radial deviation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Scott we learned from the accident with our son what a head injury was and how it effected his fine motor skills. It started out with finding a base line from which to work from. He had two stacks of pennies and two cups and was timed on how fast he could fill each cup picking up one penny at a time. The head injury was above the right ear and he literally cracked his skull in half so the left side of his body was effected. He had seizures at the accident site and I have never seen anything like it, his eyes were locked to the side and the left side of his face and body shook and I can still remember his face twitched and one side of nose was twitching and the other side did not move at all. I can not touch one side of my nose without the other side moving. So the left cup always had less pennies...his balance was effected so badly that he could not walk in a straight line by putting one foot in front of the other without loosing his balance. By going to his PT sessions I learned a great deal watching them work with him and the other kids and the one thing that I installed very quickly was mirrors, full length 36 x 74 inches and I learned to say see it, feel it and then fix it. We bought a computer so he could do eye hand coordination games. Contra I think was one we could play together so he had to depend on me and I had to depend on him to win in the game. Another one was top gun. We played checkers every night and on the back of the board was the best 10 opening moves and I would not let him win so he would try harder however we learned to not let him become frustrated to the point he would shut down and not become interested in the activity. When teaching him how to throw I borrowed books from the library and watched videos. My wife was an RN so I started reading her books to learn more and over three years we started to see improvements and the neurologist was amazed at his progress. When we went anywhere we were training him to do something. If it was eating pizza how many pieces are there? 10 so give mom one how many are left 9? OK so we have 9/10 left yes or no? Everything was a learning experience or I felt like I was wasting time and running out of time. We were contacted by Ohio State University through our doctors as they wanted to do a home study of exactly what we did with him everyday and how we were teaching him how to throw and how to hit. So they filmed him for a week. They said some of our techniques had changed how they were testing for head trauma cases. So they revised their testing protocol and retested him at Miami University in Ohio which is about 30 minutes from home.

We had a parent ask us who was working with him on hitting and throwing and I said me as I was not happy with his coaches or instructors and they were do, do and if he would ask why they could not answer him and he would shut down. They wanted me to work with their kid and at first I refused as I had enough to do. Finally the wife talked me into it! The parents never told me he was LD however I could see the signs, a little bit of a lisp in their voice, they try to speak with their lips and repeat each word as I was talking. Short attention span and becoming frustrated quickly! When you teach/ coach how does the student see what you are doing in their mind? Lets take tying shoes, traditionally you stand in front of them and tie the shoe. How did they see it? Usually backwards! So I took off my shoe and placed it on the table and had him stand over my shoulder behind me so he can see it his way and he got it. How to I teach how to grip the bat? They stand behind me and I open my hand and place the bat where I want them to hold it in their bottom hand and then in their top hand. They see it like they are doing it them self. Balance is taught by bending at the waist first and softening the knees next in that sequence. Then I push on their back and chest alternately until they can feel how powerful they can be. Then I have them soften the knees first and then bend at the waist and you can push them over. Everything we have taught had to incorporate a feeling so they know why we do it a certain way and how it should feel to them. When they can hear the difference in a good swing and feel the difference and it is a light bulb moment for them and we have had moms and dads cry when it happens. I try not to be too technical however they must understand it well enough to see it in a mirror and feel it when it is right or wrong. We teach them leverage and I ask if I could pick them up with one hand? No way coach! I get out my 2x4 and block of wood and ask them to stand on the wood and I spit on my hand and say this will be tough however lets give it a try and up they go! Then I have the mom or dad stand on it and they do it! I ask them what is that laying on the ground? A bat! No a lever and how we hold or grip that lever makes a difference. I will not go into all the detail however they get it! Then I show them how to actually use a hammer both vertically and horizontally and then they use it to hit a ball on a stick.

I hope this gives you some ideas as to how we try to communicate and teach.

Howard

Hitter,

Your posts about driving nails with a hammer got me thinking....would it be a beneficial exercise to have a 4x4 (or similar) post vertical and well secured, and have a kid drive nails with a hammer from a batting stance?

That is, have them get in their stance, with the 4x4 where you want to contact the ball (relative to your stance, but a little closer to the batter, since the hammer isn't as long as a bat), start a nail for them, and give them a hammer to hold as they would a bat, and swing as if they were swinging a bat? Obviously (at least at first), they aren't going to swing as fast as they swing a bat, and I'm thinking that doing it with the hammer in their top hand would be good, and with the hammer held in both hands, but I'm not exactly sure about holding it in only the bottom hand, whether it would be as beneficial (or as safe).

