself.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I don't quite understand this post. There wasn't anything extensive about it. I knew it. I guess the pics don't fit into your "Perfect" little hitting world? It's all good PC, I ain't mad........

You want some extra bat "whip" through the zone?? Get those knuckles from staggered at stance to alignment at contact.

From the first images you posted 2 batters looked to get their middle knuckles close to being lined up and two did not. Did Konerko and Griffey not get that "extra bat whip"?

I'm wondering, does the knuckle alignment at contact naturally change and turn with the wrist angle/unhinging of the wrists/ulnar deviation or whatever related terms are used?

Dec 7, 2011
I think we would all agree palms up/down at contact is ideal right?

So couldn't we also conclude that the easiest way to get to this ideal contact configuration is to start with opposing palms in the first place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi