Scoring Disasters: The Flaws of Letting Unknowing Parents Keep Book

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2015
Very rarely do I see a parent rush in to volunteer to do GC.

Like umping and coaching it can be a thankless gig.

Yet the parents that won’t because they don’t know how, the parents that do know but the coaches don’t trust them to do it are the ones who usually squawk the most.

If the coaches solely relied on it, they would be very selective who did it.

The game can move fast, and sometimes subs are made that you may not catch. Then having to make corrections aren’t always intuitive and easy and can cause havoc. Now unless you have a photographic memory it can be challenging, and stressful.

In addition, some of it is subjective. From errors, to fly balls I’ve seen people call it differently. Or even an interpretation of the rules. And in the moment sometimes coaches are too busy to answer what they’d call it.

Or the person doing GC, god forbid took a second to watch their own kid for a second and lost track. But again, you’ll have parents want to act like you did something wrong by calling thief hit an error.

When I do GC, if the other team is doing GC I have theirs running as well for reference. So if I get lost, I can recover quickly. I swear it s the pitch count that really makes it hard. Also if it’s debatable, if the other team has it the same way I was thinking, I don’t need to waste coaches time asking about it. Of course, as long as the other teams GC isn’t hot garbage but you should know that by the end of the 1st inning lol.

Or I’ll put notes in like ask coach, so before the game is finalized, we can make correction as needed. Cause heaven forbid a kids name doesn’t show up in the recap story so the parents can’t screen shot it to post on FB for the world to see.

Ok I’m venting now too. I do it if asked, But I let the coaches know that I’m not perfect. I will gladly increase the chances of a hit over an error for a tasty beverage.

But back to the OP’s thoughts and views. If they feel it’s that detrimental to the experience that the players and families are having, then I’d just say to talk to the coaches a day or two removed from the games, not during the tournament.

You may or may not get the answer you want , but at least you’ll understand. Which for me is half the battle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 29, 2019
How about those parents that are watching GC on their phone, while they're there watching the game live at the field? You gotta love it when they come up to you and argue how you "scored" a play, to the point where you can't follow along with subsequent plays because they just won't leave you alone until "YOU CHANGE THAT PLAY!" that they disagree with. Next thing you know you are a couple of batters behind and another parent wants to know why you are so "slow" in updating GC. Then you have the parents that, seeing others hovering over your shoulders, think there is a game changer stats conspiracy going on so they have to get in the mix as well. That pretty much described our 2nd year 12U team a few years back. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 8, 2015
The one condition I have is that I’m in the dugout when I’m doing it (whenever possible) . to be able to have the best view and being able to consult coaches if need be. Also to deter the crazies from trying that move lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2015
New England
However, if you a situation such as: Tied game, bottom of 7th, runner on 3rd with 1 out. Batter drops a bunt right in front of the plate and the catcher holds the ball at the plate preventing the winning run from scoring, then that is a case for defensive indifference

I would consider that a fielder's choice, but same difference. No hit.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
if the defense clearly chooses not to make a lay on BR to stop a runner from advancing/scoring, would that be DI or FC? that would not be scored as hit, correct? or would it still be a SAC?

Fielder's choice, IMO, assuming an out could've been had at first. Can't be a sacrifice unless a runner advances.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's HC just blocked parents from seeing the stats...two thumbs up to him as it does nothing but create problems. He did this after we were having a conversation on the phone about that very thing and I told him that there should be a way of doing this (blocking) so any angry parents can blame me... :LOL:

Dec 15, 2018
CT
DD's HC just blocked parents from seeing the stats...two thumbs up to him as it does nothing but create problems. He did this after we were having a conversation on the phone about that very thing and I told him that there should be a way of doing this (blocking) so any angry parents can blame me... :LOL:

Coming up on the approximately one year anniversary of me banning myself from looking at GC stats...I have never been happier, it's been a great year.

May 6, 2015
Fielder's choice, IMO, assuming an out could've been had at first. Can't be a sacrifice unless a runner advances.

I have a hard time with it not being either a hit or a SAC. Batter doing their job, getting bunt down, making defense allow a run or allow batter to reach 1B, should not hurt their stats. that is whole point of a SAC, batters stats are neither helped nor hurt by the AB.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I have a hard time with it not being either a hit or a SAC. Batter doing their job, getting bunt down, making defense allow a run or allow batter to reach 1B, should not hurt their stats. that is whole point of a SAC, batters stats are neither helped nor hurt by the AB.

Yeah, it's one of those things where if the goal of scoring is purely to evaluate players, then a team or coach can have their own rules for plays like that and make it a hit or sac. No real crime in that. Travel teams are beholden to themselves. But if it's part of some official stats for a league, or obviously something like NCAA, then scorekeeper would be obliged to follow official scoring rules.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, it's one of those things where if the goal of scoring is purely to evaluate players, then a team or coach can have their own rules for plays like that and make it a hit or sac. No real crime in that. Travel teams are beholden to themselves. But if it's part of some official stats for a league, or obviously something like NCAA, then scorekeeper would be obliged to follow official scoring rules.
It seems "safer" to just follow the rules...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12