Saw the top-ranked 2027 player this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I am trying to see the pros and cons of playing HS softball in the fall. At least here in NY, it would cause a big conflict with girls who play volleyball, field hockey, and possibly soccer. It would make for better playing conditions, as the weather is brutal here in late March/early April.
Yeah I think the weather is better in the Fall in most states...we don't have to dodge tornados here (for the most part) in the Fall. The conflict is a big issue though. I was just thinking outloud. It wouldn't really help for spring recruiting either since colleges are playing till May/June.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah I think the weather is better in the Fall in most states...we don't have to dodge tornados here (for the most part) in the Fall. The conflict is a big issue though. I was just thinking outloud. It wouldn't really help for spring recruiting either since colleges are playing till May/June..
The concern for college coaches is the overuse from the spring school season and summer and fall travel seasons. Too many girls are burned out after spring and have to go right into the summer travel season. Maybe those who play school ball in the fall don't have the same issues because they get the winter off.

May 13, 2023
The college recruiting change...
colleges will still have their college camps open. Players will attend those more. Which will probably benefit the end result better.

Jun 8, 2016
The concern for college coaches is the overuse from the spring school season and summer and fall travel seasons. Too many girls are burned out after spring and have to go right into the summer travel season. Maybe those who play school ball in the fall don't have the same issues because they get the winter off.
..the more I think about it, the more I think it will never happen and is probably a dumb idea..forget I ever said it :ROFLMAO:

Apr 1, 2017
I am trying to see the pros and cons of playing HS softball in the fall. At least here in NY, it would cause a big conflict with girls who play volleyball, field hockey, and possibly soccer. It would make for better playing conditions, as the weather is brutal here in late March/early April.
Fall would make for a shorter season around here (Illinois). Now, season starts +/- March 1st, with the state championship +/- June 10th. Using those dates on a fall calendar would be a start of Aug 1st, and state championship November 10th. Would likely chop a month off the season (fall golf has Oct. 10th final).

Sure, March and into April can have crappy weather. Think most of March was inside practices this year. I like the idea of playoffs being played in late May/early June weather more than October though.

May 21, 2018
Teams take winter off? We just travel around and play in those inflated dome things. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22