Last High School Game for a 2022; Need to Vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Turbo - I'm going to hazard a guess here that this is an issue of semantics more than anything. An older definition or understanding of empathy would lead to that type of statement. Whip...what say you?

I wasn't trying to say a lack of empathy was a bad thing on its face, but not having experienced a situation makes it easier to dismiss the feelings/experiences of those who have.

For example, I think that most people on this board have kids who are stars. They are very involved and can quote batting averages and strikeout numbers without looking them up. These are kids who have always excelled and probably will through high school. So those parents, of course, are in favor of always playing the best 9 because their kid is almost always part of the best 9. They expect/want/sometimes demand everything be a skills-based meritocracy because their kid always wins in skills-base meritocracies. And they think that skills-based meritocracy is the only thing that matters in sports.

For a lot of sports, that might be true. I just don't think it applies to high school, because I don't think high school sports is about the individual or even the team. It's about the community. I know that's not a popular sentiment, but I think it's true.

And the reason I say that is because my kid is not a star, so that's the perspective I have. I think being a part of a program should be rewarded. I think three years of effort and practice and fundraising should be rewarded, not discounted. I think leadership matters -- and when someone tells me they know plenty of freshmen leaders, I say that's fine, but do you also know plenty of seniors and juniors who will follow a freshman? I don't know many 18-year-old young women who will look at a 14-year-old girl and say "hey, let's do what she says!" So I think there's a place on teams and in games for the kids who are out there giving it all they can every practice, being a good teammate, cheering on their friends, keeping score, practicing hard. I think that work should be rewarded. They don't have to start, but they should play when they can. There's a reason we all cry at the end of Rudy, right?

But that's my perspective as a parent of a kid who isn't better than everyone else. It's no less or more valid, it's just different.

There are also a lot of coaches -- both active and retired -- who tend to see things from a coach's perspective, and have dealt with enough asshole parents that they take any criticism of a coach with multiple grains of salt. They probably see coaches as under-appreciated more often than not, so when people start complaining about anything regarding coaches behavior, they defend the coach, sometimes to the extreme, but almost always to the margins. Because that's their perspective. What's important is the game, or "softball" as a concept. That's important and I appreciate them, but they can be quick to overlook that these are young girls and young women we're talking about. There are emotional components to all of this stuff that have to be considered.
If these things as you said they did, why would your daughter go back anyways? Why would you encourage her going back if the interaction took place the way it did? I agree, girls even boys cannot be subjected to abusive relationships by coaches, teammates etc. Not all HS coaches are the same and not all experiences are the same, each coach and team, player/family take away their own from it. With all that is said it sounds as if the coach wanted to move on but gave your daughter options. Married to a high school teacher I know once 3:30 hits, some teachers go into Friday is over.
Because ever since she started playing softball, she wanted to play for the high school. She put in four years for the program and she wanted a senior day, she wanted a senior season. Wanted to play with the girls she'd been playing in and around for a decade. She was willing to put up with a lot in order to have those experiences. We talked a lot about what the season would be like -- that there was a decent chance the coach would cut her. She was brave enough to give it a shot. She was tough enough to put up with a degree of humiliation from someone who went out of their way to embarrass her. She followed the coach's instructions. Then the coach, her bluff called, changed the rules.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I wasn't trying to say a lack of empathy was a bad thing on its face, but not having experienced a situation makes it easier to dismiss the feelings/experiences of those who have.

For example, I think that most people on this board have kids who are stars. They are very involved and can quote batting averages and strikeout numbers without looking them up. These are kids who have always excelled and probably will through high school. So those parents, of course, are in favor of always playing the best 9 because their kid is almost always part of the best 9. They expect/want/sometimes demand everything be a skills-based meritocracy because their kid always wins in skills-base meritocracies. And they think that skills-based meritocracy is the only thing that matters in sports.

For a lot of sports, that might be true. I just don't think it applies to high school, because I don't think high school sports is about the individual or even the team. It's about the community. I know that's not a popular sentiment, but I think it's true.

And the reason I say that is because my kid is not a star, so that's the perspective I have. I think being a part of a program should be rewarded. I think three years of effort and practice and fundraising should be rewarded, not discounted. I think leadership matters -- and when someone tells me they know plenty of freshmen leaders, I say that's fine, but do you also know plenty of seniors and juniors who will follow a freshman? I don't know many 18-year-old young women who will look at a 14-year-old girl and say "hey, let's do what she says!" So I think there's a place on teams and in games for the kids who are out there giving it all they can every practice, being a good teammate, cheering on their friends, keeping score, practicing hard. I think that work should be rewarded. They don't have to start, but they should play when they can. There's a reason we all cry at the end of Rudy, right?

But that's my perspective as a parent of a kid who isn't better than everyone else. It's no less or more valid, it's just different.

There are also a lot of coaches -- both active and retired -- who tend to see things from a coach's perspective, and have dealt with enough asshole parents that they take any criticism of a coach with multiple grains of salt. They probably see coaches as under-appreciated more often than not, so when people start complaining about anything regarding coaches behavior, they defend the coach, sometimes to the extreme, but almost always to the margins. Because that's their perspective. What's important is the game, or "softball" as a concept. That's important and I appreciate them, but they can be quick to overlook that these are young girls and young women we're talking about. There are emotional components to all of this stuff that have to be considered.

Because ever since she started playing softball, she wanted to play for the high school. She put in four years for the program and she wanted a senior day, she wanted a senior season. Wanted to play with the girls she'd been playing in and around for a decade. She was willing to put up with a lot in order to have those experiences. We talked a lot about what the season would be like -- that there was a decent chance the coach would cut her. She was brave enough to give it a shot. She was tough enough to put up with a degree of humiliation from someone who went out of their way to embarrass her. She followed the coach's instructions. Then the coach, her bluff called, changed the rules.
Good read.

My role has been decades of students developing as young children, thru high school, and many off to college...
While I have helped raise children. I have also supported many many other children
in their journey in softball with their parents.

And repeat x 34 years.

Talking about multiple multiple different types of families with an assortment of different reasons and goals. That have all made different decisions for varying reasons. It has taken patience, tolerance and empathy amongst other emotions.
Not one journey the same!

I am encouraged by knowing I recognize diversity. In my role in softball I can continue to have an open mind toward developing players and teams.

When we acknowledge that there are people that have another perspective than our own we can truly accept that not everything can go our way.

Have notice along the way a common denominator is, balance is difficult when it's tasked to our emotions.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Does it? Or does it make it easier for people to have a less biased opinion? You completely dismiss the opposite opinion of yours because you feel your opinion is the correct one. That is biased based on your very personal experience.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The OP was upset that her daughter was hurt IN HER LAST GAME because of a coach's decision, and the majority of this thread has been people justifying the coach's decision. That's much easier to do if it hasn't been your kid on the bad end of that decision.

So what you're saying is it's much easier to do if you're not biased? Agreed.

Jul 19, 2021
So with all of this as backdrop, we enter into this final series that we have to win. Our daughter, who had been a leader on the field, in the dugout, and in the locker room all season long gets pulled in her very last at bat so a sophomore with four hits on the season could ground out into a double play.
How had your DD fared in her previous AB's in this game? You said she either strikes out or hits long fly balls. Had she K'd in the game previously? Maybe the coach wanted a contact hitter? Trying to figure out the coach's thought process as there had to be one but it's difficult without having all of the data.

Oct 14, 2019
This last game stuff is being overblown. In the bottom of the 7th, they were down 3-2 with a runner on 1st and the winning run was coming up to bat. They easily could have won that game. And then the next game would have included DD’s last AB. Do you think the coach was trying to lose the game on purpose? We don’t have many facts. The OP said DD was not a fast runner. DD didn’t have a hit in the game. Was that a factor? Who knows? Would it have been OK if a senior who hadn’t yet played in the game pinch hit, seeing as this was that senior’s last game? Should the DD have caught instead of the freshman in the playoffs since every game was potentially DD’s “last” game? DD should focus on her high school career as a whole, which sounds like a great success leading to a new chapter in college softball.

Jul 19, 2021
This last game stuff is being overblown. In the bottom of the 7th, they were down 3-2 with a runner on 1st and the winning run was coming up to bat. They easily could have won that game. And then the next game would have included DD’s last AB. Do you think the coach was trying to lose the game on purpose? We don’t have many facts. The OP said DD was not a fast runner. DD didn’t have a hit in the game. Was that a factor? Who knows? Would it have been OK if a senior who hadn’t yet played in the game pinch hit, seeing as this was that senior’s last game? Should the DD have caught instead of the freshman in the playoffs since every game was potentially DD’s “last” game? DD should focus on her high school career as a whole, which sounds like a great success leading to a new chapter in college softball.
Yep, "It was her last game" is hindsight speaking. Coach didn't know that it would be her last game until they lost. Need to keep that in mind.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe draw names from a hat each game.
Remove all bias...

Sound of dramatic theme music
🎶 or would it ?🤔🤭

Jun 27, 2021
Yep, "It was her last game" is hindsight speaking. Coach didn't know that it would be her last game until they lost. Need to keep that in mind.
Covid year the season started but nothing had really elevated to what would soon wreck seasons. We played a team pretty weak on night and the coach wanted to give you younger players reps. We win the game but those seniors never played again as the season was delayed and ultimately cancelled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13