Check of count. What should happen?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As an ump who does occasionally forget the count ... I would never ask the book for anything other than the score — the only thing I don’t typically keep.

The home book is the “official book” for stats — that does not make them an official. They are team personnel, and borderline at that. Same goes for the scoreboard operator.

When you pay one ump, you get one ump.

Interesting. I have seen umps consult with scorekeepers on counts and outs more than a few times. That said, it's most often in games that count for little to nothing (showcase or friendlies).

Dec 15, 2018
CT
When working 1-man I definitely have occasionally asked benches for count or outs to confirm.

This is much better than the alternative, losing the count, which I have done twice (I still very much remember both times).

1. Didn't matter....rang a girl up on strike 2. Coach was already displeased with me, and this was his daughter, and this did not help my credibility. I think it was the fourth game I ever did. It fixed itself, as everyone let me know it was only strike 2.

2. Forgot a foul ball. On what should have been strike 3 I came up to call it, but something told me it was only strike 2, and my indicator "confirmed" it....next pitch she hits a bases clearing triple. Next batter takes a strike....THEN the defensive coach says something. Too late. Luckily it didn't influence the outcome of the game. But it took me a while to forgive myself for that.

That said, especially because of instance 2 above, I work very hard to always have the count right. I never want that to happen again.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If there's any question, I routinely see umps check with partners, and then team scorebooks. If you're off on the count, chances are a bunch of people will let you know about it. The other coach pleading ignorance is lame on at least two levels.

Jun 26, 2019
If there's any question, I routinely see umps check with partners, and then team scorebooks. If you're off on the count, chances are a bunch of people will let you know about it. The other coach pleading ignorance is lame on at least two levels.
Perfect username and title to answer this thread.

May 29, 2015
Curious, why not use resources in an awkward moment?

Because of inconsistencies they may have?

Pay for one ump get one ump.
Vs
Pay for one ump, and give them some help.

"Hey coach, I blinked out for a second there ... was she safe or out?" Not going to happen.

If the tournament or league had an officially provided bookkeeper who was not affiliated with either team, I might consider it. However, I don't consider F6's dad a resource. I may be in the minority about this, but I am adamant in not using the book keeper to adjudicate the game. If I screw up, I screw up. I'm sorry.

How about this situation ... the bookkeeper, who has been sitting on the fence just to the left/right of the umpire starts squawking about a batter batting out of order. What should the umpire do?

If you said listen to the bookkeeper, you are incorrect. Team personnel and all coaching staff should be inside the dugout. If the bookkeeper is "official team personnel" I now have to warn/restrict/eject him for being outside the dugout.

If the coach wants to follow up on this yapping from the fans, the coach needs to ask for time and follow up appropriately.

Reactions: PDM

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
As an ump who does occasionally forget the count ... I would never ask the book for anything other than the score — the only thing I don’t typically keep.

The home book is the “official book” for stats — that does not make them an official. They are team personnel, and borderline at that. Same goes for the scoreboard operator.

When you pay one ump, you get one ump.
Perfect response! The umpire makes the final decision.

Nov 18, 2015
I guess I honestly Am suprised that others have two umps at games at lower age levels. In three seasons of our local league Between my two 10 and 12u girls I have never seen team umps in my life, not even the final game of the year end tournament.
You just need to remember that the vast majority of posters here are speaking from TB experience - rec ball is usually just a quickly fading memory in the rearview mirror.

IIRC, our rec league never has two umps for 10-12U. But 2nd and 3rd graders did have 2 youth umps at most games. For the older divisions, 2 umps might break the bank if every game incurred another $40-50 in umpire fees. (of course - there's always the option to raise registration fees accordingly).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"Hey coach, I blinked out for a second there ... was she safe or out?" Not going to happen.

If the tournament or league had an officially provided bookkeeper who was not affiliated with either team, I might consider it. However, I don't consider F6's dad a resource. I may be in the minority about this, but I am adamant in not using the book keeper to adjudicate the game. If I screw up, I screw up. I'm sorry.

How about this situation ... the bookkeeper, who has been sitting on the fence just to the left/right of the umpire starts squawking about a batter batting out of order. What should the umpire do?

If you said listen to the bookkeeper, you are incorrect. Team personnel and all coaching staff should be inside the dugout. If the bookkeeper is "official team personnel" I now have to warn/restrict/eject him for being outside the dugout.

If the coach wants to follow up on this yapping from the fans, the coach needs to ask for time and follow up appropriately.
Can see it seems you question the integrity of the help...
But so are the teams lol

To not ask just seems like two wrongs.
If two teams have a scorekeeper, which many times both do,
At least there is a refference to help.

But to questionably BE wrong and not inquire to help, seems wrong.

However that is okay its your job perspective guiding you!
Do notice,
Majority of umpires will either ask for help or
HAVE HELP YELLED AT THEM :)
to amend situation.

* gonna use this opportunity again to say
Use your bat and dont let the umpire decide the outcome for you ;)

Jun 26, 2019
* gonna use this opportunity again to say
Use your bat and dont let the umpire decide the outcome for you ;)
Im with you, but the batter really didn’t have a choice in the matter this time. First pitch was above eye level (called ball) , second pitch was a little low and she swung and missed, and was “out”

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Im with you, but the batter really didn’t have a choice in the matter this time. First pitch was above eye level (called ball) , second pitch was a little low and she swung and missed, and was “out”
Thats a bad situation for sure!
Maybe video replay mandatory so blue doesnt have to rely on what could be questionable scorekeepers???!!! 👍

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13