Is changing team the only option here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2021
First-year 10U team. DD is a pitcher. All non-parent coaches. All coaches had years of coaching experience. They know the game really really well. They put a lot of work into the team. The team improved a lot in a year and is one of the best 10U teams in the area.

One of the coaches offers pitching classes. All pitchers on the team are currently taking the weekly class with the team coach. The rate is reasonable. It is quite obvious that they don’t like you to have another outside coach. DD still has her outside pitching coach secretly. I warned her that there would be consequences if they found out she still has her outside pitching coach. But DD likes her pitching coach a lot so we still see her on and off. Both pitching coaches teach IR. The team pitching coach empathized on velocity. The outside pitching coach is more on the spot and spin. We have been with the outside pitching coach for over a year. The outside coach helped DD improve the mechanics and posture a lot.

In the summer, due to the tournaments and other reasons, we only got to see the outside pitching coach once in July. DD’s pitching mechanics went south. I did bring up the alarming signs of bad mechanics to team coaches. I don’t think the team pitching coach really worked on fixing it. I suggested DD make a pre-delivery movement change after doing some research here. Of course, DD didn’t listen to me. Coincidentally, her outside pitching coach suggested the exact same change when we went to see her. The change actually went surprisingly smooth. However, the change is not a subtle one. Anyone would notice that DD’s mechanics changed. I explained to team coaches that I suggested the changes in order to fix her mechanics issue. However, I don’t think they bought it. Both her team pitching coach and head coach kept saying that her pitching velocity dropped several miles after the change, which is not true. I have a radar gun. Her team pitching coach also uses a radar gun. I confirmed with the coach regarding the reading he got once and I didn’t understand why they kept saying DD’s velocity dropped when the number tells otherwise. There is no increase in velocity since summer though. But I think it is mainly because of the bad mechanics she developed in summer and we are still working on correcting it.

DD is still the fastest pitcher on her team by 1-2 miles and she is the most accurate pitcher. DD’s playing time decreased significantly from summer since the mechanics change. It is quite obvious that her team coaches give other pitchers more opportunities and more chances. I understand that team coaches need to develop other pitchers. But I felt it is alarming when DD couldn’t get 1/3 of circle time and didn’t get to start a game.

Is changing the team the only option here? What we should do?

Thank you for reading the long post and any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It's unfortunate that this conundrum happens
Try to remember there's learning even in situations when we learn what we don't want to do.
Can you share anything from your daughter's perspective?

Oct 26, 2021
It's unfortunate that this conundrum happens
Try to remember there's learning even in situations when we learn what we don't want to do.
Can you share anything from your daughter's perspective?

My daughter felt that her team coaches didn't boost her confidence while she hit well in the game. The batting orders changed from time to time. Her batting order never moved up when she hit well. As a result, she is at the bottom of the lineup now.

I was about to send her team coach my record showing that her pitching velocity did not decrease. She stopped me and said that she wanted to wait until the next tournament. She agreed that her pitching velocity didn't decrease. She likes her new mechanics and didn't want to go back as her team coach suggested. Her team coach believes that her old mechanics generate more power. She want to stay with her outside pitching coach.

But she didn't want to change team because her current team is probably the best in the area. Her current coaches know what they are doing and know the game. She learned a lot. She probably will not get the same amount of learning from any other teams. I told her that if she can't get 1/3 of circle time we need to change team. She still wants to fight for it.

I think my question is whether there is anything we can do to make the situation better for her on her current team.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
I would first start with telling the coaches you have a pitching coach. If they question why tell them that you feel like she responds best to that coach. Secondly: The best 10u team in the area is fine, but that team will turn over 8-10 times before they hit 14u. Honestly the best 10u teams have a really good pitcher and catcher...... that's what makes them the best. If your daughter is committed to being a pitcher at 10 then she needs 1/2 the pitching time, not a third. And on sundays she needs 75% of the pitching.
But I would let them know she has a PC and see what they say before anything.

Oct 26, 2021
I would first start with telling the coaches you have a pitching coach. If they question why tell them that you feel like she responds best to that coach. Secondly: The best 10u team in the area is fine, but that team will turn over 8-10 times before they hit 14u. Honestly the best 10u teams have a really good pitcher and catcher...... that's what makes them the best. If your daughter is committed to being a pitcher at 10 then she needs 1/2 the pitching time, not a third. And on sundays she needs 75% of the pitching.
But I would let them know she has a PC and see what they say before anything.
She had that kind of time in summer and sometimes I was concerned about overuse.

But what to do with her team pitching coach? They made it clear that they don't think it is a good idea for kid to hear two voices.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
She had that kind of time in summer and sometimes I was concerned about overuse.

But what to do with her team pitching coach? They made it clear that they don't think it is a good idea for kid to hear two voices.
While this is a difficult situation to make a suggestion for...
Can share your daughter is not the only player that gets put in this predicament.
Keep saying to everybody look for the success.

What concerns me is why the coaches would want to to change something that was successful.
That's why parents like you go into that 'let me show you the stats and speed gun results'.

It seems to me your daughter has some good backbone and determination and that should be acknowledged. Perhaps ask the coaches if she continues with her own instructor what will be the results on the team.? You will then get a better understanding of the coaches mindset to at least make the best of the situation.
Are these coaches going to be coaching your daughter for the next year and the next year and the next year? Or are they just this year?

Oct 26, 2021
While this is a difficult situation to make a suggestion for...
Can share your daughter is not the only player that gets put in this predicament.
Keep saying to everybody look for the success.

What concerns me is why the coaches would want to to change something that was successful.
That's why parents like you go into that 'let me show you the stats and speed gun results'.

It seems to me your daughter has some good backbone and determination and that should be acknowledged. Perhaps ask the coaches if she continues with her own instructor what will be the results on the team.? You will then get a better understanding of the coaches mindset to at least make the best of the situation.
Are these coaches going to be coaching your daughter for the next year and the next year and the next year? Or are they just this year?
Thank you for your suggestion. I will honor DD's suggestion that to wait after the next tournament. If the situation does not improve, I will tell them that she is seeing an outside pitching coach and we will stay with that coach cause nothing to lose. But for the tournaments they played so far: one tournament with 3 bracket games, she only shared the first game with another pitcher. The coach praised fast pitching specifically in the post game emails while the pitcher in the championship game is consistently slower than DD. In another tournament with 3 bracket games, she pitched another non-championship game. The coach named the game the best game the team played in a year for defense and hitting. No mention of pitching.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott