Is this Flu the final nail in Park and Rec's coffin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2020
With the governor here in this state keeping everything locked down, including schools and public park and recreation organizations, more and more parents are turning to private club organizations to get their kids outside and playing again. Even the High School governing bodies have canceled all of the fall sports and winter sports and the spring sports are next up on the chopping block.

In the past, kids would leave the local park and rec fastpitch league after 10U as the leagues 12U divisions would have 50% fewer players than the 10U. The last few years the 10U division has seen more and more girls depart for travel ball.

In the last month I have done over 30 gloves for travel fastpitch players much younger than I have ever seen in the past, some of these girls have just been 6 years old. What's more, these young girls are playing for travel organizations with names like Rippers, Legacy, Toxic, Crush, Riot, Destroyers, Sandlots.... T shirt start ups not tied to any of the older girl organizations.
According to the parents they are putting their daughters in to travel because the local ASA Girls Softball leagues are not getting the clearance to play and after 11 months of their kids being locked out of school, clubs and sports, the parents are doing what they can to get their kids back to being social and active.

Question is, once these parents see what is in store outside of the local park and rec leagues, will they ever take their kids back?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2019
With the governor here in this state keeping everything locked down, including schools and public park and recreation organizations, more and more parents are turning to private club organizations to get their kids outside and playing again. Even the High School governing bodies have canceled all of the fall sports and winter sports and the spring sports are next up on the chopping block.

In the past, kids would leave the local park and rec fastpitch league after 10U as the leagues 12U divisions would have 50% fewer players than the 10U. The last few years the 10U division has seen more and more girls depart for travel ball.

In the last month I have done over 30 gloves for travel fastpitch players much younger than I have ever seen in the past, some of these girls have just been 6 years old. What's more, these young girls are playing for travel organizations with names like Rippers, Legacy, Toxic, Crush, Riot, Destroyers, Sandlots.... T shirt start ups not tied to any of the older girl organizations.
According to the parents they are putting their daughters in to travel because the local ASA Girls Softball leagues are not getting the clearance to play and after 11 months of their kids being locked out of school, clubs and sports, the parents are doing what they can to get their kids back to being social and active.

Question is, once these parents see what is in store outside of the local park and rec leagues, will they ever take their kids back?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
What your talking about is unfortunate and should never have gotten to this point.

If people would have masked-up, social distanced, and made intelligent science based decisions we would already be through this damn pandemic with many more people still b

Unfortunately all the lies and misinformation spread by previous administration compounded with the denialism and selfishness of his ignorant misguided followers has prolonged this plague.

I am very hopeful with current administration embracing reality and science we can nip this virus in the bud rather quickly and get all our lives back to normal sooner rather than later.

So yes Rec teams will remain a viable place for young ladies to learn basic softball skills because they are needed and there are still good people that enjoy teaching the game to kids willing to learn.

Apr 28, 2014
What your talking about is unfortunate and should never have gotten to this point.

If people would have masked-up, social distanced, and made intelligent science based decisions we would already be through this damn pandemic with many more people still b

Don't know where you live but where I live everyone wears a mask. I have never seen someone in a store, restaurant or any public place for that matter without a mask. Maybe where you live that's not the case.
California our great leader state was the first to declare mandatory lockdowns and guess what? They have the highest number of cases and are in the top 5 in deaths.
Say whatever you want about the last administration but California is on its own as the state with the worst management of the disease followed closely by NY. What do they have in common?

Apr 20, 2015
In my state proper mask wearing is 50% at best and all sorts of excuses not to wear one. So sad since its so simple. It feels so never ending. We are in a little slow down here in Indiana. Hopefully a minute to catch our breath before the next wave hits

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
This thread is going to last about as long as I last trying to sit with other parents during youth sports events.
That's because a simple question can't be answered. It HAS to be turned into a political rant because a washed up President lives rent free in people's heads and probably will for a long time :)

Jun 8, 2016
That's because a simple question can't be answered. It HAS to be turned into a political rant because a washed up President lives rent free in people's heads and probably will for a long time :)
I suppose but the thread title certainly didn't exactly promote a discourse free of politics ;)

Apr 28, 2014
I suppose but the thread title certainly didn't exactly promote a discourse free of politics ;)

At some point you'd think people would wise up and learn to ignore things like that. When my kids were 4 I'd teach them to ignore stupid stuff and the people who say it will go away. I guess that's maturity. Today 40 and 50 year old people can't help themselves.

May 27, 2013
In my state the number of new positive cases appears to be trending down. I am hopeful that we have seen the worst as we are past the holidays. The surges occurred as predicted as evidenced by the cases I saw in the hospital where I work. I am hopeful that as more people are able to get vaccinated and as the spring brings warmer weather and people get outdoors again, the numbers will continue to trend down to where we were last summer.

Jun 8, 2016
At some point you'd think people would wise up and learn to ignore things like that. When my kids were 4 I'd teach them to ignore stupid stuff and the people who say it will go away. I guess that's maturity. Today 40 and 50 year old people can't help themselves.
True. Some people like to argue I guess......🙋‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles