Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
From what I can tell both Jenny and Lisa will have their fingers turned outside after the picture you have here and before the ball gets to top of their head.

Cat Osterman’s delivery appears to be the same as you see with the instructor on Fastpitch Power. The hand is under the ball when the elbow drops.

What am I missing?

Jul 14, 2008
Ok Sky look, I’m not sure why you’re not hearing the other half of the conversation. My half. So one more time my friend.

You posted a video of a guy who is blatantly teaching something, that, while it may happen to a lessor or greater degree later in the circle, I.E. the ball turning outward at some point, earlier in some, and later in others, IS NOT DONE ON PURPOSE by ANY high level pitcher, It is NOT a move that is used by any high level pitcher to “unlock” the elbow. It is not a move taught by any high level instructor (outside his fantasy) to “unlock an elbow”.

And in fact, I’d venture to say if any pitcher came to any other high level instructor and said, “my previous pitching coach told me to twist the ball inside out to unlock my elbow on the way up the circle”, they would be told to never do that again.

All you have to do is look at the girl doing the wall drill I posted. She has the ball turned inside out against the wall and her elbow is almost perfectly straight all the way around.

So one once again, this guy has no idea what he’s talking about on this subject.

Last, I noticed you commented on the pictures I posted of the female pitchers who’s hands were clearly not turned out above the nose like the guy says to do, and even demonstrates in his drill, by saying that sometime later you’re sure they do it. But you completely avoided commenting on the Eddie Feigner clip I posted that clearly shows he does not turn the ball out anytime before his arm passes his head like your guy teaches. Even though you insinuated he did.

I hope I answered your question “what am I missing”. If not then you don’t really wanna know IMO. You’re just stuck on “the ball turns out” and are completely ignoring the when and why. It is my opinion that you are not, and never have been a pitcher. And that is not a slam on you. It’s just obvious that you see something, and heard some pitching dude with a USA Softbsll shirt on come up with a reason to do it, and you believed him because it made sense VISUALLY.

I’m here to tell you that things aren’t always as they seem. This is NO DIFFERENT then Jenny Finch teaching hello elbow if you know what I mean. ITS JUST NOT TRUE.

Thank for the conversation.

Jul 14, 2008
Sorry Sky but I keep running across clips in my archives. You mentioned how you know Cat does it, You sure? Because this actual clip of Cat show ZERO indication that she purposely turns the ball out at anytime during the circle.

28FDE5A1-1D8B-4F53-80CC-D47B5E490E27.gif

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Sorry Sky but I keep running across clips in my archives. You mentioned how you know Cat does it, You sure? Because this actual clip of Cat show ZERO indication that she purposely turns the ball out at anytime during the circle.

View attachment 17128
This is what I see. Same hand location under the ball for this delivery style.

- Softball Pitching: Slow motion Delivery

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Ok Sky look, I’m not sure why you’re not hearing the other half of the conversation. My half. So one more time my friend.

You posted a video of a guy who is blatantly teaching something, that, while it may happen to a lessor or greater degree later in the circle, I.E. the ball turning outward at some point, earlier in some, and later in others, IS NOT DONE ON PURPOSE by ANY high level pitcher, It is NOT a move that is used by any high level pitcher to “unlock” the elbow. It is not a move taught by any high level instructor (outside his fantasy) to “unlock an elbow”.

And in fact, I’d venture to say if any pitcher came to any other high level instructor and said, “my previous pitching coach told me to twist the ball inside out to unlock my elbow on the way up the circle”, they would be told to never do that again.

All you have to do is look at the girl doing the wall drill I posted. She has the ball turned inside out against the wall and her elbow is almost perfectly straight all the way around.

So one once again, this guy has no idea what he’s talking about on this subject.

Last, I noticed you commented on the pictures I posted of the female pitchers who’s hands were clearly not turned out above the nose like the guy says to do, and even demonstrates in his drill, by saying that sometime later you’re sure they do it. But you completely avoided commenting on the Eddie Feigner clip I posted that clearly shows he does not turn the ball out anytime before his arm passes his head like your guy teaches. Even though you insinuated he did.

I hope I answered your question “what am I missing”. If not then you don’t really wanna know IMO. You’re just stuck on “the ball turns out” and are completely ignoring the when and why. It is my opinion that you are not, and never have been a pitcher. And that is not a slam on you. It’s just obvious that you see something, and heard some pitching dude with a USA Softbsll shirt on come up with a reason to do it, and you believed him because it made sense VISUALLY.

I’m here to tell you that things aren’t always as they seem. This is NO DIFFERENT then Jenny Finch teaching hello elbow if you know what I mean. ITS JUST NOT TRUE.

Thank for the conversation.
Finally got to glance through I/R in the Classroom in the SOFTBALL SKILLS AND TRAINING Softball Pitching. Very nice. Going to study in detail.

Thanks much for that shot of Eddie Feigner. He’s one of my heroes. His elbow and hand position when the ball is in front of his face are unique. Maybe that why he could throw 100 MPH.

No I never pitched, just an avid student. In fact have only played in one fast pitch game. It was against the King and His Court. Mr. Feigner struck me on a change up, then let me hit one to the short stop for one of their trick plays. It was such a delight playing with those four gentlemen.

On again thanks much for you responses. I’m off to study now :)

Jul 14, 2008
Ok well now I’m a little lost Sky. You spent most of this thread claiming that turning the ball outward on purpose is a good move in the pitching motion. I pretty much debunked that idea with several examples proving it’s s wrong. Then you finish by posting a video that is a perfect example of how there is no turning the ball outward on the way up the circle to unlock an elbow.

Bottom line. If this latest clip of Carly Schoenberg is your model then follow it. Because it’s good, and it actually came from Phil and Carly studying my initial internal rotation post here so many years ago.

Now If this is your model, then RUN AWAY, FAST AND FAR.

1587047530199.png

This is what I see. Same hand location under the ball for this delivery style.

- Softball Pitching: Slow motion Delivery

Mar 28, 2014
Ok well now I’m a little lost Sky. You spent most of this thread claiming that turning the ball outward on purpose is a good move in the pitching motion. I pretty much debunked that idea with several examples proving it’s s wrong. Then you finish by posting a video that is a perfect example of how there is no turning the ball outward on the way up the circle to unlock an elbow.

Bottom line. If this latest clip of Carly Schoenberg is your model then follow it. Because it’s good, and it actually came from Phil and Carly studying my initial internal rotation post here so many years ago.

View attachment 17136
I think this is his way of admitting to being wrong this whole time.? All I can think of.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020

View attachment 17136
1st thing I saw this morning in the I/R in the Classroom was your hand being under the ball in the "Liberty Drill" & "Show it And Throw it" like Carly and Cat's. That still you have of Larry Wendel is the same location of hand and elbow positioning as Eddie Feigner. Maybe its an old man thing lol. And yes there are excellent instructors that teach turning the ball to the outside of the circle early. Like I said, I am an avid student and will pick the brains of many so I can make adjustments to the player that suit their needs, not mine. Sort of like hitting, fielding and throwing.

Once again thank you sir.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55