My Stats vs Scorekeeper Stats ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 23, 2014
No. CA
I'm the AC for a 12U Rec Ball team. Question is, when I reviewed the official score keepers book after the game, him and I are both off. For instance, first play of the game hard grounder to short, throwing error to first and runner is safe. I have in my iscore an E6. Book says 1B and nothing about an error. Same with stolen bases. Is a stolen base a stolen base on a passed ball or wild pitch by the catcher? Many more discrepancies. I think we may need a new score keeper. What do you all say?

Thanks,
TOD

Mar 26, 2013
Had to be there to know which is right...
- It's a hit if the throw was too late to get the out. E6 if they were safe due to the bad throw.
- It's a SB if the runner was advancing prior to the ball getting away/past the catcher. WP/PB if they took off afterward.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm the AC for a 12U Rec Ball team. Question is, when I reviewed the official score keepers book after the game, him and I are both off. For instance, first play of the game hard grounder to short, throwing error to first and runner is safe. I have in my iscore an E6. Book says 1B and nothing about an error. Same with stolen bases. Is a stolen base a stolen base on a passed ball or wild pitch by the catcher? Many more discrepancies. I think we may need a new score keeper. What do you all say?

Thanks,
TOD

IMHO... PASS BALL IS AN ERROR. :cool:

Feb 7, 2013
IME, you are lucky enough in rec league to find someone that wants to score, forget an experienced scorekeeper. A few years ago all the teams in our division were on Gamechanger. At the end of the season I reviewed the other teams season stats and 3 of the 6 teams had not recorded one single Reached on Error (ROE) for their hitters team. I knew this to be untrue because my team averaged about 5 errors per game!

I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you really want meaningful stats, if so, you need to train the scorekeeper how to correctly score the book.

p.s. I see your DD is a pitcher, did she happen to be the starting pitcher that game?:)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Depends on why you keep the book. If it's to keep score, then the current scorekeeper is fine. If it's to keep precise and accurate stats, then the current scorekeeper needs to be taught how to do that, or be replaced. If would think that if you're tabulating stats, you'd want to distinguish between a real hit and an error. To answer your question about a stolen base, if runners advance on pitches when no ball is put in play, then it's a SB, a PB, a WP, an E, or defensive indifference. They are not all stolen bases. But you have to decide whether it's worthwhile or valuable to make those distinctions on a 12U rec team.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Why not show them what you want as a coach.... as PC said to him a PB is an error... if he wants to score it that way as the coach then the scorekeeper needs to know.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I know that... Officially. But if the coach wants all those scored as E-2's it's his team, he just needs to tell the scorekeeper what he wants is all... This isn't a debate on PB=E

Feb 7, 2013
Maybe I'm missing something, but a PB is not an error.

A scored run due to a passed ball is not recorded as an earned run. However, a scored run due to a wild pitch is recorded as an earned run. Passed balls and wild pitches are considered to be part of the act of pitching rather than fielding. Thus they are kept as separate statistics and are not recorded as errors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24