Non-swing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2012
There are many threads on here that discuss the mechanics and theory behind developing a high level swing. However, we all know that there is much more to hitting than the swing itself. Some physical (eyesight, strength), some mental (confidence), and some other intangibles (pitch selection, timing).

What do you feel are the most important non-swing related aspects of hitting and what have you found to be the best ways to develop these for a young hitter? Obviously, most will be developed with experience so lots and lots of reps will help. But are there any specific drills or routines that you have found to shorten the learning curve?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Make sure they are looking at the pitcher with both eyes
Balanced and relaxed at the plate
Good throwing mechanics

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There are many threads on here that discuss the mechanics and theory behind developing a high level swing. However, we all know that there is much more to hitting than the swing itself. Some physical (eyesight, strength), some mental (confidence), and some other intangibles (pitch selection, timing).

What do you feel are the most important non-swing related aspects of hitting and what have you found to be the best ways to develop these for a young hitter? Obviously, most will be developed with experience so lots and lots of reps will help. But are there any specific drills or routines that you have found to shorten the learning curve?

Potato chips!!

I'm teasing of course, but 'mass' seems to be beneficial. I don't believe it hurt that Bustos was 200+ lbs.

Oct 10, 2011
plate approach

I think practicing a consistent plate approach. ..have a good routine starting in the dugout.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Positive self-talk. Don't go to the plate telling yourself "don't strike out" or "don't swing at bad pitches." Tell yourself to "get a good pitch and drive it."

If you want to illustrate the importance of this, ask your girls what happens when you say, "don't think of a squirrel."

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Reminding the young player of why they are up to bat. When I am coaching third I always shout out with encouragement -"Help your team".

They are batting to have the barrel line up with the ball and hit it hard into play.

They are not up there to:

Not make a mistake
Not get dad or mom angry
Take a walk
Watch pitches go by
Be afraid keep their head in there
Don't step in the bucket
Keep their eye on the ball
Relax...have fun

They are there to help their team by having the barrel line up with the ball and hit it hard.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Reminding the young player of why they are up to bat. When I am coaching third I always shout out with encouragement -"Help your team".

They are batting to have the barrel line up with the ball and hit it hard into play.

They are not up there to:

Not make a mistake
Not get dad or mom angry
Take a walk
Watch pitches go by
Be afraid keep their head in there
Don't step in the bucket
Keep their eye on the ball
Relax...have fun

They are there to help their team by having the barrel line up with the ball and hit it hard.

They are there to help the team .... by getting on base without causing an out .... and getting a 'walk' is in line with that goal.

The preaching of “get a good pitch to hit” can conflict with a goal to “not taking a walk”.

If you remain true to the goal of getting a “good pitch to hit”, then you have to be willing to take a walk.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
They are there to help the team .... by getting on base without causing an out .... and getting a 'walk' is in line with that goal.

The preaching of “get a good pitch to hit” can conflict with a goal to “not taking a walk”.

If you remain true to the goal of getting a “good pitch to hit”, then you have to be willing to take a walk.

I will buy that of course but I have coached a lot of young girls ages 8 - 16 in both rec and travel level and the most successful are the ones that have a mindset of looking to hit the ball, not wanting to take a walk and doing some amazing and wonderful things with balls outside of the zone. You can leave that one (Take a Walk) off the list I put together but taking third strikes on close pitches is a funk young players have a tough time shaking. The better hitters can and do learn to take a walk. Especially as they are pitched around. That's my experience.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Give the book "Moneyball" a read.

On multiple occasions I've given hitters that had less than 10% walks, and a high strike-out rate, a goal of collecting at least one walk in their next 10 at-bats, ..... and the result was almost always a very significant improvement in their weekend's batting statistics. Simply a mindset difference, with a different goal, had virtually every aspect of their stats improve significantly.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FFS- Very interesting!

Re: mental aspect of hitting: I worked with a HC (U18) who, in an effort to get "more aggressive at the plate", told his players that "the pitcher always wants to throw a strike right away, so everyone swing at the first pitch because it will probably be the best pitch you see". The team followed his instruction and the result: coming up to bat in the 4th inning, 10th batter leading off, their pitcher had thrown less than 15 pitches.

I guess I post this as an example of what NOT to do. giving the other team one-pitch outs doesn't strike me as being aggressive at the plate, it's impatient or immature but its not really aggressive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles