Is this Flu the final nail in Park and Rec's coffin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am talking about thriving, not continuing. We have rec here but it is crap. From what I have read here,
the rec programs for 10U and under were very good in CA.
South Huntington Beach CA just had tryouts and evales this past weekend. They hope to get five 10u teams. (only one 12u team- ouch). That's a better turnout than I expected but still down from the eight 10u teams we had 3 years ago. The league is still not cleared for games yet.

Are those parents that jumped to TB are having buyers remorse? TB teams still can not officially play games in CA. They do play on unchalked, undragged fields with the threat of being shut down mid game by a sheriff or city official.

Worse yet the HS age players are being told they can not play on HS team and TB at the same time. So if they choose HS, which is cleared for practice only with no exact date when they could play games (maybe never this year). Or do they skip the HS team and just stay with TB team playing on unchalked fields and running to AZ once or twice a month to play in tourneys and/or showcases.

Jun 8, 2016
South Huntington Beach CA just had tryouts and evales this past weekend. They hope to get five 10u teams. (only one 12u team- ouch). That's a better turnout than I expected but still down from the eight 10u teams we had 3 years ago. The league is still not cleared for games yet.

Are those parents that jumped to TB are having buyers remorse? TB teams still can not officially play games in CA. They do play on unchalked, undragged fields with the threat of being shut down mid game by a sheriff or city official.

Worse yet the HS age players are being told they can not play on HS team and TB at the same time. So if they choose HS, which is cleared for practice only with no exact date when they could play games (maybe never this year). Or do they skip the HS team and just stay with TB team playing on unchalked fields and running to AZ once or twice a month to play in tourneys and/or showcases.
So is that a yes it will have a long-lasting impact?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm imo it has a current impact because cities are not offering rec.
As i commented earlier, there are still other city programs that age bracket has been and is currently using.
Like the tennis center is full of younsters attending lessons and group stuff.
Whenever the fields open families will use that opportunity again.

So depends on what long lasting is in terms of months?
But not years apon years. imo

Jun 8, 2016
Hmmm imo it has a current impact because cities are not offering rec.
As i commented earlier, there are still other city programs that age bracket has been and is currently using.
Like the tennis center is full of younsters attending lessons and group stuff.
Whenever the fields open families will use that opportunity again.
Ok so in your opinion there is a small impact currently but eventually it will return to how it was before the pandemic.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ok so in your opinion there is a small impact currently but eventually it will return to how it was before the pandemic.
It will most likely get back into its cycle of kids ...

In general
I will say there is some
'California Rust' because teams are not competing no where near as much as they had been.
For all the teams that are here and the few fields available...
Simple math says less games...less practices.

Some teams traveling out of state but not all.
More simple math.

Less softball
Add's up to Rust.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't know. I hope not. I hate to see 8u and 10u TB. Missing out on so much fun. Tuesday and Thursday night games. Some of the my DD (and mine) best memories are from playing rec ball- All-star teams traveling for tournaments (went to Idaho for Western Nationals, shaving cream war after closing ceremonies, movie night at the fields and helicopter ping pong ball drop. TB can not replace those days. I fear that if you start TB at 8u there is going to be greater chance of burnout. That being said in So Cal, After All-stars, fall ball comes pretty quickly and then Select tee shirt team pops up. So we were playing almost year around at 10u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles