Scoring Disasters: The Flaws of Letting Unknowing Parents Keep Book

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
However, if you a situation such as: Tied game, bottom of 7th, runner on 3rd with 1 out. Batter drops a bunt right in front of the plate and the catcher holds the ball at the plate preventing the winning run from scoring, then that is a case for defensive indifference because the batter/runner is of no consequence to the game.

No, it's not. Defensive indifference is to be used in a very specific, well-defined situation and not any time a scorer just feels like using it.

Defensive indifference is for uncontested stolen bases only. It's not to be used on balls put in play by the batter.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I've been doing GC/books since DD was in 10U - back in 2016. When I used to do the books prior to GC, we were always a lot more lax on hits vs errors since they happened so often.

OPs original question - I completely understand. I really hate when I see other teams who GC our games and have everything wrong. To me - I don't think it's that hard to keep up with the game and make sure that I have any courtesy runners, subs, etc all in place. I'm also pretty OCD about making sure the defense for the other team is correct. I get a little lax when it comes to outfielders since numbers are harder to see but I try my best to make sure everything is correct.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I can't stand when I see other teams only have the #s for the lineup or not even put any defense or even the pitcher in place for the other team. I always get both lineups from the coach so it's not like they aren't getting the info (if they really are the official scorekeeper). We played a team that had us in as another team in our org - like - our name is on the stupid schedule. It's not hard.

I was official scorekeeper for DD's last team and on her new team this season, someone else originally did GC. I also kept my own to see stats and this other scorer was giving people hits when it was supposed to be FC. It actually drove me nuts to see it so I did ask if she needed a scorekeeper - I'd do it - and then I kept GC for the rest of the season.

During DD's high school season - the coach kept GC - I kept my own as well because he didn't share stats or anything. One game I could see they weren't scoring it live at least and DD had a pretty good day. When I looked at how things actually got scored, it was all mixed up. People got hits that actually got out - and DD's good day didn't look so good for the official stats. I asked the coach and they said they had had troubles and were kind of just trying to remember what happened? I sent him my play by play so at least the stats were somewhat correct.

Official high school stats can be uploaded to maxpreps so the stats are kind of official and if you get them wrong - the player's stats look bad.

As official scorekeeper I take it seriously - it probably isn't that serious - but I like things to be correct. I also film every one of DD's at bats and still manage to do GC so - again - not sure if that's hard if you've been doing it awhile. I've also had to keep book and GC at the same time.

Nov 4, 2015
Just as a side note... I was streaming the GC radio of a local high school scrimmage game. The scoring was that the batter had a "double on a ground ball to short stop". What???

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Just as a side note... I was streaming the GC radio of a local high school scrimmage game. The scoring was that the batter had a "double on a ground ball to short stop". What???
I was at DD's practice one night and there was another game going on at the field behind me. Just for fun, I found that one team was scoring it. EVERY ball went to the catcher. Line drive to the outfield - scored as a line drive double to the catcher. It gets caught in the outfield - fly ball to the catcher. I'm not sure why they were even scoring the game. At least they got the runs correct. I can just imagine how many fielding chances their catcher had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28