I see what you're saying about the similarities between hammering a nail and swinging a bat, so I think this exercise may help them see that, plus work on the muscle groups involved? You could even move the nails up and down and your stance around to work on different pitch locations.

Or, has someone already tried this and it does more harm than good, or did their kid knock themselves out or anything?

I think I have a couple old 4x4's laying around, if I can find some place to secure them....I doubt if my wife would be too keen on me cementing them into the yard :)

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard:

One last question, if you have time.

I know you have coached at the international level, and I believe worked with world-class athletes where you did not necessarily have a single language in common.

How did this add to the challenge of communicating hitting concepts? Did you use an interpretor? Demonstrate personally with more frequency? Something else? Again, this is the kind of extreme example of the challenges of coach / student communication that I believe you were able to overcome (the team you were with improved their hitting). So I think there is much to learn here.

Thanks, and best regards,

Scott

Scott you want all the tricks of the trade...yes I used and interpreter while working with the Chinese National Softball Team. Allow me to set the stage most of the girls had little to no education beyond grade school or high school level so comprehension of what we were doing was huge. Most had only started playing at 12 to 14 years old and had failed at something else however were top athletes. My interpreter had to learn first as some things like the elbows working as a single unit was difficult for them to break down into words. So I made many gadgets and devices to help them feel it faster. The hammer bat used by the Tigers and the WhipHit are a couple of the devices I made. I took an elbow brace and sewed on a loop and attached a rubber band cord and stood in front of them to get them to feel the lead arm elbow makes what we term a good first move and then the shoulders begin to turn/open. We broke the swing down by using each hand individually and I made special weighted one handed bats we call the PVC sticks so they could feel the weight shifting in the bat as they were swinging or the centripetal force being generated in their hands as they came to contact. I wanted them to focus hitting the inner half of the ball so I drew a triangle on the ball so they would know to stay inside the path of the ball and not take their hands to the ball. To keep their head down I glued a white sock inside the tee and encouraged them to see the white rag after they finished their swing as you are stronger with the head down and it encouraged them to track the ball. We even put tape on the wall at about 25 inches high which is atypical release height for most pitchers so they would look through the net and track the ball to the tee and not just stare at the ball on the tee. Flowing to the ball was made easier because most understood Tia Chi however never understood how to use it to hit a ball or throw. See it, feel it and fix it was and still is the staple for getting a student to accomplish the task.

The other huge problem was there are many different dialects to their language so not everyone could even speak to each other or explain or ask questions. Some times you had to position them and touch where they should feel it to get them to understand it better and be polite about it and ask permission. After they felt it they got the same universal smile every kid gets and nod their heads.

We went from 6 place to 4 place in the world in two years...I left the team while on tour in Akron because of player abuse in 2007. They had changed head coaches and it was accident waiting to happen. I miss them!

Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Hitter,

Your posts about driving nails with a hammer got me thinking....would it be a beneficial exercise to have a 4x4 (or similar) post vertical and well secured, and have a kid drive nails with a hammer from a batting stance?

That is, have them get in their stance, with the 4x4 where you want to contact the ball (relative to your stance, but a little closer to the batter, since the hammer isn't as long as a bat), start a nail for them, and give them a hammer to hold as they would a bat, and swing as if they were swinging a bat? Obviously (at least at first), they aren't going to swing as fast as they swing a bat, and I'm thinking that doing it with the hammer in their top hand would be good, and with the hammer held in both hands, but I'm not exactly sure about holding it in only the bottom hand, whether it would be as beneficial (or as safe).

I see what you're saying about the similarities between hammering a nail and swinging a bat, so I think this exercise may help them see that, plus work on the muscle groups involved? You could even move the nails up and down and your stance around to work on different pitch locations.

Or, has someone already tried this and it does more harm than good, or did their kid knock themselves out or anything?

I think I have a couple old 4x4's laying around, if I can find some place to secure them....I doubt if my wife would be too keen on me cementing them into the yard :)

I already have a 4x4 with 1 inch holes at various heights and have a pipe with a plastic solid ball mounted on the end of it. It is three feet long so it stands away from the 4x4. We have them line up off home plate and position home plate as if the ball is being hit back up the middle. For use the grip is different in the top hand verses bottom hand so our approach is unique as we break the swing down with each hand.

