Lock it In drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
IR takes time.. a lot of it. I've been working on it with my DD since April of this year, and she's still not even close to where she needs to be.

Nov 8, 2018
Wait till she gets the drills down and you love to full circle.
The frustration will start all over.
Putting it all together is a huge challenge many times. My dd moved in and out of proper whip.
It’s usually when she is TRYING to throw hard. Or forcing the pitches.
Yeah. Ive had my share of pulling my hair out days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
One idea that might help is to draw a dot (or eye) on the ball and ask her to whip it into the net or to the person in front of her.

Speaking of eyes, more often than not, the distraction of control gets in the way of development. Eliminate it by reminding her that the person in front of her is a fetcher, not a catcher. Use a net and a bucket of balls if that helps. As she works into "unlock it," have her throw several without a ball, then give her 3-4 tries to get it with a ball. If she has two bad reps in a row, change something: eyes closed, move closer, dry reps. Have her assess using a camera with a slow motion feature. Have her throw in front of a mirror.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 8.21.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 8.21.42 AM.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 23
Aug 17, 2019
Here is a recent video. We tried a “K”drill today, with no regard to accuracy or spin. What are the problems? Is she doing anything close IR?

Nov 8, 2018
Here is a recent video. We tried a “K”drill today, with no regard to accuracy or spin. What are the problems? Is she doing anything close IR?

Yeah there’s ir going on there.
Have her stop at 45 degrees and not step follow thru. Have her flex her wrist some as well at the beginning. She’s a bit extended. But bravo. Pretty good for now.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree with Doc, but not exactly sure about the wrist part. I think it looks a little mechanical, but overall, it's a really good start.

Nov 8, 2018
I agree with Doc, but not exactly sure about the wrist part. I think it looks a little mechanical, but overall, it's a really good start.

Knit picking a little on the wrist. Looks slightly extended. Should have some flex at the top as it comes up at 3. Who knows maybe I’m seeing things. Getting old. Lol

Sep 28, 2015

That looks close. A small but important thing to realize is that she should not be driving the elbow down into the hip.
Have her stand at a 45 degree angle, drop the hips (think staying stacked like riding a snowboard), and pull the shoulders back. This should engage her back and backside and make her elbow roll around her hip... not into it.
This should be done with minimal body and when done right her weight will stay back and the brush and whip will be sharp!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles