Whip/IR vs Hello Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hello Elbow” might look like these:
Softball Pitching: How To Pitch a Softball | Softball Drills & Tips Video Library | PlaySportsTV

Hello Elbow can be characterized by these points:
-Ball facing 2nd base at 12 o'clock
-Wrist cocked back--ready to snap
-Arm speed is critical
-Ball is pushed down to release
-Wrist snaps violently at the "release point."
-Hand/fingers peel up the ball
-Arm forcefully pulls up hard and finishes with the fingers touching the shoulder and elbow pointing at the target
-Hips snap through and face squarely to target after release

Arm Whip/IR looks like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6z39S19x8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQz7CKn0SS4

Whip/IR might be characterized by:
-The ball is pulled around the circle
-Lower arm is loose and relaxed, resulting in a lagged lower arm and ball
-Palm is facing upwards from 9-8 o'clock
-Upper arm pauses at the ribs allowing the lower arm/ball to accelerate
-Upper arm internally rotates, elbow stays flexed
-Lower arm wraps/rolls/brushes around the hip--triggering release
-Lower arm/wrist/hand rotates from a palm up/supinated position to a palm downish/pronated position

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020
One thing that stands out is that arm speed is critical in he but wasn't listed in whip. Past PC's and coaches have always said to DD to increase arm speed. #1 thing I always hear during a game. DD is now focusing on having a more forward arm circle than an outward one. Was thinking of telling her to slow down arm circle. Good idea?

Sep 29, 2014
While deceleration happens with the upper arm as a rule I don't use "slow down" as a cue...just sends the wrong signal.

You can slow down the arm circle a little during a drill maybe if you are trying to get her to feel or understand something but when she is actually pitching the PC is right we want to increase arm speed.

Oct 4, 2018
While deceleration happens with the upper arm as a rule I don't use "slow down" as a cue...just sends the wrong signal.

You can slow down the arm circle a little during a drill maybe if you are trying to get her to feel or understand something but when she is actually pitching the PC is right we want to increase arm speed.

Agreed. There's not much slow about fastpitch pitching. Bring it. Bring it hard, bring it fast. :)

Aug 21, 2008
Years ago, I spoke at a coaches clinic with the girl Erin in the 2nd video on H/E pitching. She didn't speak on pitching at that conference.

I didn't make it past the 2 minute mark in her video here, I just can't get over it when people still say the words "Present the ball".

Bill

Jan 17, 2020
OK - bad idea - add to all of my other bright ideas when it comes to her pitching. Glad I asked!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Years ago, I spoke at a coaches clinic with the girl Erin in the 2nd video on H/E pitching. She didn't speak on pitching at that conference.

I didn't make it past the 2 minute mark in her video here, I just can't get over it when people still say the words "Present the ball".

Bill
Yes. I agree with you Bill. I made it a little further (saw this video years ago) and as soon as she pointed the ball to 2nd base or the outfield stating the K position, I was done. SO MANY HORRIBLE videos out there of past pitchers that most likely pitched correctly but teaching to do something different that what they did and not knowing it.

Everytime I hear a past pitcher is giving lessons my first instinct is to run the other way. I hate that but just my experience. I am always like thanks but no thanks but can you tell me who your pitching coach was. I potentially want to learn from him or her.

S3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles