Is changing team the only option here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Move on. 10U is about growth, development and making mistakes. Coaches who take 10U like a dictatorship don’t last long and have drastic turnover. Nothing wrong with getting different looks from other pitching coaches but if you have one that relates to your daughter and get maximize her ability then they have done their job.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Sounds like the team doesn't really need your DD. How does the team look that y'all played in the finals? Do they need another pitcher? I am quite certain many teams in your area would love to have your DD on the team. But she needs good catching. As mentioned prior your team will lose and gain players throughout the year. Being the best in 10u rarely equates to the best in 12U, and then 14U. For now, pay attention to the teams you play and ask yourself if you could get along with those parents and coaches. Finish out the fall and look for another spot to start the spring season.

Oct 26, 2021
Sounds like the team doesn't really need your DD. How does the team look that y'all played in the finals? Do they need another pitcher? I am quite certain many teams in your area would love to have your DD on the team. But she needs good catching. As mentioned prior your team will lose and gain players throughout the year. Being the best in 10u rarely equates to the best in 12U, and then 14U. For now, pay attention to the teams you play and ask yourself if you could get along with those parents and coaches. Finish out the fall and look for another spot to start the spring season.

I would like to think that they still need her now but they are working hard to develop other pitchers instead of developing her.

She can make any team in our area. But I don't think that there is one team that will give her over 1/2 of pitching time. Most 10U teams have 4-6 pitchers and many of them are coaches' daughters

Jul 31, 2015
I would like to think that they still need her now but they are working hard to develop other pitchers instead of developing her.

She can make any team in our area. But I don't think that there is one team that will give her over 1/2 of pitching time. Most 10U teams have 4-6 pitchers and many of them are coaches' daughters

Wait out the season. Then go to several tryouts.

Don't assume. There's always turnover.

Good luck.

Oct 26, 2021
Wait out the season. Then go to several tryouts.

Don't assume. There's always turnover.

Good luck.

I probably should add that I don't want to drive more than 1hr one way in traffic for team practice on weekdays. So actually the choice of teams is quite limited and they are not that good. So DD can make any of those teams but it will be a step down for her. The teams can compete with her current team are all too far.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
There's a lot to digest. The ONLY thing that matters is getting better. There's no set amount of game pitching time that guarantees improvement, it sounds like she's getting about 1/3 of the time which is OK. Stay with the pitching coach, tell the coach that you are working out and getting instruction from outside the team. If they cut your DD, it truly is for the best because it will highlight the bias that would've not been overcome. If they don't, teach your kid about showing up and blowing up.. If she turns herself into "by far" the best pitcher, she will become the starter.

There are lessons in adversity. I realize, my DD's story (and mine) is not your story, but a constant reminder and conversation I have with DD when the going gets tough is acknowledging the names of the countless catchers she had to beat out and are no longer on her team who were stack ranked higher than her across the years. I swear it has been something EVERY year, but in the end, I'm glad she gets hungry for success, more competitive, harder working, and even a little mean when the going gets tough.

If your DD learns to shove the ball down the batters throats, she'll start!

Sep 19, 2018
Maybe I am missing something but she was almost over used all summer. And in a couple of fall tournaments she only got 1/3 of time. So you want to leave? I know there is the separate issue on outside coach, but that did not seem to be an an issue when she was pitching all the time.

Oct 26, 2021
This is starting to scream "We want to win at 10u" and do things our way......

No. I don't think winning is that important. I need some suggestions and I think it might be helpful if I give more details of our situation, which including the options we have.

There's a lot to digest. The ONLY thing that matters is getting better. There's no set amount of game pitching time that guarantees improvement, it sounds like she's getting about 1/3 of the time which is OK. Stay with the pitching coach, tell the coach that you are working out and getting instruction from outside the team. If they cut your DD, it truly is for the best because it will highlight the bias that would've not been overcome. If they don't, teach your kid about showing up and blowing up.. If she turns herself into "by far" the best pitcher, she will become the starter.

There are lessons in adversity. I realize, my DD's story (and mine) is not your story, but a constant reminder and conversation I have with DD when the going gets tough is acknowledging the names of the countless catchers she had to beat out and are no longer on her team who were stack ranked higher than her across the years. I swear it has been something EVERY year, but in the end, I'm glad she gets hungry for success, more competitive, harder working, and even a little mean when the going gets tough.

If your DD learns to shove the ball down the batters throats, she'll start!

This is what DD wants to do. But unfortunately, there are thousands of ways to destroy a 10year old confidence. This game is all about confidence.

Maybe I am missing something but she was almost over used all summer. And in a couple of fall tournaments she only got 1/3 of time. So you want to leave? I know there is the separate issue on outside coach, but that did not seem to be an an issue when she was pitching all the time.

The team coaches didn't know she has outside coach. But since the outside coach changed her mechanics in August, things changed. I think they must have figured out she had outside coach now.

Jul 22, 2015
I probably should add that I don't want to drive more than 1hr one way in traffic for team practice on weekdays. So actually the choice of teams is quite limited and they are not that good. So DD can make any of those teams but it will be a step down for her. The teams can compete with her current team are all too far.
Go make one of the "not that good" teams better. The only important thing for a pitcher at this age is to get plenty of innings. Go be #1 on a lesser team, recruit a player or 2, and make them competitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28