PGF vs. ASA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2018
Not sure if you missed it, but the poster was talking about PGF. Not USSSA. Just wanted to point that out.

Not sure if you missed it but I was responding to another poster's post with their post in quotes. Just wanted to point that out.

Nov 18, 2013
RichK -

Here in Chicago PGF is present, but just not as much as it should be. Same with ASA. Sure there a handful of tournaments on the full season, but nothing like USSSA, which still has the vast majority of action.

This isn't a knock on Betcher, but instead constructive thoughts. The SilverHawks have had some tournaments out of StCharles (PGF) , but usually just 1 on the year. I believe that many teams would like for there to be more PGF tournaments, as the organization is still considered to be the pinnacle here. ASA, is meh'. There are plenty of teams who go into ASA Tournaments who are just 'okay' - get pounded, out in 4. In PGF, the team composition is typically much more the 'top-side' of teams in Chicago.

It's interesting that it doesn't have a big enough presence when MN teams all travel to you to play PGF. I'd be surprised if anyone has as many PGF qualifiers or showcases within a couple hours as Chicago.

Dec 11, 2010
DD’s team played at USA nationals in Kent Washington.

Team did pretty well but there were very, very few coaches there. I don’t think we would have been all that competitive at Huntington Beach but I have heard was dripping with coaches, even in practice games. So is it better to be in a tournament where you are competitive with no coaches or play 4-6 games and get sent home in front of the coaches? (Snark)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DD’s team played at USA nationals in Kent Washington.

Team did pretty well but there were very, very few coaches there. I don’t think we would have been all that competitive at Huntington Beach but I have heard was dripping with coaches, even in practice games. So is it better to be in a tournament where you are competitive with no coaches or play 4-6 games and get sent home in front of the coaches? (Snark)

I would go where you will be competitive and the players will have fun. If you want to go somewhere that is dripping with coaches who are not there to see your daughter play why not just go to the NFCA convention? Lot more there than at PGF and you will get the same result. :)

Dec 11, 2010
Exactly right, Riseball!

I think we were in the right tournament for our team- it was pretty much exactly what we needed as we were a pretty talented but under performing team most of the season. It was great to close out the year with a run to the end of the bracket. It was a blast.

I really think with all the college chasing we forget why we are really there. To compete.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I often hear folks crow about how many top college coaches are at PGF, ASA Nationals, Colorado, Atlanta, etc. I am still trying to understand why that is such a common talking point? You have to ask why are the coaches there and what is their motivation? I submit the following:

#1) To avail themselves of an all expense paid trip to somewhere better than where they are right now.
#2) To connect with other college coaches.
#3) To connect with players that they have already recruited.
#4) To connect with players that they already have an interest in recruiting.
#5) To walk about and window shop for a player who is uncommitted that has the skills, grades, and inclination to come play for them.

If #4 is true, the event is a valid part of your recruiting plan.

If you are there for #5 I congratulate you on you optimism, but you are probably delusional. In reality it is kind of like going to the prom alone and hoping to find the perfect date. The good news is that #1 probably also applies to you and your DD. :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I often hear folks crow about how many top college coaches are at PGF, ASA Nationals, Colorado, Atlanta, etc. I am still trying to understand why that is such a common talking point? You have to ask why are the coaches there and what is their motivation? I submit the following:

#1) To avail themselves of an all expense paid trip to somewhere better than where they are right now.
#5) To walk about and window shop for a player who is uncommitted that has the skills, grades, and inclination to come play for them.

If you are there for #5 I congratulate you on you optimism, but you are probably delusional. In reality it is kind of like going to the prom alone and hoping to find the perfect date. The good news is that #1 probably also applies to you and your DD. :)

All parents of unrecruited players should read, re-read and commit this to memory.

#3 is the one I see the most btw. It’s amazing how many hours coaches put into watching recruited players. I have no way to know about #1 or #2, but suspect it’s true, lol

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
All parents of unrecruited players should read, re-read and commit this to memory.

#3 is the one I see the most btw. It’s amazing how many hours coaches put into watching recruited players. I have no way to know about #1 or #2, but suspect it’s true, lol

I know that much of that has to do with keeping away poachers. :)

Nov 18, 2013

I have to disagree somewhat. More coaches at an event increases your odds of facing a team colleges are already watching. Our first big national tournament we got to play the Atl Vipers and GA Impact. Nobody was watching us, but plenty of coaches were watching them. If you can manage to win a game or two at a big tourney like that you don’t have to wait for a coach to wander by, you already have a captive audience. I do agree the traditional method of reaching out to coaches ahead of time is much wiser. Just maybe not as far-fetched as you might think for players to get “noticed” at a big tournament.

I think a #6 reason coaches are at some of these events is to market their schools as well as their programs. It’s good advertising whether for softball or not.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have to disagree somewhat. More coaches at an event increases your odds of facing a team colleges are already watching. Our first big national tournament we got to play the Atl Vipers and GA Impact. Nobody was watching us, but plenty of coaches were watching them. If you can manage to win a game or two at a big tourney like that you don’t have to wait for a coach to wander by, you already have a captive audience. I do agree the traditional method of reaching out to coaches ahead of time is much wiser. Just maybe not as far-fetched as you might think for players to get “noticed” at a big tournament.

I think a #6 reason coaches are at some of these events is to market their schools as well as their programs. It’s good advertising whether for softball or not.

I agree, but you are still squarely on #5. I have had that happen with my own players including my DD. But the college coaches still have no idea who you are and you are relying on the college coach to make first contact. Sometimes you get lucky, but it is better to make it happen yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA