No Softball in Illinois this Summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
No sports are without risk, risk is inherent.
As adults we manage risk all the time. When we go on roller coasters, when we board flights, get behind the wheel. Children aren't legally allowed to assume risks on their own that's why parents are required to do so for kids. When your daughter gets in the box against a pitcher throwing upper 60s you are allowing her to assume risk. Playing during Covid 19 is a risk, if you're not willing to accept that risk then don't allow your daughter to play. But just like when you walk by a bungee jumping station and see people taking risk, you don't prevent them from doing what they want, same principle. Eveyone has their own risk tolerance and it's a personal choice.
Just because I can’t resist I’m going to respond. Yes, we take risks all the time. Risks we knowingly choose to take. However, when you are comparing bungee jumping where the risk is for those participating only and an incredibly infectious virus I think you are comparing apples to oranges. As we have seen in NYC many people getting the virus now have been staying home and sheltering in place which means they are getting it by coming in contact with someone who was taking a risk and who now has passed on that virus...... just pointing that out.

That said, we will sign a waiver to play and I am firmly in the camp of taking responsibility for our choices and whatever may happen because of them. Insurance companies are another thing though. When my 19 year old son was a couple years old he was running down the aisle at a Walmart and a woman pushing her cart around the corner pegged him in the face. He needed stitches on his face at his cheekbone and we went to the emergency room and took care of it with our personal insurance. A couple months later a letter came in the mail because they saw on the medical records our account of the accident and it happened at a Walmart and they wanted me to sign paperwork to go after Walmart. I declined. I can see this same situation occurring if an insured person has been taking risk and contracts the virus and needs hospitalization......

Apr 28, 2014
The analogy was used to solicit replies.
We have accepted the risks involved in driving a car. And the actions of others can take any of our lives even with a 125 year old set of rules of the road. People looking for a fool proof softball season are going to disappointed.

Apr 1, 2017
We have accepted the risks involved in driving a car. And the actions of others can take any of our lives even with a 125 year old set of rules of the road. People looking for a fool proof softball season are going to disappointed.
One thing I wonder about though, is that even though the families might be all willing to accept the risk, pretty much every practice, game and tournament we play in the Chicago area is on a park district or school district owned field/facility. Even if the state reaches the point of allowing games, will the local districts be willing to take on the potential liability and open things up?

For example, just for the 12 teams in our org, there are 2 school districts and 3 park districts involved in scheduling just our practices and home league games.

Feb 25, 2018
One thing I wonder about though, is that even though the families might be all willing to accept the risk, pretty much every practice, game and tournament we play in the Chicago area is on a park district or school district owned field/facility. Even if the state reaches the point of allowing games, will the local districts be willing to take on the potential liability and open things up?

Im guessing that towns that are risk-averse with strong legal council or that have budget problems will take a pass on issuing permits for field use.

May 29, 2015

However ... we ARE REQUIRED to carry insurance on your car for the harm that we may cause others. We CHOOSE to carry insurance to protect our own assets and well-being.

Think of a mask like car insurance. Wear one when you go play.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015

For example, just for the 12 teams in our org, there are 2 school districts and 3 park districts involved in scheduling just our practices and home league games.

I think this is something we will see ... the State ceding decisions to the local levels. This is a double-edged sword though. Yes, local officials have better "eyes" on their situation, but they are also going to be much more sensitive/reluctant to reactive measures when something happens.

The problems I see with this are the same as I see with tournaments:

Some places will stay closed while some will open and people will travel there and then go back home. The potential for spread has just become significantly higher when you cannot keep spread localized and contained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00