First PGF, What to expect.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2023
Well after battling our first 11U season, We are moving into our 12U(second season) season. In our first season we did nothing but USSSA,Cowart tournments, Our coach did not want to move us into harder competition until we proved we belonged there. We don't chase rings, we pick tournaments to compete in. In our last tournament we came in 2nd, Was officially rained out, we were 5-0. we successfully took wins over 3 2nd year 12U teams that were considered very strong true B teams. Our fall season is now officially stacked with PGF tournaments.
What can we expect to see in these tournaments, We are carrying 12 players(4 Pitchers,2 catchers). All but 1 player have been with this team for 3+ years. We have stuck together since the first season of 10U, and others have been together since 8U.
What makes PGF tournaments different from USSSA/FASA/USA/NCS,etc.....

Thank you in advance.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I just checked out Cowart Sports Events. Cindy Cowart's DD was on my kid's first Summer All Star team. And then never saw her ever again. However her DH tried to start a TB team at 12U for a few years. They had a T-shirt business in Houston with a make shift field behind it. Sure have come along way building something.

As for PGF, they were mostly qualifiers around HTX. You will some and lose some. Don't be concerned with the organization at your age division. Just go out and play.

Aug 5, 2022
Depends on the area and the tournament. In my area PGF has longer game times and stronger teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
Well after battling our first 11U season, We are moving into our 12U(second season) season. In our first season we did nothing but USSSA,Cowart tournments, Our coach did not want to move us into harder competition until we proved we belonged there. We don't chase rings, we pick tournaments to compete in. In our last tournament we came in 2nd, Was officially rained out, we were 5-0. we successfully took wins over 3 2nd year 12U teams that were considered very strong true B teams. Our fall season is now officially stacked with PGF tournaments.
What can we expect to see in these tournaments, We are carrying 12 players(4 Pitchers,2 catchers). All but 1 player have been with this team for 3+ years. We have stuck together since the first season of 10U, and others have been together since 8U.

Thank you in advance.
We played in 2 PGF 12-u tournaments this spring, and will do Nationals in Huntington Beach.

Competition can vary tourney to tourney. The first one we did was in NC and it was nothing special. Seemed like a USSSA tourney.

The Midwest Super Select was better competition, but not overwhelming. We beat the team that finished 2nd 2-1 and lost 2-1 to the team that finished 3rd. The latter team also finished 3rd in Tennessee. Some really good teams, but also some just okay. But overall much better quality than what we see locally. Felt like a dozen teams or so had a legitimate shot of winning.

The double elimination is something we don’t see with USSSA and only 2 pools games, so that is different.

Parents seemed more aggressive .

Feb 24, 2024

Thank you in advance.

Feb 24, 2024
The PGF tournaments are awesome competition in the age groups I attended as a D1 coach. My children played college basketball and football. I had my daughter play in the toughest competition in the country from age 8-17 and it prepared her for college very well. My advice for any parents whose daughter is interested in playing college ball is to play the best ball from day one. I rather my daughter big a little fish in a big pond than give her false hope and be the big fish in a little pond.

Nov 18, 2013
It depends on the tourney. PGF ranges from some of the best in the country to mid range B teams. Premier nationals and qualifiers will have the best competition. Platinum and the regional nationals are low A to mid B. Standard tourneys sanctioned PGF are just like any other tourney.

Jan 1, 2023
It depends on the tourney. PGF ranges from some of the best in the country to mid range B teams. Premier nationals and qualifiers will have the best competition. Platinum and the regional nationals are low A to mid B. Standard tourneys sanctioned PGF are just like any other tourney.
I believe platinum at nationals and Super Selects at younger ages are odd-year teams (11-U, 13-U, etc.). The better teams typically get invites to Nationals and don’t go to qualifiers. The Super Selects are the good tournaments.

PGF will also slot better teams into some bigger Super Select tournaments to save them spots and encourage them to go to specific tournaments.

Parents of one top team told me their organization stops doing Super Selects after 14-U. Not sure why or if that is common.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles