General Observations for the weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
  1. If you are keeping score, please know what a DP/Flex looks like on the Line-up card. We had a score keeper and the opposing coach stop down the game for 5 mins while we (myself and the ump) explained that there is no tenth batter...... that's the pitcher.
  2. If your player gets hit by the batted ball and it takes a right hand turn before it gets to the SS, she is out. Coming off the bench yelling and bowing up to the Ump, just flat out looks terrible and it's not gonna get overturned.
  3. If your runner slides off the bag and takes out the SS after she is out at 2nd..... You are probably going to get the batter running to first out too. Keep cool and once again don't yell at the ump.
  4. If you are in a championship game with three umps and a girls checks her swing...... ask the right ump for an appeal. Asking the wrong one then getting angry about a safe call just makes you look dumb.
  5. Mostly, if you are going to coach softball..... know the rules. It's pretty much the base level of coaching. You have to have zero playing experience to actually know the rules.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Knowing the rules in and out is like having a 10th fielder on the field. Use them to your advantage. Between innings I would always talk to the umps regarding a play that just happening. But I would ask them if a different scenario actually happened, what would the ruling be? Saved that knowledge for future circumstances.

May 1, 2018
oh another from this weekend. Infield fly, that was dropped, third baseman tags third base..... my runner on two walks past her with the ball and goes and stands on third. No tag applied, no force. Sneaky play by my DD knowing the actual rule.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
  1. If you are keeping score, please know what a DP/Flex looks like on the Line-up card. We had a score keeper and the opposing coach stop down the game for 5 mins while we (myself and the ump) explained that there is no tenth batter...... that's the pitcher.
  2. If your player gets hit by the batted ball and it takes a right hand turn before it gets to the SS, she is out. Coming off the bench yelling and bowing up to the Ump, just flat out looks terrible and it's not gonna get overturned.
  3. If your runner slides off the bag and takes out the SS after she is out at 2nd..... You are probably going to get the batter running to first out too. Keep cool and once again don't yell at the ump.
  4. If you are in a championship game with three umps and a girls checks her swing...... ask the right ump for an appeal. Asking the wrong one then getting angry about a safe call just makes you look dumb.
  5. Mostly, if you are going to coach softball..... know the rules. It's pretty much the base level of coaching. You have to have zero playing experience to actually know the rules.
The idiom "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot." seems to apply here.

Jul 22, 2015
Knowing the rules in and out is like having a 10th fielder on the field. Use them to your advantage. Between innings I would always talk to the umps regarding a play that just happening. But I would ask them if a different scenario actually happened, what would the ruling be? Saved that knowledge for future circumstances.
Always did the same thing. I felt like I could get us at least one call per weekend if I knew the rules better than the other team (and sometimes the ump lol).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If you are keeping score, please know what a DP/Flex looks like on the Line-up card. We had a score keeper and the opposing coach stop down the game for 5 mins while we (myself and the ump) explained that there is no tenth batter...... that's the pitcher.

I once had to explain that, along with the USSSA Additional Player rules, to an umpire before a game.

Jun 11, 2013
To be fair often someone has to volunteer to be the scorekeeper. Ideally they know all the rules but that's not always the case. For most they pick this up, but it's not an obvious thing if you came from baseball (DP/Flex).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles