My Stats vs Scorekeeper Stats ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
You are factually correct but in all honesty, and I mean no offense, I think it's kind of silly to worry about stats in 12U rec. My son was a pitcher in 12U rec and believe me I understand, but if I wanted accurate stats I made sure to keep them myself.

Feb 7, 2013
You are factually correct but in all honesty, and I mean no offense, I think it's kind of silly to worry about stats in 12U rec. My son was a pitcher in 12U rec and believe me I understand, but if I wanted accurate stats I made sure to keep them myself.

I think it really depends on where you play fastpitch. In SoCal, when I coached rec all-stars, we would educate our scorekeepers on how to keep score so that it was consistent for the team and this information was one component of many factors when we, for example, made line-up decisions, pitching decisions, etc. If done correctly, its a good tool for coaches to use to help evaluate individual and team performance. The players were not privy to this information but the parents could follow the team stats online, if they chose.

Feb 7, 2013
Gosh, no matter the age in rec., all that is kept is the batting order and runs scored, around here.

Amy, about 4 years ago was the first time I saw someone scoring a game on their iPad. Today, if you go to the one of the scoring apps like Gamechanger or iScore and type in "8U" or "10U" in the search teams field you will see literally 100s and 100s of teams that show up under youth softball and baseball. This is how the game is now scored. Technology has allowed people to "watch the game" from their phone because every pitch and play is recorded and updated in real-time. They even have game recaps that tell the key highlights of the game, spray charts, every pitching stat you could possibly want, etc.

Feb 23, 2014
No. CA
IME, you are lucky enough in rec league to find someone that wants to score, forget an experienced scorekeeper. A few years ago all the teams in our division were on Gamechanger. At the end of the season I reviewed the other teams season stats and 3 of the 6 teams had not recorded one single Reached on Error (ROE) for their hitters team. I knew this to be untrue because my team averaged about 5 errors per game!

I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you really want meaningful stats, if so, you need to train the scorekeeper how to correctly score the book.

p.s. I see your DD is a pitcher, did she happen to be the starting pitcher that game?:)

RT1-
Nope. She got the night off since the competition wasn't that good :)

Feb 23, 2014
No. CA
The HC asked me to keep track since he may be the all stars coach. He's a great coach and a numbers guy. For rec ball, I would like to just bat 'em and score 'em cause, it's just rec ball. where the girls should learn and have fun without any pressure.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The HC asked me to keep track since he may be the all stars coach. He's a great coach and a numbers guy. For rec ball, I would like to just bat 'em and score 'em cause, it's just rec ball. where the girls should learn and have fun without any pressure.

keep track of runs and batting order, the rest does not matter

Keeping stats doesn't add pressure or indicate that you're taking the game too seriously. I'm not saying that anybody needs to keeps stats in 10 rec, but I did during the one season that I coached it, mainly because I had fun looking at them. And just because it's rec doesn't mean you might not adjust a batting order based on what you see. And what you see might help you coach. Stats help you verify patterns. Who's putting the ball in play? Who's not? Who's getting on base? Who's not? And why? Sometimes what you think you see isn't supported by the facts.

Nov 1, 2008
The youngest ago group I kept stats in was 7-8 coach pitch baseball. I was coaching and had a mother scoring for the sake of all-star selection. If they reached the base safely I counted that as a hit for batting average purpose. All I needed to know was who was putting the ball in play. At the end of the season the cutoff point for the last spot was tough to make because 2 were tied, but I went with the one who had the highest average over the last part of the season. I knew he had improved tenfold since the beginning of the season. But I didn't realize he had caught up to the other boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission