Revisit: Door-knocker-knuckle grip and back elbow position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is one that I haven't seen discussed in a while -

DD is on a new team. I'm not coaching. Coach is advising a switch to ''door-knocker-knuckles aligned'' on the grip and having the elbows in the /\ position in the stance and not pointing the elbow straight back at any point during load/swing. ... My daughter starts w/ elbow pointing back, which I like, and frankly, I wish she'd hold it back a little longer, until toe touch. I think she moves toward slotting slightly soon.

Opinions? Not about the coach and how to handle that, but opinions, pros, cons of this grip and the starting point of the arms/elbows and how the back elbow/arm is used.

I know I could show the coaches Cabrera, but my point here isn't to win an argument, but to get a better understanding of this issue. Was watching Jessica Mendoza, for example. Didn't see elbow pointing straight back at any point, leading me to believe that some would argue that it's a style thing.

Franklin%20Cabrera.png

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
FFS - Didn't want to clog your PM, so thought I'd bring this back out here -

Still not sure I follow this -

''Consider the perspective of the elbow lowering to support the intention to use the hands, and not the other way around.''

Are you talking about the point at which she fires the swing at toe touch, when elbow is pointed straight back? Are you saying focus on the right hand throwing the barrel and letting the elbow support that? I'm lost. :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS - Didn't want to clog your PM, so thought I'd bring this back out here -

Still not sure I follow this -

''Consider the perspective of the elbow lowering to support the intention to use the hands, and not the other way around.''

Are you talking about the point at which she fires the swing at toe touch, when elbow is pointed straight back? Are you saying focus on the right hand throwing the barrel and letting the elbow support that? I'm lost. :)

Bold above .... yes. Could think of the top hand applying a pressure to the barrel in an orthogonal direction, as in turning the barrel.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Bold above .... yes. Could think of the top hand applying a pressure to the barrel in an orthogonal direction, as in turning the barrel.

OK, I think I get that. She still has a little 'pull (instead of throw) the barrel' in her swing, especially in games, when she gets conservative and won't trust her 'tee swing.'

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
OK, I think I get that. She still has a little 'pull (instead of throw) the barrel' in her swing, especially in games, when she gets conservative and won't trust her 'tee swing.'

This is a big step. Others have stated here and from my experience with DD. As soon as your DD can let go and trust her mechanics she will see a big step forward in her hitting. When my DD hits her best she says she just feels like she is in the cage doing hitting practice (HS broke this for a while with coaches in her ear :mad: ). Let her know it is ok no matter what, all she needs to do is see the ball and take her best swing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is a big step. Others have stated here and from my experience with DD. As soon as your DD can let go and trust her mechanics she will see a big step forward in her hitting. When my DD hits her best she says she just feels like she is in the cage doing hitting practice (HS broke this for a while with coaches in her ear :mad: ). Let her know it is ok no matter what, all she needs to do is see the ball and take her best swing.

I'll show my daughter video of her game swings sometimes and she cringes in disbelief. She thinks she's doing it when she's not. Good news is that she knows what her swing is supposed to look like. Just been much harder than I ever realized to make that transition. And I have no idea how hitting coaches can teach without seeing what their students are doing in actual games. The goal is to hit well outdoors, not in a cage.

Oct 19, 2009
Here is what Alabama coaches advised in their last clinic we attended.

Have the grip way out in the finger tips – not in the palm, align door knocking knuckles, some batting gloves have stripes on knuckles to help line up the knuckles.

Door knocking knuckles lined up = better bat control - helps a quick release of the bat head and extension.

Arms are in an upside down V as elbows resting on a dinner table, make a bicep for where the hands are to go at the starting point.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here is what Alabama coaches advised in their last clinic we attended.

Have the grip way out in the finger tips – not in the palm, align door knocking knuckles, some batting gloves have stripes on knuckles to help line up the knuckles.

Door knocking knuckles lined up = better bat control - helps a quick release of the bat head and extension.

Arms are in an upside down V as elbows resting on a dinner table, make a bicep for where the hands are to go at the starting point.

Thanks, Peppers. This instruction is common, and it's what is being advised for my daughter. So I certainly understand it's a widely held notion, and I'm not saying it's wrong. But seems to me that if you're trying to throw the barrel, then the ''door knocking knuckles lined up'' grip (and the position of the forearms if the back elbow doesn't point backward during the load) restricts this effort.

I'm pretty sure that this guy is not heeding Alabama's advice on this issue:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi