GameChanger stats - used by Coaches or Program Managers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2019
Spin off thread? Best GC scoring fails? I'm not one to start these but I got a couple good ones.

Mar 28, 2014
Spin off thread? Best GC scoring fails? I'm not one to start these but I got a couple good ones.
One of many happened yesterday. Bases loaded. Can of corn hit to LF. She starts circling under it like a hawk for some reason. I guess the wind even though it was maybe 5 mph. Gets all twisted up. Ball ends up dropping. She picks it up, wings it home. 3b Runner safe at home. 2b runner advances to 3rd on throw. 1b runner is advancing to 2b. Catcher wings it to........... ummmmmm....... essentially right center field. A good 15 foot to the 1b side of 2b.. Goes to the fence. Both runners score. GC dude gives zero errors on the play. 3 earned runs to the pitcher. Lol.......................

Jul 27, 2015
I always set the stats to private. Which kind of cracks me up, since you could easily calculate them yourself with the box scores.
One season a girl asked the coach why she was sitting on the bench so much when she led the team in batting average. A week or two later, in the last game of the year, another girl asked why she was sitting on the bench in the championship game when she led the team in RBI, home runs, and triples. The reason why was there were 5 coaches kids and they needed to bat every game. But that is not an answer you can give, so the coach did as you did, he made them private the next season.

Me, being a former financial analyst, made an excel spreadsheet and kept all the stats too using box scores. Of course my stats could not break down things as nicely as GC, but it let me see what was going on.

And boy was it a show how the next season went when they thought no one knew the stats. Clean up hitter was batting under .200 with zero power numbers. #8 hitter led the team in batting average at .500 and was second in home runs. #7 batter was ~ 225 points higher than the #4 hitter. 100 points higher than #5 hitter and was ahead of them in every category (RBI, slugging percent, etc) #6 hitter led the team in home runs and RBI. It was a complete debacle.

The pitching stats were even more of a joke. Needless to say, two of the girls who got the short end of the deal the most quit the team when that season ended.

Jun 19, 2016
As far as GC stats, a few might be hard to ignore. Strikeouts (for batters) and walks (for pitchers). Even the worst scorer doesn't get those wrong. Unless they are purposefully altering facts, I suppose.
The dreaded 2-1 ITB count can mess this up.

Jun 19, 2016
GC stats very wildly. My DD got charged a hit this weekend when the ball went between the infielders legs....twice.

Jul 27, 2015
At first I thought it was my bias so started keeping an eye on it and noticed he mostly does it when his DD is pitching (protecting her ERA?) and is reluctant to assign his DD the fielding errors he passes out so freely to the other girls. I mentioned it to DH who said he noticed it for some time now but who cares? Just curious if I should care or not. TIA

Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience. You cannot win in this situation. If you say anything, you will come across as a whiner even if you are 100% correct. It is not worth it. Just let it go. If it gets too bad, leave the team.

May 6, 2015
The dreaded 2-1 ITB count can mess this up.
hey GC, possible improvement here to take notice of (and this one seems an easy programming change really, at the top of any inning scoreekeeper could simply let GC know that they were going to ITB, have ITB setting able to be modified too, played lots of games with runner on second but no balls or strikes preawarded).

Mar 28, 2014
hey GC, possible improvement here to take notice of (and this one seems an easy programming change really, at the top of any inning scoreekeeper could simply let GC know that they were going to ITB, have ITB setting able to be modified too, played lots of games with runner on second but no balls or strikes preawarded).
No it's easy to allow for that type of ITB in GC, you just give the batter 1 ball and 2 strikes before they step into the box. What he was saying is that it can skew the batter and pitcher's stats. Walk stats for the pitcher because in ITB they start 2-1 so a walk isn't 4 balls. It was only 2. And strikeouts for the batter because they started with 1 strike instead of 0.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Never have cared to use other peoples interpretations.

Especially hitting stats.
No telling what pitching and defense players have been facing.

As for people who are watching the game live and still checking how GC is being ran...
thats the same as...
Relentlessly following any social media topics...
its part of tech'no habit
Cumpulsive behavior perhaps?! 💁

May 6, 2015
No it's easy to allow for that type of ITB in GC, you just give the batter 1 ball and 2 strikes before they step into the box. What he was saying is that it can skew the batter and pitcher's stats. Walk stats for the pitcher because in ITB they start 2-1 so a walk isn't 4 balls. It was only 2. And strikeouts for the batter because they started with 1 strike instead of 0.
I meant it should be an easy programming change, to simply say starting now, each batter starts with 2 balls and a strike, not that it is currently easy to do as currently programmed.

doesnt mean it will happen though. generally, unless they are threatened by a competitor, or can monetize a change (ie paid upgrades), even simple programming changes get neglected.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish