Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here are two talking about the same thing. For you DD, suggest being most aware of the arms moving in synch and fingers up or towards 3rd base line at 9 o'clock. If her chest turns to the catcher, she is pushing the ball rather than pulling it.

- Softball Pitching: I/R Drill Tips

- Balswick Fastpitch - Video 1

Sep 19, 2018
I am by no means an expert. I am teaching myself how to do this with my dd. Though she is seeing a tincher and I am not. What I am seeing i her picking up her hand by bending the elbow. That is not correct.

I can't imagine that I can do a better job that the above to videos. But if they are not clicking, with her hand at her side, try rotating at the shoulder. Just make the bicep roll outward. That will rotate the forearm and hand with it. Moving them back just a little bit. At her size, her hand might only be 6 inches from her hip. There is not a lot of movement until you get to the 9:00 drill.

Aug 20, 2017
Swamp, it’s a start! She needs to think about handing the ball to someone behind under a table. She’s bending the elbow too much. Couple other things: make sure she doesn’t take the ball behind her body. The catcher should be able to see the ball the entire time. If she takes it behind her body, she is going to close her shoulders at release as mentioned above. Allow her to spin the ball to the right with her hand moving towards a left handed batter with no shoulder movement. You can set up a couple steps to her right. This will help her not want to close shoulders at release.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Fun stuff all! What worked for me personally was to feel the wrist turn over naturally at release when I snapped the release so I looked like the ones doing it correctly. With and without the ball in hand.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Don't know if you have had the opportunity to see these. They helped me to understand much better.

- You Pitch Funny

- Pushing, pulling and posture

Jul 14, 2008
She’s only missing 2 things really. A little more relaxed Fluidity and EXTERNAL ROTATION on the way up to 9:00.

It’s a fluid drill by starting at the bottom with the ball Facing inward. As she moves up the back she should turn the ball upward as she moves to 9:00. Some kids seem to position the ball better at 9:00 by thinking “back of the hand faces the ground“ vs. ball or palm up.

On the other hand, some kids just don’t understand the motor skill of how to turn to palm up going backwards because it’s counter intuitive. Using a modified form of the magician drill where she literally throws the ball backwards as she moves up to 9:00 will help her body learn to get to palm up through an external rotation ball toss to the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13