Prevent Leaking/Shifting Forward After Heel Plant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
@TDS if you were explaining to a new player how to create proper UFAs ... what would you say/do? Also, when do these UFAs take place? Before the stride, during the stride etc?
Pattar's daughter current swing has some of what I am referring to. Not that she has all the pieces working together yet .. Another method is using a cross line core contraction to lift the lead leg (think pulse along with hand pump) to move out. Once the contraction is released to move you forward creates the cross line stretch FYB.

AcEApXl.gif

zo0Cfn3.png

U4wNmhw.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is the idea I'm playing with. Which I know some say should not even be concerned with. Not saying its correct or not.

I wouldn’t try hitting w an active pelvis. That leads to pulling off and incorrect stretch imo. I haven’t seen a player that opens the pelvis wo the knees turning, opening/closing and extending. Even Bo Bichette or Josh Ds back knee opens the front knee or they work together to move the pelvis while their hands work/stay back.

Oct 2, 2017
I wouldn’t try hitting w an active pelvis. That leads to pulling off and incorrect stretch imo. I haven’t seen a player that opens the pelvis wo the knees turning, opening/closing and extending. Even Bo Bichette or Josh Ds back knee opens the front knee or they work together to move the pelvis while their hands work/stay back.
True I would say the legs/knee would need to be involved. My feeling was that I was trying to keep the rear leg/knee in place as the front leg/knee opened. Where do you view the stretch happening between, back, core, pelvis, hip , legs etc? When I was performing my swings, the tension was felt through the legs (upper inner thigh), core, and back.

I'm still not exactly sure of what to think of it yet. I will say it seemed to free up the hands to be more active as well as to use the side obliques and back upper and lower easier. More like a sling shot effect. There was another other thought processes I was trying to feel concerning the launch. that I was playing with as well. In conjunction to hands being more active. That was the rear elbow getting through, as Reggie Smith has stated. Get it to your belly button as quick as possible.

Sorry @julray not trying to derail your thread.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
He talks about keeping the thigh externally rotated until you are in heel plant and not starting any elbow movement until the heel is down. That will open up a can of worms but it looks good with his kids.

Oct 2, 2017
Is that what you see Mookie trying to do in his warmup swings?
I would say its similar. the difference being that Mookie in those warm up step swings, Mookie steps with the lower half already open. The stretch will still be the same, because he is pulling back against the already open lower half. Essentially tightening the spring.

Similar to this.
JudoSeparationLines.gifJudo..Throw.gifSlapper-2602222531.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
It's not what JD claims though...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This has been said numerous times..but I’ll say it again.. the back elbow isn’t for stretch, it’s a planing/supporting mechanism to the arc of the swing. It can extend sometimes. It will tuck and or ER at times. It makes ‘inside the ball’ and at whatever degree possible. Whatever the pitch calls for.

Edit: can the scap stay back w the elbow down? Yes. Does the elbow get down faster for inside pitches vs outside pitches? Yes. Does the elbow extending early cause a longer path? Yes. Does keeping it flexed to long cause barrel dump? Yes.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Pattar's daughter current swing has some of what I am referring to. Not that she has all the pieces working together yet .. Another method is using a cross line core contraction to lift the lead leg (think pulse along with hand pump) to move out. Once the contraction is released to move you forward creates the cross line stretch FYB.

AcEApXl.gif

zo0Cfn3.png

U4wNmhw.png
Thanks TDS, what if a hitter doesn't want a top hand dominant swing?

Jun 8, 2016

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma