Summer before college travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 10, 2013
DD plays on a high end travel team. Is committed and signed. TT is set for summer of 5-6 out of state tourneys(some many states away), which was a grind on the body and mind last year after rolling in straight from HS (&10 years of doing it) Had several college coaches tell some of our coaches we play too much. I was told we would play less, But yet, we will see a similar schedule again. 5-6 4or5 day out of state tourneys with big travel (and expense). DD has spring HS ball and is considering forgoing travel in the summer and enrolling early to train with team that stays on campus (we live within 40 min of the campus) . She has articulated very well that her best self is healthy, rested and continuously training on skill and weight room. Wants to be her best self when stepping on campus and I have had numerous girls (from her team and others) return from their freshman year and said they wished they hadn’t done travel after senior year. Loves her travel team, team has plenty of players so they won’t be short, but she is ready to move on and has said the being gone for weeks on end effects her physical and mental health, which I can confirm I’ve seen. Clearly, this is the direction she is heading and a convo with the college coach is coming for direction from them. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience or can just relay their thoughts. I’m hesitant because I have never allowed her to and she’s never asked to leave anything early. But, I do believe she will be her best self as a player if she devotes her time to this next step.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My DD didn't play a full TB schedule after her Senior year either. Over Summer, she would go up and workout with several of her college teammates and her coach twice a week since her college was an hour and a half away. That said, she also picked up with one or another of the elite teams when they'd play within a 3 hour drive and were shorthanded.

Jun 20, 2015
honestly, it might have been best to think about this lesser schedule needed last August. nothing says she had to play the most demanding summer schedule.

Now, depending on the level of her college, the most demanding schedule might just make her even more prepared for it. everyone's different.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sounds like you guys already know what the best course of action is! My DD‘s team played a limited schedule the Summer before college and it was probably the most fun we’ve ever had playing TB!

Really, only you guys can answer this! You do want to be in playing shape when you get to college, and with her playing Spring HS ball, a break after that might be nice? See if it’s possible to play just a couple of those TB tournaments?

She’ll be fine with either decision, don’t sweat it, enjoy this last year….seriously!

Jan 8, 2019
FWIW, D1 coach at the NFCA conference yesterday just commented on one of her pet peeves being when her freshmen come in injured, including arm issues from overuse in Aug.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Should be pointed out that~
The recruitment window/weeks that college coaches are allowed to recruit has been shortened into such a small time frame that it caused condensing playing more games in less time.
Created a play every weekend scenario.
Get as much in as we can type thing.

Also notable,
There 'is a gap' in time from when players stop playing in August to when they actually get on the field and throw a ball in college. Something in between that time is also happening.

Body care is possibly the least resourced aspect throughout youth sports.

Showing up to college out of shape is the opposite end of the conundrum.
Which has a cause and effect to the body.

Last edited:
May 21, 2015
South
DD played a few tournaments summer after senior year with high school friends. It was very relaxed and we did not travel. Spent majority of summer getting in shape for the demands of college ball. I think it would be unwise to play and travel extensively with a serious tournament team before going to college in the fall.

Jun 8, 2016
She is old enough to make her own decisions at this point, in particular ones which are not going to cause irreparable damage for the next 50 years of her life (for example if my kid told me she wanted to become a Yankees fan I would step in..). Cut the chord..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles