Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Thanks much for that shot of Eddie Feigner. He’s one of my heroes. His elbow and hand position when the ball is in front of his face are unique. Maybe that why he could throw 100 MPH.

I know this has nothing to do with the raging debate going on here but, BigSky, you don't really believe this do you? Just curious.

Apr 17, 2019
I'm going to try to add something constructive here without throwing gas on this fire...

I personally had issues with the arm locking out at 9 o'clock.... didn't matter how many lock it in drills, gravity drills, show it drills... when I went full speed it locked out. Too many years of HE, I guess. So I started playing with the orientation of the ball through the circle. Here's what I've found. FOR ME, when I think about orienting the ball to the outside coming up the circle from 6 through 12, it allows me to supinate the hand between 12 and 9, encouraging scap load as a side effect, and keeps that bend in the arm at 9 o'clock, thereby allowing whip and pronation. YMMV.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I know this has nothing to do with the raging debate going on here but, BigSky, you don't really believe this do you? Just curious.
Softball Pitching Star Eddie Feigner - The Washington Post
www.washingtonpost.com › archive › local › 2007/02/11

At his peak, Mr. Feigner threw a softball harder than any major league pitcher has ever thrown a baseball. His underhand fastball was once timed at 104 mph -- or, according to some accounts, 114 mph. The fastest documented pitch ever thrown by a major league pitcher is 103 mph.Feb 11, 2007

Got to believe what you see on the internet lol

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I'm going to try to add something constructive here without throwing gas on this fire...

I personally had issues with the arm locking out at 9 o'clock.... didn't matter how many lock it in drills, gravity drills, show it drills... when I went full speed it locked out. Too many years of HE. So I started playing with the orientation of the ball through the circle. Here's what I've found. FOR ME, when I think about orienting the ball to the outside coming up the circle from 6 through 12, it allows me to supinate the hand between 12 and 9, encouraging scap load as a side effect, and thereby keeping that bend in the arm between 9 and 6, and allowing pronation. YMMV.
No more smoke on the fire here thanks goodness :D

Aug 21, 2008
Ok, then I threw 120 mph in my peak. There.... it's on the internet!! ha ha ha.

Feigner did not throw 114. Ty Stofflet didn't throw 104.7 mph either. They didn't throw over 100. Nobody has. The fastest pitcher in the world today is throwing 88mph, and that is with the most liberal of pitching rules ever. During Eddie's heyday, the rules were 2 feet on the rubber, no crow hopping, etc. etc. Now, there are no rules and guys are "only" throwing in the 80's. Lots of pitchers in the 60's, 70's etc. claimed to have thrown 100. I think the confusion comes in when it's not their actual speed, it's what it would equate to in baseball. Plus the speed guns in the 1970's weren't exactly what they are today: accurate. Unless we're talking about ESPN's guns which are routinely 5mph higher than anyone else's.

I knew Eddie fairly well, he was a very nice guy, at least to me. But he was hardly the world's greatest. He WAS smart enough to take his talents and make a show out of it. The WWE of softball if you will. Everything was about their comedy and show... telling people to strike out, etc. Eddie would use a carnival type ball that was light as a whiffle ball so it'd look like it was going 100mph and had crazy movement. Then the opposing pitcher would throw a real ball and look like reality. He was a very good pitcher but he never won a world championship, national championship, played on the National team, or anything like that. But as I said, he made a show out of it and created memories in the game of softball. And good for him!!

Bill

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Ok, then I threw 120 mph in my peak. There.... it's on the internet!! ha ha ha.

Feigner did not throw 114. Ty Stofflet didn't throw 104.7 mph either. They didn't throw over 100. Nobody has. The fastest pitcher in the world today is throwing 88mph, and that is with the most liberal of pitching rules ever. During Eddie's heyday, the rules were 2 feet on the rubber, no crow hopping, etc. etc. Now, there are no rules and guys are "only" throwing in the 80's. Lots of pitchers in the 60's, 70's etc. claimed to have thrown 100. I think the confusion comes in when it's not their actual speed, it's what it would equate to in baseball. Plus the speed guns in the 1970's weren't exactly what they are today: accurate. Unless we're talking about ESPN's guns which are routinely 5mph higher than anyone else's.

I knew Eddie fairly well, he was a very nice guy, at least to me. But he was hardly the world's greatest. He WAS smart enough to take his talents and make a show out of it. The WWE of softball if you will. Everything was about their comedy and show... telling people to strike out, etc. Eddie would use a carnival type ball that was light as a whiffle ball so it'd look like it was going 100mph and had crazy movement. Then the opposing pitcher would throw a real ball and look like reality. He was a very good pitcher but he never won a world championship, national championship, played on the National team, or anything like that. But as I said, he made a show out of it and created memories in the game of softball. And good for him!!

Bill
Funny. The best move I saw him make was in bowling. A 4/10 split blind-folded between the legs.

Jul 14, 2008
The reason I never pitched above A was because no one could catch me at 136 MPH...……

Oh wait, I remember now, that's the golf ball speed off the driver head. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad