Thoughts on the benefits of a longer bat over heavier drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
Hey guys, help me think something through if you don't mind. Here is the situation... My daughter 15yo (a 5'9 strong lefty) moved up to a 33 -10 ghost at the end of last year. The kid swings it very well. She carries a high BA, and excellent exit velo with it. Due to having to warranty it twice, we decided to try a LXT (she used to use one years ago). Well I found a used 19 LXT 33 -10. She is hitting it well as well... Here is my question.. I know that the ghost (being more end loaded) carries a heavier swing feel over the LXT. My daughter noticed it right away. I was feeling I should possibly have went with the -9 instead, because it appears she is not quite getting the carry on well hit balls she was with the ghost. Then it dawned on me, with it being lighter, would it benefit her more to go with a 34 -10 over a 33 -9. Can you guys give me some pros and cons possibly? I will say that she is getting to the point that most teams are pitching away from her significantly, so I know the extra length would benefit her there. Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate any input.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I've always put more emphasis on weight over length, I just think it's the most important factor of the two! Having said that, and her being 5'9" and strong, have you thought about a 34" Xeno? It has a slight amount more end weight than a very balanced LXT.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Hey guys, help me think something through if you don't mind. Here is the situation... My daughter 15yo (a 5'9 strong lefty) moved up to a 33 -10 ghost at the end of last year. The kid swings it very well. She carries a high BA, and excellent exit velo with it. Due to having to warranty it twice, we decided to try a LXT (she used to use one years ago). Well I found a used 19 LXT 33 -10. She is hitting it well as well... Here is my question.. I know that the ghost (being more end loaded) carries a heavier swing feel over the LXT. My daughter noticed it right away. I was feeling I should possibly have went with the -9 instead, because it appears she is not quite getting the carry on well hit balls she was with the ghost. Then it dawned on me, with it being lighter, would it benefit her more to go with a 34 -10 over a 33 -9. Can you guys give me some pros and cons possibly? I will say that she is getting to the point that most teams are pitching away from her significantly, so I know the extra length would benefit her there. Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate any input.

We use a drop 10 Ghost and a drop 9 Xeno. I do think at least the 33 drop 10 you move to should be a 33 drop 9 (in most cases) because the Ghost is much heavier than the sticker reads.

The bat length has me a bit puzzled. My DD gets pitched outside a lot. But she's tall. She can probably cover the plate with a 32 inch bat. I don't know if 1 more inch really gets her much. Perhaps it makes the sweet spot of the bat a teeny bit longer?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
General comment is you are chasing length when they are younger, that is were the - drop come into play.

DD was a hit the fence hitter. Always liked a balanced bat. We started playing with drop when she got to a 32". Allways dropped back to balance bat.

I know they can get used to anything but for DD balanced bat was the best for her.

Your DD might be different. She just needs to play with it a little bit. I would quest her teammates have some heavier bats that she can play with.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Tony Gwynn used a 32” bat and had enough plate coverage to allow him to hit .338 for his career.
I watched much of Tony Gwynn's career personally. I even met and spoke a bit with him on a couple of occasions. I had no idea that he used that short of a bat, but you're apparently correct. That said, Tony was known for his bat control, not his power. While some of the smaller players at the top level of college softball might also swing a 32 successfully, I'll wager that the best hitters at OU are swinging bigger.

Jun 8, 2016
I watched much of Tony Gwynn's career personally. I even met and spoke a bit with him on a couple of occasions. I had no idea that he used that short of a bat, but you're apparently correct. That said, Tony was known for his bat control, not his power. While some of the smaller players at the top level of college softball might also swing a 32 successfully, I'll wager that the best hitters at OU are swinging bigger.
Sure but my point was you don’t need to go longer to get sufficient plate coverage which sometimes is used as an argument to go with a longer bat...you typically need better hitting mechanics.

Dec 11, 2010
^^^Bingo!^^^

One of my DD’s swung a -9 in hs, the other swung a -8. One set team records, the other would have beat them if her senior year wasn’t cancelled.

I’m not sure I would go down the low drop road again.

As far as the 34” thing, dd#2 spent her entire career getting pitched outside and blasting outside pitches oppo… did it with a 33” bat.

Hold your hand up. Measure out 1” with your thumb and forefinger. Look at how big an inch really is. Realize an inch doesn’t matter one bit in the big picture.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles