Is changing team the only option here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Talk to the coaches and be honest about why you want her to continue seeing her old pitching coach. If they know you’re lying to them it would explain why they’re grooming other pitchers to take her spot when you leave. Her current team sounds like a great fit if the players are all developing and your DD enjoys playing for them.

May 10, 2021
I agree that developing many pitchers at 10U is a great move. What is NOT a great move is foregoing mechanics for velocity especially at at young age IMO. Less than desirable mechanics lead to injury and 40 sessions with a good PC just to make them a memory.

I cant count the "need a pitcher due to injury ads". 1/3 of the time at 10U is great if the goal is to develop more kids. It sounds like a well coached team. I would be honest with the coaches; that will tell you everything you need to know.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She had that kind of time in summer and sometimes I was concerned about overuse.

But what to do with her team pitching coach? They made it clear that they don't think it is a good idea for kid to hear two voices.
It sounds like your dd is hearing 3 voices. When you tell the coach that your dds new mechanics came from your suggestions, which was true, you already told them your dd has another person coaching. Sounds like you have had several disagreement with the coach on work load, velocity and lineup.

perhaps the coaches have an issue with you and not your dd’s performance. You need to sit down with the head coach and lay it all out. The second coach, your concerns and your dd’s future with the team. Not after a game or practice. But a scheduled meeting. After that meeting your decision will be easy to make.

Jan 23, 2021
Let me stay with this…IT’S 10U!!! Sounds like some good coaches who know the game but want things their way. However it also sounds like it may be coaches worried more about their ego and reputations rather than 10U players who have fun playing and learning the game.

If your daughter is having fun and enjoys her teammates why are you considering moving her to another team. It’s not about you, it’s about her. That being said if she is a strong/good pitcher there will likely be a lot of teams interested.

My suggestion…SHE’s 10U!!! LET HER HAVE FUN. LET HER LEARN. She has so much to learn and so much time to grow as a player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You shouldn't have to keep secrets from coaches or lie to them. Regardless, most will find out eventually.

You say it's "obvious" that the team's coaches don't like players going to others, but you don't explain how that's true. Some teams just aren't a good fit. Fortunately, it's 10U. Development and fun matters, but who you're playing for at 10U doesn't matter much in the long term. I know of current D1 players who weren't even playing ball then.

If your DD is anything close to as good as you say, you'll have no trouble finding another good team where you won't have to lie about your DD's pitching coach.

PS...a 10U team filled with non-parent coaches looks more than a bit "extra" to this now college parent. Based on personal experience, I'd wager that a significant percentage, perhaps most, of those kids won't be playing five years from now.

Oct 26, 2021
Thank you for bumping the thread.

The coach sent out an email last weekend to ask everyone to confirm whether they will return for spring. I had to tell them that we will take a break and go back to Rec for spring. I also told them that we had an outside coach. However, I told them that we planned to finish the two tournaments left in this season. The coach said they need her in the first tournament this weekend only. So even we paid for this season, DD won't be able to play the last tournament with the team. So you see, be honest didn't get rewarded. I am pretty sure that they will bat DD last and had her play the left-field until their other pitchers are in trouble.

About half a year ago, another good pitcher left the team in the middle of the season. She was the only one not taking classes from the team coach at the time. The rumor was her mom felt she was treated unfairly because she didn't take the class from the team coach. The mom is on their local softball league board and has an older daughter playing in college.

DD is not the only one on the team who has outside coaches. I know for sure there are another two girls who have outside hitting coaches. The head coach made it clear that if you have an outside hitting coach, you can not doing hitting session with him. Before DD joined the team, we had an annual membership with a local baseball facility. They offer group classes which are mostly for rep. It didn't even occur to me that I should tell the coach about it. Another girl on the team also went to the same club. One day the girl somehow mentioned the club and saying DD and her both going there. The head coach actually confronted me about it. I had to explain to him that it was a group class with minimal instruction.... However, those two girls having outside private coach are still doing hitting session with him. One of them just joined the team for the fall. The mom told me that the coach knows they have outside hitting coach. The other girl I highly doubt they told the head coach. Even if they did, they must have kept it secret for a couple of months before telling the coach. The team coach treated people differently. It is human nature. I am not going to argue that.

DD has no trouble finding another team. However, I decided to take a break and do rec for spring. I discussed the plan with DD over and over again before emailing the coach. She understood that it wouldn't work out with the team if she wanted to keep her pitching coach. She was very disappointed that she couldn't play in the last tournament. She seems handling it very well but she is mature for her age and might just hide her feeling.

So for people out there, this nonparent coach team didn't work out for us. When you have nonparent coaches running the team as a business, it is no better than a parent coach team.

Jun 20, 2015

The coach sent out an email last weekend to ask everyone to confirm whether they will return for spring. I had to tell them that we will take a break and go back to Rec for spring. I also told them that we had an outside coach. However, I told them that we planned to finish the two tournaments left in this season. The coach said they need her in the first tournament this weekend only. So even we paid for this season, DD won't be able to play the last tournament with the team. So you see, be honest didn't get rewarded. I am pretty sure that they will bat DD last and had her play the left-field until their other pitchers are in trouble.

About half a year ago, another good pitcher left the team in the middle of the season. She was the only one not taking classes from the team coach at the time. The rumor was her mom felt she was treated unfairly because she didn't take the class from the team coach. The mom is on their local softball league board and has an older daughter playing in college.

DD is not the only one on the team who has outside coaches. I know for sure there are another two girls who have outside hitting coaches. The head coach made it clear that if you have an outside hitting coach, you can not doing hitting session with him. Before DD joined the team, we had an annual membership with a local baseball facility. They offer group classes which are mostly for rep. It didn't even occur to me that I should tell the coach about it. Another girl on the team also went to the same club. One day the girl somehow mentioned the club and saying DD and her both going there. The head coach actually confronted me about it. I had to explain to him that it was a group class with minimal instruction.... However, those two girls having outside private coach are still doing hitting session with him. One of them just joined the team for the fall. The mom told me that the coach knows they have outside hitting coach. The other girl I highly doubt they told the head coach. Even if they did, they must have kept it secret for a couple of months before telling the coach. The team coach treated people differently. It is human nature. I am not going to argue that.

DD has no trouble finding another team. However, I decided to take a break and do rec for spring. I discussed the plan with DD over and over again before emailing the coach. She understood that it wouldn't work out with the team if she wanted to keep her pitching coach. She was very disappointed that she couldn't play in the last tournament. She seems handling it very well but she is mature for her age and might just hide her feeling.

So for people out there, this nonparent coach team didn't work out for us. When you have nonparent coaches running the team as a business, it is no better than a parent coach team.

if that's the way the coach feels, i would make sure DD is not available for either tourney to end the year. clean break move on. and honestly, don't know if i would even tell the coach before hand. just ghost him and be gone. Not the best plan, but karma wins long term.

Apr 26, 2019

You wouldn't happen to be in Virginia, would you?

Oct 26, 2021
if that's the way the coach feels, i would make sure DD is not available for either tourney to end the year. clean break move on. and honestly, don't know if i would even tell the coach before hand. just ghost him and be gone. Not the best plan, but karma wins long term.

I don't want to make a bad situation even worse. But I agree with you that it might be better to have a clean break now. Someone else could learn from it. How do other people reply to this kind of intention of continuous email sent before end of the season when they plan to leave by the end of the season?

You wouldn't happen to be in Virginia, would you?

No, over a thousand of miles from VA. But you know other girls had the same issue as us? Well, I don't know whether it made me feel better or worse.

Sep 1, 2021
I agree. The coach is being spiteful, so there's a better chance that the tournament will be a negative experience for your daughter as opposed to a positive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom