Non-swing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS- Very interesting!

Re: mental aspect of hitting: I worked with a HC (U18) who, in an effort to get "more aggressive at the plate", told his players that "the pitcher always wants to throw a strike right away, so everyone swing at the first pitch because it will probably be the best pitch you see". The team followed his instruction and the result: coming up to bat in the 4th inning, 10th batter leading off, their pitcher had thrown less than 15 pitches.

I guess I post this as an example of what NOT to do. giving the other team one-pitch outs doesn't strike me as being aggressive at the plate, it's impatient or immature but its not really aggressive.

From your description, I have worked with similar 18-Gold coaches.

Let me put a twist on the advice.

It is true that many pitchers wish to get ahead with their first pitch. It is also true that the first pitch can be the best pitch. The advice should be to be looking for a good pitch to hit on the very first pitch. Depending on the level of competition and the ability of the pitcher, you might also be looking for a good pitch to hit in a certain area.

Swinging at marginal first pitches, that are not good pitches to hit, (and in a location that wasn't anticipated) can lead to a quick game with time to reflect on the strategy for the next game.

Oct 10, 2011
hot zone

FFS- Very interesting!

Re: mental aspect of hitting: I worked with a HC (U18) who, in an effort to get "more aggressive at the plate", told his players that "the pitcher always wants to throw a strike right away, so everyone swing at the first pitch because it will probably be the best pitch you see". The team followed his instruction and the result: coming up to bat in the 4th inning, 10th batter leading off, their pitcher had thrown less than 15 pitches.

I guess I post this as an example of what NOT to do. giving the other team one-pitch outs doesn't strike me as being aggressive at the plate, it's impatient or immature but its not really aggressive.

It is true that many pitchers wish to get ahead with their first pitch. It is also true that the first pitch can be the best pitch. The advice should be to be looking for a good pitch to hit on the very first pitch. Depending on the level of competition and the ability of the pitcher, you might also be looking for a good pitch to hit in a certain area.

Swinging at marginal first pitches, that are not good pitches to hit, (and in a location that wasn't anticipated) can lead to a quick game with time to reflect on the strategy for the next game.
At one clinic DD has attended several times they suggest only hitting the first pitch if it is in the hitters "hot zone". They would fill in a chart and at one station they were only allowed to swing at pitches in that zone. Probably at least 2 out of 3 were thrown out of that area to work on plate discipline.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FFS - I totally agree. First time thru the order I usually have the batters look for "their pitch" and to only swing at that pitch until they get strike one. I like your approach.

DD is a freshman in HS and will be playing for a coach who often orders the batters to swing at the first pitch, no matter what. I'm going to tell DD to make sure she misses by a mile when he tells her to do that. then look for the same pitch on the next pitch.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Bold above. Just spoke with a poster the other day(PM exchange) about the success my DD has been having/has/had with that mind set. Looking for 'her pitch' early in the count. Hit 'your' pitch early before 'you' have to hit the pitchers pitch later. Again JMHO.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would suggest teaching the hitters how to look for and isolate patterns. Of course their ability to do this will be based on age, experience, and other factors. Instead of looking for "your pitch", learn to expect a particular pitch if you can recognize the pattern. For example, when we first moved to 14u, we began to notice that certain teams (and 1 in particular) loved to start each hitter with a low outside fastball. I tracked this and found that one team did this nearly 80% of the time over the four games we played them. We recognized the pattern, asked our hitters to start watching for it, and to take advantage of it when they saw it. I ask that all of our players watch the opposing pitcher in order to find any type of patterns such as that. That includes the players on the bench. As I am typing this, I wish I would have kept track of how many 0-2 change ups our team hit to gaps last year. Pattern....

Although I am a fan of having the catcher call the pitches, this is something to watch for. The coach still has a responsibility to watch what the catcher is calling and help guide/teach them through the process. If you are able to find a pattern in your catcher's pitch calling, make the assumption that the other team can determine that same pattern. Teach her how to adjust and avoid those patterns. Some teams will have the catcher call the pitches, but don't provide any further instruction. Your hitters may be able to find patterns in the pitch calling.

While on that topic, the pitcher/catcher should also look for patterns with the hitters. Some hitters almost always take the first pitch or look for a specific location (their pitch). If you can find this pattern, you have the entire rest of the strike zone to work with and can jump ahead without the hitter swinging the bat. Likewise, some hitters are ultra-aggressive on the first pitch. Learn that pattern and teach your pitcher/catcher to take advantage of it.

Jul 6, 2013
I'm a big proponent of having the proper mindset in the box....and even though every swing is different, and some are better than others, your best bet as a coach to have the hitter do what you want her to do is to swing "her" swing...in that the swing that she would make 95 times out of 100 if she was on a tee before the game. Regardless of what it looks like. So, I try to train my players not to react to strikes.....don't see a strike and swing. I want them with the mindset every pitch that it will be a strike and they will swing, but only react to balls. I want to hear from the crowd and dugout every ball "Oohhhhh. She wanted that one!". Nothing drives me more nuts than seeing a girl foul a ball off into the 1st base dugout after giving a super late swing on a perfect fastball down the middle.

Aug 15, 2014
I would say have a aggressive approach from the start , with the always think "hit " first in their head ( even on take counts ).
Never thinking about your swing, see ball and react ..
Know where your "Melt Zone " is. And look for that pitch
Change your approach with 2 strikes ( 68% ) is our verbal key
And have a short memory !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01