Pitcher bending arm TOO much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2022
So I have been a pitcher all my life. I went to college to pitch. Won a state tournament pitching 43 games in a high school season. Won Gatorade Player of the Year for TN in 2013. I know A LOT about pitching and what it takes to be a pitcher. I have been doing lessons for a VERY long time, too. There are very few problems I cannot fix or do not know how to fix.

Anyways, I have been giving lessons to the same girl for about 5 years now. I have never had any mechanical problems out of her until she grew about 6 inches and now cannot stop bending her arm like excessively. She has always been one of the top pitchers of mine. Practices all the time, does anything you ask her to do, plays high level travel ball, and has the absolute best attitude you can ever want.

I have tried fixing her glove hand thinking that its pulling out and pulling her shoulder and hip out which could make her hand bend like that.
I tried putting her against a wall and pitching so she can feel her arm stay tight to her body.
I have tried arm circles up close. TONS of arm circle drills.
I bought a tool to put on her leg so when she pitches she must touch it to know she was close to her body.
I tried working on hand positioning.
Working on fixing her arm circle cause she started changing it and going around her head.
Keep in mind she NEVER used to do any of this. It literally happened over night.
She is an 8th grader, so still very young. Throws mid 50's, but not she is releasing the ball way outside her body and putting stress on her rotator cuff, shoulder, elbow especially, and basically just her whole arm.
She lost about 10 sometimes even 15 miles per hour on ALL her pitches.
She cant throw anything accurate at all.
She is pretty aggressive off the mound and has pretty good push. I know it has something to do with her WHIP or through her K part of her motion.
I have made her to every whip drill possible. We have worked with noodles.
I made her take a break during December because I thought it was mental.
I contacted my pitching coach and have done everything she said.
I am aware she is too far away from her hip coming back and forward through the beginning of her motion. We have worked on that over and over again.
Like I said. I have NOOOO clue if its because she is growing too fast and can't feel her body, but I need help.

But heres the kicker.
1. She can do her motion beautifully up close and slow. I have NO clue how but its pretty close to perfect.
and 2. She thinks she is keeping her arm long when its bent that much. Like she can't feel what she is doing. (and like I said, she has ALWAYS been able to feel what she's doing because she has been taught correctly.)

Every picture is of a fastball.
She keeps snapping it almost like a screw just way away from her hip. Sometimes its like a curve. I am at a loss. I can try to send pictures of her when she was like 10 or 11 to show you what it used to look like also to prove this bad habit started basically overnight.

Attachments

• pitching 1.jpg
    pitching 1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 151
  • pitching 2.jpg
    pitching 2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 153
  • pitching 3.jpg
    pitching 3.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 157
  • pitching 4.jpg
    pitching 4.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 158
  • pitching 5.jpg
    pitching 5.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 154
  • pitching.jpg
    pitching.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 150
Jul 31, 2015
"She thinks she is keeping her arm long when its bent that much. Like she can't feel what she is doing. (and like I said, she has ALWAYS been able to feel what she's doing because she has been taught correctly.)"

Could be the softball pitching equivalent of the twisties, i.e. the yips.

Not being able to sense where her body is spatially is a telling sign. And growing 6" in short time could certainly cause it.

Perhaps slow down, have her do flips and arm circles, no pitching for a while.
Work on strength and conditioning to allow her brain to gain a better sense of her new body, and let her musculature and nervous system catch up to their new reality.

Really interested in what others have to say.

Jan 21, 2022
"She thinks she is keeping her arm long when its bent that much. Like she can't feel what she is doing. (and like I said, she has ALWAYS been able to feel what she's doing because she has been taught correctly.)"

Could be the softball pitching equivalent of the twisties, i.e. the yips.

Not being able to sense where her body is spatially is a telling sign. And growing 6" in short time could certainly cause it.

Perhaps slow down, have her do flips and arm circles, no pitching for a while.
Work on strength and conditioning to allow her brain to gain a better sense of her new body, and let her musculature and nervous system catch up to their new reality.

Really interested in what others have to say.
SO.. that is another thing I forgot to mention. I did have her do that. I majored in exercise science and got my personal training license a couple years ago. I wrote her a workout plan to do during her break she took. It has gotten a little better but not much.

Jul 31, 2015
Sorry to say, if it's a neurological condition like the yips recovery/repair is going to be measured in months, not weeks.

Agree that video would be useful, esp before and after.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looking at the picture her arm is about to go way to far what would be over her head. So, it corrects by going away from her body at release.

The problem starts out with her arm and hand going being to far away from the body at the start. Which takes the arm over her head and then away from the body at release.

It just compounds everything when starting off wrong.

Jan 21, 2022
Looking at the picture her arm is about to go way to far what would be over her head. So, it corrects by going away from her body at release.

The problem starts out with her arm and hand going being to far away from the body at the start. Which takes the arm over her head and then away from the body at release.

I agree. It has gotten a little better in that regard. I use to make her wear this band around her leg and she would have to hit it when it came back on her load. Hit it again on her way forward, and then again on her snap so everything was as close to her hip as possible: it helped but not as much as you’d think.

Jan 21, 2022

Here’s the start of the problem…

View attachment 24920
I 100% agree. Which is what I had told her. Put a plunger and a pool noodle right next to her. Put her against a wall. Put a band around her leg to make her hit the band on her way past her hip. Put two poles and a string up so she wouldn’t hit it. If you can think of any more drills please do:

Jul 19, 2021
I 100% agree. Which is what I had told her. Put a plunger and a pool noodle right next to her. Put her against a wall. Put a band around her leg to make her hit the band on her way past her hip. Put two poles and a string up so she wouldn’t hit it. If you can think of any more drills please do:
As mentioned above, it looks like the backswing is the culprit. It starts bad and everything after that is simply her body trying to correct it. Wanna try something outside of the box? What about having her pitch some out of the glove. That would eliminate the backswing, where everything starts to go bad and is the root cause, and help her feel the proper circle. Wouldn't have to stay coming out of the glove, unless she likes it. Could slowly go back to a backswing once she starts to feel a proper circle shape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45