I made a nail simulator by using a car shock with a long stroke and mounted it inside a piece of iron pipe and mounted it to a jack stand. On the thread end I use extension nuts and that acts as the nail. I push the shock down and they hit it and try to keep it from coming up. I then made another one that fits on the 4x4 so they can get the actual feel of doing it. If you have seen Don demonstrate it using the hammer on RVP I made the hammer he uses and they use it. Once they get how to use the wrist and the grip, we use the bigger hammer so they see the hand path required to hit the nail. If you have seen Mike Candrea on RVP he uses an old bat to demo this and I went a little over board just to see if I could make it feel better. I would use the vise and then use the bat and hammer. I would also recommend using a ball peen hammer as I have seen the girls get their hair in caught in the claw hammers as well as loose fitting clothes. I also took a an old bat and attached a ball peen hammer to it as most hammers have an oval type grip.

One more thought on the lead hand and why I love this drill....think you are in a tight spot and can not hit the nail. How would you do it? You swing the hammer under your elbow because you might be in a confined space. Is this pretty similar to our swing mechanics? We lead with the elbow and it stays flexed and we unhinge the wrist to release the bat head/ hammer by centripetal force, by rotating our hips as needed based on the location of the pitch.

Thanks Howard

Aug 8, 2008
Several pages ago Tom questioned the quality of my observational skills. Since then I have been reading along and have determined he is correct. I really can’t see the Rube Goldberg amalgamation of fractional components of multiple hitting and throwing philosophies interspersed with references to the golf swing that comprise the MLB pattern. Would it be possible to explain the following actions using the reference below?

Mankin has demonstrated the importance of the rearward arc. Another way to explain how the "positive couple" is applied could be to use cues like THT or "swivel".

The best way I know of to explain the detail is in the arm action which includes EXternal rotation of back arm synched with INternal rotation of the lead arm, THEN back forearm supination and lead forearm pronation.

AND: Now there is one other important concept regarding the chain which is the extreme importance not just of "x-factor"/separation, but more exactly "x-factor stretch in the downswing" which is the additional dynamic/controllable "cusp creating" last quick stretch of torso which results from "drop and tilt" as upper body (controlled by hand action with rearward bat aceleration) resists opening when hips fire at GO/"launch"/"initiation".

What is important here is to create a quick last stretch AND fire the bathead out JUST AS the stretch reverses which enables a combination of soft tissue elasticity and quick force production (stretch receptor reflexes/high degree of neural recruitment where large percentage of muscle cells fire together) for a quick adjustable launch of the bathead to contact with a generous intersecting "contact zone".

So "early batspeed" means keeping the hands back and preparing for quick acceleration spatially early/behind the hitter after the bat has started rearward.

This gives more time for pitch recognition and adjustment. The locus of control/adjustment is in the feel of the hands as resistance is applied.

I chose this clip primarily because of the very good vertical and horizontal reference points so actions and their effect can be measured. This is from the comparison clip posted earlier in this thread and represents frames 9-14. Any alternate view points would also be greatly appreciated. If possible it would be helpful if all would refrain from referencing any specific hitting/throwing/golf philosophies while describing what is occurring in this sequence.

Oct 29, 2008
Howard:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time / energy you have taken in your above two posts. I have read them twice, and plan to read them again, and mine every nugget of content I can.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Scott

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
batsic -

any possibility you can post/pick a clip showing entire swing and entire player, feet on gorund plus bat ?

This is better than cropped stills, although both are nice.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Scott I have been friends with Howard for a few years and I learn something new everytime we visit or talk. He is always trying to make things better on how he teaches the kids. He has many tricks of the trade that he hasn't shared yet. Plus many of us that post on here have learned to pass on his knowledge to many kids. He has named us, and likes to joke around, but we do play a few tricks on him. We are lucky to have him and now CB in Ohio.
I'm with him Saturday, and I'm sure I will pick up a few more ideas.

Oct 29, 2008
Scott I have been friends with Howard for a few years and I learn something new everytime we visit or talk. He is always trying to make things better on how he teaches the kids. He has many tricks of the trade that he hasn't shared yet. Plus many of us that post on here have learned to pass on his knowledge to many kids. He has named us, and likes to joke around, but we do play a few tricks on him. We are lucky to have him and now CB in Ohio.
I'm with him Saturday, and I'm sure I will pick up a few more ideas.

I appreciate that, and understand your enthusiasm. He is a passionate guy, for sure. And obviously cares about kids. Anyone who works with multiple kids and tries to make them better is high in my book.

Best regards,

Scott

May 7, 2008
DFW
Lots of insight in this post.

Took me a while to get to the end of this one. The content of this is in a word exceptional. There is a lot of value in this thread.

Some great observations by everyone. I am sorry I was late to the dance. :D

Dana

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii