Follow Through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Boardmember discussed the problem. In the newest video, she is late with her IR.

The threads are:

Nov 8, 2018
Yes but back to sort of the original question, if she’s leading elbow down with palm up at 9 and getting to pinkie 1st just before 6, what needs to happen between 6 and 3? All the things I’ve read on here is that you get that far and it just happens. If it doesn’t just happen, what is the queue? She had one lesson with a tincher coach and she mentioned skipping rocks, although I’m not sure she picked up on the issue.

I’m responding to general mechanics. This pic shows lack of IR. Can it be qued or actively worked on, yes. I can say it’s way better than the first vid though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Boardmember discussed the problem. In the newest video, she is late with her IR.

The threads are:

Full stop. Late with IR. absolutely.

Nov 22, 2019
I’m responding to general mechanics. This pic shows lack of IR. Can it be qued or actively worked on, yes. I can say it’s way better than the first vid though.

Ironically in the 1st video (which was recorded after the 2nd) she was throwing about 3-5mph faster I’d estimate and was much more accurate. Thus was hoping for an easier fix.

Maybe a more bent elbow through the motion would help?

Nov 8, 2018
Ironically in the 1st video (which was recorded after the 2nd) she was throwing about 3-5mph faster I’d estimate and was much more accurate. Thus was hoping for an easier fix.

Maybe a more bent elbow through the motion would help?

Don’t get caught up in the numbers just yet. You have a good understanding of the mechanics but are missing the main point.
At the bottom. 6-7. At release the hand needs to pronate. Turn down. It will look like fingers go to catcher then wrist will snap inward toward the body. Then roll out into princess hand. Or French kids. Whichever term you want.
You dd has too straight an arm at 9 - 6. Although i havnt seen a rear view all the way through I’ll gather she is butt out and missing brush contact on the rear of the hip.
Do some back changing with tall posture and get that brush down and that will help turn the hand over.
It’s not natural for your dd because she is used to the HE release feel. The “natural” isn’t natural anymore for IR.
You could try to have her stand at 45 , put her arm at say 11, and have her drop her arm. Naturally at the bottom the hand will turn over and in to the body. See if that works to get the feel. Otherwise you have to que it. Have her work to turn it at 6.

Keep reading sticky’s. Watch mike Javasource videos and read his stickies. Here is a start.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes but back to sort of the original question, if she’s leading elbow down with palm up at 9 and getting to pinkie 1st just before 6, what needs to happen between 6 and 3? All the things I’ve read on here is that you get that far and it just happens. If it doesn’t just happen, what is the queue? She had one lesson with a tincher coach and she mentioned skipping rocks, although I’m not sure she picked up on the issue.
I agree with all other posters. My only comment is however it gets done, you need to make sure that the brush interference is happening. If it is not most likely lack of front side resistance and posture are the issue. In my opinion that fixes the late IR due to the fact it requires contact at the ribs with upper arm. I have also used the cue 'throw from the pocket' which DD is literally trying to put the wrist into the hip and have the hand release at the pocket. Rick Pauly has some great training videos on youtube that show how floppy his hands look doing this. I think he is actually promoting a clicker device of some sort as well. I have had my DD do dry throws and land on front foot and push back immediately to feel the force and pressure trying to push her over backwards so that she can get the resistance so that her posture allows for brush. it needs to be a backwards lean(ish).

You commented that this should just happen if you have all the pieces in place, i think you are just missing the posture and brush pieces. Good luck.

Nov 22, 2019
Don’t get caught up in the numbers just yet. You have a good understanding of the mechanics but are missing the main point.
At the bottom. 6-7. At release the hand needs to pronate. Turn down. It will look like fingers go to catcher then wrist will snap inward toward the body. Then roll out into princess hand. Or French kids. Whichever term you want.
You dd has too straight an arm at 9 - 6. Although i havnt seen a rear view all the way through I’ll gather she is butt out and missing brush contact on the rear of the hip.
Do some back changing with tall posture and get that brush down and that will help turn the hand over.
It’s not natural for your dd because she is used to the HE release feel. The “natural” isn’t natural anymore for IR.
You could try to have her stand at 45 , put her arm at say 11, and have her drop her arm. Naturally at the bottom the hand will turn over and in to the body. See if that works to get the feel. Otherwise you have to que it. Have her work to turn it at 6.

Keep reading sticky’s. Watch mike Javasource videos and read his stickies. Here is a start.

Rear view. Some are change-ups but are called out.

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/50007678846/in/album-72157715158705971/

Is this brush or no?

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.25.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks for the video. As expected she is “monkey butt”. Which causes a pass thru of the arm without brush and ultimately no IR.
cb07badfad3c340919c22a61f10740ea.jpg

She posture here. Leaning over butt off to the left and arm passes right through. Typical HE release pattern.
9af6c9f1d84e4df3dd43cc114fc2b6ea.jpg

Here you will see how late she is on IR. Palm still up way past release.
d2f4f3138a207c8c4ab6e5ea66dc4a73.jpg

Pretty good show it position ball at catcher. But the arm is way too straight. You will see at 11 arm is poker straight as well then all the way to release.
785cc7fd4fcf3a9531dd0e47a8331cb5.jpg

Here at about 10-11. Straight arm. Decent body position and posture.
6e1d407d322e55a868633ca7ec57a4a8.jpg

Arm super straight. Ball position is good. She starts her lean over and ultimately misses the brush.

Have her get some bend in the arm. Tall posture at release so she can make some contact. Maybe que her to bring her hip to her arm. Pull down the back of the circle as well.
She’s close but not there yet.
Takes time but you all are working hard on it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
In my opinion she is getting open and staying open as well. Driving out and essentially whole body facing 3rd. With my DD we focused on straight drive forward and body will normally open as needed but stay closed enough to stack the rear leg and allow for the brush. As the good Dr stated, stay tall by getting good balanced front side resistence off of a straight drive and verify brush always.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles