The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
@Work=wins, @Shawn and others GITT
Gonna ramble a bit. I’m sure there are plenty of threads on this but didn’t want to read through them all.

Loading properly and on time sets the ground work for a hitter having the time to get to a powerful launch position. If load is off the hitter will make compensations in an effort to get the barrel to the ball (rushed swing).

How do we develop and train a hitters ability to put a powerful swing on every pitch? Being late can never be an issue to accomplish this.

Went back and watch some video. Work mentioned the relationship between the front heel and the hands. I noticed nearly every high level hitter I watched almost simultaneously pick the front foot up and hands worked back (stretch).

Got me to thinking, what are the mechanics of a good load? One commonality between all types of high level hitters is the front heel and the hands. Knee lifts vary. Some knee lift back toward belly button, some knee lift high and not back, some knee lift low. Some knee lift and don’t move forward, some knee lift and float forward, some knee lift and move rearwards and stay back.

I know some will say the load is “style”. But if we can agree that the load sets the foundation for a hitter being able to put a powerful swing on every pitch then I think it’s important that dads and hitting instructors understand it and train it.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. start stride on pitcher release
2. make sure the front foot is down when ball is halfway there (0.400 sec pitch, 0.200 swing)
3. during stride , lift the front knee - not the hip
4. land on a very bent front leg
5. make sure the rear forearm is flat, and the bat head pointed up to 55 deg

That's it. The key to a million dollar swing, all for free. No buzzwords, no jargon.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
1. start stride on pitcher release
2. make sure the front foot is down when ball is halfway there (0.400 sec pitch, 0.200 swing)
3. during stride , lift the front knee - not the hip
4. land on a very bent front leg
5. make sure the rear forearm is flat, and the bat head pointed up to 55 deg

That's it. The key to a million dollar swing, all for free. No buzzwords, no jargon.

Is this the load or timing?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Like to have rear glute pre-loaded by turning in back foot.(pigeon toed) Helps stop over counter rotating enabling both eyes to see the ball. I like a slow stretch/load/float well before ball is in the air. Never rushed and land with front knee bent and hands still back.

Aug 20, 2017
Timing toe touch, relaxed coil, loading that weight on rear hip, heel slam, don't leak the hands annnnnnnd SNAP! Allll easier said than done, the best do it more consistently.
This is my point. Timing toe touch/heel slam can only happen if the load is timed properly. Ready to swing at release. The load has got to occur while the pitcher still has the ball in her arm circle. IMO this is step one to developing the ability to consistently hit high level pitching

Aug 20, 2017
Like to have rear glute pre-loaded by turning in back foot.(pigeon toed) Helps stop over counter rotating enabling both eyes to see the ball. I like a slow stretch/load/float well before ball is in the air. Never rushed and land with front knee bent and hands still back.
Agree with everything above! I’ve worked with a few hitters lately that can put the ball in play against high level pitching. But they can’t put a powerful swing on the ball vs high level pitching. They bypass the slow stretch/load/float phase and just try to get to foot down quickly. Rear elbow slots early, upper moves forward after foot down, contact is inconsistent. They are solid hitters but will never become elite hitters w/o learning the slow stretch/load/float.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee