Summer before college travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Not relevant to the OP, and don't mean to pick on you @PapaBear, but I hate that phrase "being a kid" when it is used in a context where playing ball is treated as being some kind of punishment. Unfortunately in the 21st century "being a kid" pretty much means sitting on your arse for 10 hours a day and staring at your phone so essentially the out-of-shape 50 YO in the drive thru at Sonic is "being a kid"
Cool, you do you and stay in your lane. Not to toot her own horn, but she's earned the right and punished her body for the game. Two surgeries, won state, cleaned house on awards her JR year in both state and nationally, Top 9 finish at PGF, has her school paid for and has devoted her life to being able to make this decision. When she says she wants to be a kid, she wants to be a kid. Doesn't tarnish anything she has ever done, accomplished or will accomplish in college. If she didn't love the game she could have walked away at any point. She is treating potentially this summer like a college player, taking time off, working out, working with her personal trainer, working with her pitching coach to be ready. If the term bothers you, then that's a you thing. She's a kid, not a machine. She enjoys to travel, she enjoys her small business that she has, she enjoys life outside of softball. She also recognizes she is not defined by softball but softball will create an opportunity where she is in a better position in 4 years because of her ability in the game. Where is it said that she needs or any kid needs to play once they are signed? She's been asked to go back to PGF, she's been asked to play on a team with all college bound kids with a small schedule. The choice is hers, like we've told her we will support her like we have since she was the one playing since she was 5. You don't have to agree with it, didn't ask. Just stating what my college bound kid who owes nothing to anyone may or may not do as her team is no longer.

Jun 8, 2016
Cool, you do you and stay in your lane. Not to toot her own horn, but she's earned the right and punished her body for the game. Two surgeries, won state, cleaned house on awards her JR year in both state and nationally, Top 9 finish at PGF, has her school paid for and has devoted her life to being able to make this decision. When she says she wants to be a kid, she wants to be a kid. Doesn't tarnish anything she has ever done, accomplished or will accomplish in college. If she didn't love the game she could have walked away at any point. She is treating potentially this summer like a college player, taking time off, working out, working with her personal trainer, working with her pitching coach to be ready. If the term bothers you, then that's a you thing. She's a kid, not a machine. She enjoys to travel, she enjoys her small business that she has, she enjoys life outside of softball. She also recognizes she is not defined by softball but softball will create an opportunity where she is in a better position in 4 years because of her ability in the game. Where is it said that she needs or any kid needs to play once they are signed? She's been asked to go back to PGF, she's been asked to play on a team with all college bound kids with a small schedule. The choice is hers, like we've told her we will support her like we have since she was the one playing since she was 5. You don't have to agree with it, didn't ask. Just stating what my college bound kid who owes nothing to anyone may or may not do as her team is no longer.
You missed my point. I have no problem with her (or anybody) taking time off.. as a matter of fact, with regards to the OP, I said as much in post #10 in this thread.

I am glad that for your kid, "being a kid" actually involves activities which are healthy and productive towards her growth.

Jun 27, 2021
You missed my point. I have no problem with her (or anybody) taking time off.. as a matter of fact, with regards to the OP, I said as much in post #10 in this thread.

I am glad that for your kid, "being a kid" actually involves activities which are healthy and productive towards her growth.
I went back and read it, that is fair and that is where she is.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
DD plays on a high end travel team. Is committed and signed. TT is set for summer of 5-6 out of state tourneys(some many states away), which was a grind on the body and mind last year after rolling in straight from HS (&10 years of doing it) Had several college coaches tell some of our coaches we play too much. I was told we would play less, But yet, we will see a similar schedule again. 5-6 4or5 day out of state tourneys with big travel (and expense). DD has spring HS ball and is considering forgoing travel in the summer and enrolling early to train with team that stays on campus...

In our area we have a few high end travel teams and plenty of wanna-be's who are about helping players get recruited. Regardless of how well they compete, they are all good at getting their players recruited.
Neither the HC nor I were interested in selling players so our team evolved into a different niche. We developed young players, they went to the high end and wanna-be teams to get recruited, and then some of them returned to our team after being signed because they said they learned a lot and they had fun. We even picked up some signed players who never played for us as young guns because they heard we were a fun team that could compete.
As I just mentioned, our young guns and signed players competed well against the high end teams and usually kicked the butts of the wanna-be's. I'm sure plenty of other teams have found success with this formula so, if you ask around and keep and open mind, your DD may just find one great final TB experience before heading off to college.

Jun 8, 2016
In our area we have a few high end travel teams and plenty of wanna-be's who are about helping players get recruited. Regardless of how well they compete, they are all good at getting their players recruited.
Neither the HC nor I were interested in selling players so our team evolved into a different niche. We developed young players, they went to the high end and wanna-be teams to get recruited, and then some of them returned to our team after being signed because they said they learned a lot and they had fun. We even picked up some signed players who never played for us as young guns because they heard we were a fun team that could compete.
As I just mentioned, our young guns and signed players competed well against the high end teams and usually kicked the butts of the wanna-be's. I'm sure plenty of other teams have found success with this formula so,if you ask around and keep and open mind, your DD may just find one great final TB experience before heading off to college
Pro tip..you can quote only a portion of a person’s post by editing it. That way the poster’s name stays on the quote. Heck you can even bold it if you want…

Also that was a lot bragging to basically say:

if you ask around and keep and open mind, your DD may just find one great final TB experience before heading off to college

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021
My daughter ended up playing a summer travel ball schedule after her Senior year but it was limited to 5 tournaments and a handful of practices. She said she was glad she played. Now, she's eligible to play again the summer after her Freshman year of college and we are not sure what we are doing there yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles