Lock it In drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Should the shoulders be staying level, or is it OK for them to dip a little?

And I think I can see what DNeeld is referring to about the wrist - right around “10:30” she appears to pull her wrist back slightly (I don’t know if that’s a +\-, just confirming an observation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Should the shoulders be staying level, or is it OK for them to dip a little?

And I think I can see what DNeeld is referring to about the wrist - right around “10:30” she appears to pull her wrist back slightly (I don’t know if that’s a +\-, just confirming an observation).

Shoulders need to stay level with the hips. Like shoe boxes stacked up. They can tilt but they all have to tilt together. If shoulders tilt but hips stay level to the ground you’re not stacked anymore.

I like to start focusing on the hips at this point if she starts to bend at the hip especially on front hip when she increases speed she will money butt(stick her butt out) or bend forward at hips. Watch for stacked and solid form. It will help with the whip also.

Aug 17, 2019
I like to start focusing on the hips at this point if she starts to bend at the hip especially on front hip when she increases speed she will money butt(stick her butt out) or bend forward at hips. Watch for stacked and solid form. It will help with the whip also.

I think I understand what you and the previous posters have said. Could someone possibly post an example regarding “stacked” just to make sure we practice correctly.

I know my DD. She will totally monkey butt, if we don’t attack the hips/stacked posture.

Aug 17, 2019
Shoulders need to stay level with the hips. Like shoe boxes stacked up. They can tilt but they all have to tilt together. If shoulders tilt but hips stay level to the ground you’re not stacked anymore.

I’m just assuming by tilt, you are referring to her back shoulder??? When I looked at the video, I noticed her back shoulder was much lower than her front, and her back kind of “bows” inward.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Knit picking a little on the wrist. Looks slightly extended. Should have some flex at the top as it comes up at 3. Who knows maybe I’m seeing things. Getting old. Lol

Gotcha! I agree and she could definitely play with a little flexion, as long as it feels loose and whippy.

Nov 8, 2018
I’m just assuming by tilt, you are referring to her back shoulder??? When I looked at the video, I noticed her back shoulder was much lower than her front, and her back kind of “bows” inward.

Her shoulder is tilted yes but her hips are not tilted with the shoulders. Not stacked. Hip tilt and shoulder tilt or not tilt needs to be together. Like a picture frame from shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip. All moving at the same level.

Nov 8, 2018
Gotcha! I agree and she could definitely play with a little flexion, as long as it feels loose and whippy.

Exactly!!!! Definitely tight too but didn’t want to go into all the detail. Ha

Sep 28, 2015

Think of it as the position you would be in if you were anchoring a tug of war match, holding a wall up with your back, riding a skateboard/snowboard.
Knees are slightly bent standing at a slight angle, and the pelvis is tilting into the hips. All these use the backside to stay centered on the legs.

Not being stacked is things like the hips sliding sideways into one leg, leaning any direction, bending at hips. Generally not in a position of power to use the backside so they use other weaker muscles (arms).

Sep 29, 2014
Doing good work since this is just isolation drill, but I would still probably try and work in lower body working correctly you can do this for this drill anyway by simply having her get her back heel off the ground as she starts the motion (instead of waiting until after release) so that when she releases the ball she is at correct position my guess is this fixes the "unstacked" look problem she can't be stacked because with her heel on the ground her hip simply can't release....one of these days I'll make a video I promise....I just see this so often and doing a few isolation exercises you can feel it instantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00