Pitchers, Catchers, Wild Pitches & Passed Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
An explanation of My Mind Set On the field.
Is not to say the way the score book is done is wrong. it is a perspective shared about being a softball player on the field.

We know that there are some pitches that are considered wild pitches and others considered passed balls.

Which means in the score book if the pitched ball bounces in front of the catcher it is considered a wild pitch.
And if it got by the catcher it would not be considered a passed ball.

For the purpose of being a defensive player.
It is my mindset that it does not matter if it is considered a wild pitch it is still my responsibility as a defensive player/catcher to play the ball and control it. Which additionally includes not letting Runners on base Steel the next base.
'Field and Fire'

(For this reason I set the expectation that I am not released from the possibility of an error because it is considered a wild pitch.)
*The ball is still in play and it is my job to control it.
If the ball gets by me just because it's in the dirt I consider that an error.
*Because I know that everybody else in their defensive positions have the responsibility of Fielding grounders.
Hold that responsibility to myself regardless if it came out of the pitcher's hand!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
What has come of this mindset and application of mechanics~

Great defense!

From a catcher who made it a priority to have explosive range, in the air, to the sides, or in the dirt, to be a defensive player that controls the ball to finish making the play and control the game.

I will continue to hold the standard on the field.

*** I'm glad people want to accurately follow application of the scorebook and however that is determined. But it is really irrelevant to my mindset. It is not an argument or debate against those that want the scorebook to be accurately done. It is the mindset of a softball player on the field.

That said,
the only thing that matters to me about the scorebook at the end of the game is
the score itself!

💥Appreciate the conversations people have on dfp because it brings out perspective.
💥Thank you for sharing yours!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Doesn't every competitive catcher feel the same way?
Would hope so, but unfortunately
No, some people will say it was a wild pitch. And in some way seems to alleviate the responsibility of the defensive player... because it's not charged as a passed ball.
( some people look at the scorebook, rather than look at responsibility on the field.
This is why especially pitchers/batters are concerned with giving a hit or an error. Subjective judgment. Or for the catcher, the ball got by them so it's not a passed ball error. If it bounced first.)

This is directly why I do not care for the way the scorebook is applied. However I understand there has to be parameters to try and make the scorebook consistent.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
🤣 at it or not

It is relevant because some people DO look at what the scorebook shows.
Specifically for some people the outcome of the judgment of plays in the scorebook is critical to them.
Doesn't mean the scorer should change how scoring has been done for 100 years..We get it Rad, you are hardcore.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Doesn't mean the scorer should change how scoring has been done for 100 years..We get it Rad, you are hardcore.
... okay....but it's not about me, or being hardcore it's about softball.

Not saying change how it's been done

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Mindset of people is a good way to put it!
That not everybody views the game the same way.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
I confess that I have never played sports at an elite level, but I have to believe that every athlete at that level will berate themselves for missing a play they know they should be able to make regardless of whether it is an error or not.

And I have to believe that whatever it is that makes, say, a football receiver lay it all out to make an incredible catch knowing that the next thing is going to be a crushing hit from a defender is due to some passion for the game and winning and not the statistics book.

And I have to believe that 100% of athletes who take their sport seriously understand that there is only one statistic that matters.

Jun 8, 2016
That's right that's my perspective added in comparison to other perspectives on the field. As a discussion topic. The perspective was added. Yes it happened to come from me but it is not about me.
To have a discussion you have to have two opposing views and I doubt anybody on here is going to espouse an attitude which relates effort to the proper scoring of a play..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28